LaBarbera for a 7th

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: LaBarbera for a 7th

Post by ClamRussel »

Cornuck wrote:After the King's Cloutier fiasco, they ended up with a number of young goalie. Ersberg and Quick will need time, but could become a solid tandem for them.
Until Jonathan Bernier arrives that is.
Lancer wrote:So I guess it's LaBarbera splitting time with Schneider. I think what this says is the management doesn't feel confident that Schneider can start night to night with Lou out. I don't think it's necessarily a knock on Cory, because this is still his first NHL stint and is young and is proving he still needs experience in the AHL. Let LaBarbera start the comfy majority of the games with Cory getting a couple starts and hopefully Lou won't be coming back to a less-than-.500 club. That said, could this trade be saying something about the seriousness of Lou's injury?

Thing is, what happens when Lou and Sanford come back? Does it make LaBarbera or Schneider the trade bait? What's better? Having LaBarbera cooling his heels in Winnipeg and trading Schneider in a package for somebody significant, or having Schneider develop in Winnipeg and trading him for less than a 7th/losing him on waiver?

What if this is a gentleman's deal, and Vancouver trades LaBarbera back for the same 7th rounder once Sanford comes back? Has such a thing ever happened? Crazy, but it's a thought....
Clearly Schnieder isn't ready but I don't think its as much a reflection on that as "who the heck is going to be his backup" then?!? Julien Ellis? omfg. Getting Labarbera simply adds some depth, nothing wrong with that while we're having injury troubles.

If he gets sent to the minors he'll be Schnieder's backup there and help the Moose get even better than they are. Schnieder is not going to get traded anywhere. If anyone is it will be Labarbera again. Sanford has proven to be a solid backup here.

Yes, those gentlemen's deals have happened; off the top of my head Vancouver did it w/ St. Louis before the '82 run when they acquired Nill, Currie & Heinz w/ Heinz going back to the Blues in the off-season. It was a loaner since we needed a backup. Could happen here again although I doubt it as LA wanted to make room for Quick who is clearly ready.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

To me it seems that we robbed the Kings. A 7th round pick (in other words, nothing) for an NHL ready goalie to a team who's two starters are injured? C'mon - even Mad Mike wouldn't make that deal!

If anything, it will force the team to tighten up defensively, which AV knows how to coach, and that can only help us once we get a recently injured goalie back and head (hopefully now) into the playoffs.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

The Kings were already looking to move a goalie with Erik Ersberg coming back. They'll have a young duo in Ersberg and Quick for the rest of the year I think, while Bernier will be the de facto starter in Manchester.

This is a great move. LaBarbera played well enough for the lowly Kings for them to compete for a playoff spot last year, even if it was early in the year. We essentially lose nothing for a 1B goalie who is going to walk at the end of the year. Considering Schneider's numbers and overall "not ready-ness" I wouldn't be surprised if LaBarbera gets the nod more often.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

This is strictly a depth and insurance deal. It has nothing to do with the teams confidence in Schnieder, who by the way played a great game in relief last night and had no chance on the goal he allowed.

It's going to be challenge without Luongo and Sandford, but sometimes teams pull together in the face of that adversity and tighten up other areas of their game to make the situation tolerable.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I like this signing.

It was obvious the Canucks needed a little more depth in goal when luongo went down in Pittsburgh.They where one injury away from having to dress one of their skaters as a goalie.

Schneider getting some NHL experience is good but playing regularly with the Moose is far more beneficial.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

What if this is a gentleman's deal, and Vancouver trades LaBarbera back for the same 7th rounder once Sanford comes back? Has such a thing ever happened? Crazy, but it's a thought....

hmmm yeah LA must love the Canucks... we dropped both Cloutier and Felix Potvin on them.. I am sure the GM is properly grateful..

But this does look like a good deal for the Canucks.. LA drops a little salary.. we get a 1b goaltender. Looks like both Lou and the Sandman will be out for a while.. Schneider did a great job in relief last night but can't be expected to play full time game in game out.. So until injuries heal we will go with combo of Labarb and Schneider... could be worse.. someone might of brought back Cloutier :) ... Looking ahead it would seem that the injuries should be looked after and we can look forward to Lou and Salo + sandman and Johnson in good game shape after the all star break.. as long as the team doesn't drop too far in the standings in the next few weeks I,d say the team is in a decent position for a playoff run.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

It's been said already but...a great pick up. An NHL proven back up goalie who does nothing but add depth to our system for a 7th rounder. We get a 2b goalie who will at best push Sandford a bit once Luongo gets back and at worst makes the Moose a better club.

