GDT: Sharks in the Garage! 7pm CBC - NHLN(US)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Sharks in the Garage! 7pm CBC - NHLN(US)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

This is the Canucks without Luongo.

Guys, no point in fingering people. Without our best player/starting goalie (and even with him) we're going to be in tough against the best team in hockey.

Without Luongo we're not a playoff team. So it stands to reason that we won't win many games without him. I'm actually suprized we've stayed in the race seeing he's been out 23 games already. Hopefully he hurries back and we can sneak in at 5-8.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:This is the Canucks without Luongo.

Guys, no point in fingering people. Without our best player/starting goalie (and even with him) we're going to be in tough against the best team in hockey.

Without Luongo we're not a playoff team. So it stands to reason that we won't win many games without him. I'm actually suprized we've stayed in the race seeing he's been out 23 games already. Hopefully he hurries back and we can sneak in at 5-8.
And (combined with the other thread) this is exactly what I mean. Luongo is a great goalie, but the team around him just is not good enough. Put the two parts together, and you've got a 'decent' team. But 'decent' doesn't win in the playoffs. The only chance is if Luongo stands on his head, and pinning your hopes on one guy instead of 23 means you have a puncher's chance, that's all. The skaters are showing these days that they cannot rise above adversity and get the job done.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Well Sid, I don't know. We've seen lesser teams make it to the finals with great goaltending and timely offense, there's no reason to suggest the Canucks can't do it. I'll agree the odds are definately not stacked in their favour, but never say never.

We have all the ingredients for possible success (gritty checking, deep bottom 6, depth on D, superstar goalie, 1.75 lines that can score), and I wouldn't put it past the Sharks to have yet another post-season meltdown and fizzle out early in the postseason. We just need to get to the dance, and like you said...a punchers chance is all we might need. The margin between victory and defeat is so narrow these days one or two more pieces (Boyle and Blake in the case of SJ) can be all it takes. Don't write this team off just yet...they're by no means favorite, but with a healthy roster they should probably take the Northwest.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

A couple things noticeable this game ... 1... Goaltending.. 2nd goal should of been stopped.. and that would change tempo of the game..( Luongo coming back remedies that ). 2... Sundin rounding into shape nicely.. looking great on PP.. should be in top form after all star break..( a 1 b line ? ) 3.. Bieksa is not doing the job as point man.. too wild with his shots.. ( Salo coming back should remedy that )... Still money in the pot to pick up either top D or sniper at trade deadline as rentals.. if team looks like a top contender ( and I think it will )... O'brien is looking better as season goes on.. ( hopefully does not take as many penalties as season progresses ).. Johnson line looking good.. All in all.. maybe the best Canucks team we've had in 10 years..Keenans Flames might be too hard to catch... but think we'll get a ticket to the big show .. anywhere from 5th to 8th is just fine with me..

Now ... we just got to win a few games :)...
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(