GDT: Canucks in the Tank - 7:30, TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks in the Tank - 7:30, TSN

Post by Cornuck »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the Canucks have a great game and beat the Sharks tonight. Why? Because this team is full of surprises, good and bad, and they will frustrate us tonight by playing balls-to-the-wall and leave use scratching our heads.

NHL.com Preview
Canucks.com Game Notes
TSN.com Tale of the Tape

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Cancuks in the Tank - 7:30, TSN

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I hope your right.

I would LOVE for Sundin to come out and just dominate. Couple goals, a plethora of helpers, something to really make us think he can be great again.

Also, I hope we beat the ever loving shit out of them. I hope Davison beats up Claude Lemieux, and I really hope we get on Dan Boyle with some hard forechecking and try to take them out of the game with some tough play.

Hopefully getting away from GM place, and being given zero chance to win this game will help lift some of the expectations heading into the allstar break.

Finally, I'd like to see us win the shootout. Preferably with Luongo making all three stops.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I hope your right.

I would LOVE for Sundin to come out and just dominate. Couple goals, a plethora of helpers, something to really make us think he can be great again.

Also, I hope we beat the ever loving shit out of them. I hope Davison beats up Claude Lemieux, and I really hope we get on Dan Boyle with some hard forechecking and try to take them out of the game with some tough play.

Hopefully getting away from GM place, and being given zero chance to win this game will help lift some of the expectations heading into the allstar break.

Finally, I'd like to see us win the shootout. Preferably with Luongo making all three stops.
You believe in the tooth fairy too???? A rusty Luongo... and a 1/2 rusty Sundin.. plus injured Demitra and we are going to beat the best team in the league in their tank??? And win in a shootout??? .. Good weed you got :)... However , that said, I think the Canucks will come out stronger and it should be a good game.. Salo back in the line up will help the D big time.. Looking forward to a decent effort tonight and a good hockey game... be a bonus if by some fluke the Canucks pick up a point or two..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks in the Tank - 7:30, TSN

Post by levelheaded »

I'd like to think we'll win, but I get the feeling we won't. I say this is the straw that break's Vigneault's back. 6-2 Sharks. Louie pulled after 1.

However, a win would be great and an excellent way to motivate the team before the allstar break. We have to play near perfect for the next couple months to make the playoffs, so beating the best team in the league would help. Doing it in the Shark Tank is pretty much an impossibility though.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

San Jose comes out half asleep thinking they can beat the Canucks if they try for the first 5 minutes. San Jose tries and because the hockey gods have decided to toy with the Canuck faithful, they (San Jose) don't score. Given that San Jose was out boozing it up last night, they are quickly bagged and ultimately fall to the mighty Blue and Green warriors.

Canucks win 4-3, but sadly, not in the shootout.

Goals by Pyatt, Sundin, Burrows and the Tooth Fairy (I BELIEVE). And a hat trick for Clod Le-mew (no limb for me, I am traipsing out there on a twig).

Hopefully Biekaskaksakska (take that, Harry Neale) will get in a fight. He can't seem to do anything else lately, so maybe he hasn't forgotten how to fight.
Last edited by dr.dork on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Lemieux is going to be looking to make a statement, so goading him into a penalty or ten shouldn't be too hard. Special teams will be key tonight. If we can stay out of the box and convert once or twice we should have a shot. Other than that we're screwed.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I'm scared of this one.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mikodat wrote: You believe in the tooth fairy too???? A rusty Luongo... and a 1/2 rusty Sundin.. plus injured Demitra and we are going to beat the best team in the league in their tank??? And win in a shootout??? .. Good weed you got :)... However , that said, I think the Canucks will come out stronger and it should be a good game.. Salo back in the line up will help the D big time.. Looking forward to a decent effort tonight and a good hockey game... be a bonus if by some fluke the Canucks pick up a point or two..
It's good shit brother, makes me more mellow so i don't jump off the balcony during the game.

I don't have much faith in this game. My reserve unit trains tonight so I'll have to catch the highlights. Hopefully they at least make a statement to the effect of: we can play hockey without embarrassing ourselves. A good effort against the best in the league, will go a long way to bumping the slump after the all star break.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I'm just hoping that no one else on this team gets injured tonight. Sadly, hoping for anything better seems unrealistic at this point and even hoping for an injury-free game is a bit much these days.

Actually, what I do hope is that somebody on the team finally gets fed up and dares the rest of the dressing room to make San Jose pay physically for whatever points they get tonight. If they can't beat'em on the scoreboard, may as well beat them up on the ice. That said, the Sharks have their goons as well. Even so, it may send a message that there are no easy points against this team. I don't care if the Canucks penalty box is full for the whole 60 minutes, because evidently staying out of the box is working soooo well :roll: If they lose, fine, you can't win them all. But if they're going to lose, at least go down swinging one way or another.

It would be the most entertainment I can hope for tonight....
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Just hoping for a good effort. A win would be beautiful, but good showings by Sundin and Luongo headed into the break would be a sign of hope, and that is worth something in of itself at this point.

Is Salo a possibility? Would be nice to get him in for a game before the break as well.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Salo is in. I hope he plays the whole game, Bieksa and Edler need a few minutes cut back. Bieksa will be much better, I think, at around 20 mins/game rather than the 25 he's been playing recently. Hopefully he can jump into the play without getting too fatigued by the big mintues, which should be left to Ohlund and Mitchell.

Salo will replace Demitra on the point for the PP, me thinks. Hopefully they collapse, forgetting the howitser has returned.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Just want them to battle. Skate hard, hit hard, check hard.
Hopefully Luongo and Sundin can shake off some more rust.
Salo should help the D by taking some of the others minutes.
Raymond should be back in replacing the injured Demitra.
Let's go into the break on a high note.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Jeez Hansen has awful hands. Guy gives it his all, but just can't handle the puck at the required speed. Not sure he can be an NHL player unless that improves.
Miller Time
AHL Prospect

Post by Miller Time »

Not a bad start but Edler and O'Brien look awful, they should not be paired together. Salo has calmed the defense down a bit, but Bieksa is still making panicked plays in his own end. Would like to notice Sundin's presense other than in the penalty box.
Stupidity doesn't count as a handicap - park elsewhere.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Great period. Battled hard, got the puck in deep and put pressure on SJ's defense. Lots of hustle on the backcheck. The Canucks made the Sharks work to move the puck.

Now back it up with another good one!
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!