The only thing we can complain about here is the fact that the Hockey Gods are doing their best to cut our chances at a playoff run. Last year it was injuries on our D and a distraction for Luongo. This year...
R.I.P. Luc.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

This is not a depth move.....'Sandy" is hurt......unless you thing the Canucks will put Sandy on waivers when he is healthy??
I may be wrong..
I would guess that 'The Barber' will now be the starting goaltender.
Sanford would have played with a flesh wound...it must be serious if MG (does he act fast enough to fill spots????)
signs a guy in between frickin periods & gets him on a plane to start the next game
I don't know for sure but I would guess this is not a depth move .....but a right fricken now move.....we need a half decent
starter .....its a fanastic panic pick up.......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Good pick up, we don't know how long Lou will be out, Hopefully in one week it will be LeBarbara and Sandman tandem and who ever is playing better, thats who starts until Lou gets healthy.

When Sandman gets healthy sent Schneider back to the Moose so he can start most nights and continue up grading his skills where he is comfortable.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Labarbera is looking good so far. Nice to see him do good in his debut.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

dangler wrote:I like this signing.

It was obvious the Canucks needed a little more depth in goal when luongo went down in Pittsburgh.They where one injury away from having to dress one of their skaters as a goalie.

Schneider getting some NHL experience is good but playing regularly with the Moose is far more beneficial.
The way LaBarbera has been playing I think Sanfords days are numbered. I think he's on a one way contract so that means he'll have to be traded or released, but LaBarbera is 5 inches taller, and has just played with a passion and fire that Sanford doesnt seem to have. Sanford was happy to play the back up roll and play 12 games a year. He hasnt been a starter since he split time with Legace in STL and it shows. In a way its a good thing he went down and we got someone who can be a starter while Luongo was out. Otherwise we'd still be losing games left right and center (I know this is a bad time to say that seeing as we lost the last two, but hey, we at least gained one point out of both of those shootout debacles)
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

feritflame wrote:The way LaBarbera has been playing I think Sanfords days are numbered. I think he's on a one way contract so that means he'll have to be traded or released, but LaBarbera is 5 inches taller, and has just played with a passion and fire that Sanford doesnt seem to have.
You still have to wonder how much fire LaBarbera would have if he had been Luongo's backup and sat for so many games. Goalies are competitive, and I'm guessing the LaBarbera came in wanting to make an impression (and he's made one). I wouldn't could out Sanford as he has seemed to understand the role of Luongo's backup. I'm thinking that the fire can't start in an instant. He played a couple then Schnieder came in and now it's a tough race.

With luck when Lou gets back, we can package one of them for some help up front.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Cornuck wrote:
feritflame wrote:The way LaBarbera has been playing I think Sanfords days are numbered. I think he's on a one way contract so that means he'll have to be traded or released, but LaBarbera is 5 inches taller, and has just played with a passion and fire that Sanford doesnt seem to have.
You still have to wonder how much fire LaBarbera would have if he had been Luongo's backup and sat for so many games. Goalies are competitive, and I'm guessing the LaBarbera came in wanting to make an impression (and he's made one). I wouldn't could out Sanford as he has seemed to understand the role of Luongo's backup. I'm thinking that the fire can't start in an instant. He played a couple then Schnieder came in and now it's a tough race.

With luck when Lou gets back, we can package one of them for some help up front.
The deal with LaBarbera is he's got this weird bond to the team. I mean he grew up a 'Nucks fan in Langley and if you saw the pregame interview before his first game he was quoted as saying "I cried for a week after they lost in '94"

He has this bond to the team, and plays with this passion that's so much more than any other player on the Canucks. I mean before he was just a goalie for the Kings. That was his job. Now he's playing for his childhood team infront of his friends and family every night. He wants to win for himself, he wants to win for all his friends, he wants to win for the players, and most importantly he wants to win because he's getting the chance to change what happened in '94. He's getting a chance to help his team win. It's not his team anymore just because he's the goalie. This has always been his team and the fact that this is a dream come true has stoked a fire in him that is not re-creatable in any other player. It would be like Luongo or Burrows playing for Montreal. Same dealio.
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
nucklehead88
CC Veteran

Post by nucklehead88 »

i like this labarbera guy more than sandman. i dunno i just dont think sandford stepped up when lou went down and now labarbera is. i think we should trade sanford for a draft pick or two and keep labarbera as a backup. i trust him more
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

nucklehead88 wrote:i like this labarbera guy more than sandman. i dunno i just dont think sandford stepped up when lou went down and now labarbera is. i think we should trade sanford for a draft pick or two and keep labarbera as a backup. i trust him more
It's going to be a tough decision for MG when Luongo comes back... which one can they move to the AHL. Sanford on a 1 year $650K, LaBarbera on a 1 year $850K. ie both FA at the end of the season

Funny no word on Luongo these days, I suppose he's on total rest and will only start training and getting inn to shape when there is a complete healing process. Makes you wonder if they had taken that tack from the beginning
cheers