GDT: Canucks host Oil - 7pm CBC/NHLN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host Oil - 7pm CBC/NHLN

Post by Cornuck »

After what can only be called a disappointing road trip full of losses and injuries, the Canucks return home where they are undefeated. The team has had some time to regroup and work on things like the powerplay (2-24 during road trip). Conversely, we allowed 9 of 20 on the PK.

There's a chance that Hordi could play, while Rypien and Salo are day-to-day. Demitra remains out with fractured rib cartilage. There's also a rumour that Pyatt could 'show up'.

I think that tonight's game will see how this team can play with some injuries, as well as provide some insight to their ability to pull together after adversity. I'd like to see a full 60 minutes of effort regardless of the score - although we are playing a division rival. Eight of the next ten are at home - we need to pile up some points.

TSN Preview
ESPN Preview

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
lifer
CC Veteran

Re: GDT: Canucks host Oil - 7pm CBC/NHLN

Post by lifer »

Hopefully there will be more effort tonight. It's time to turn things around in front of the home crowd. I am totally unimpressed with Pyatt so far this year also (and most of last year) will he throw a bodycheck? Will Luongo play more than an average game? I can't stand loosing to Alberta teams. Go Canucks Go!
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I hate the term 'statement game' but it really applies here I think. We need a solid 60 minute effort and at least a point tonight to really bust out of this slump. A win would put us back at .500 and in good position to start regaining some of the ground we lost. Edmonton is in a bit of a spiral down as well. They've lost two in a row after a good start, and will also be looking to get back on track.

Horcoff, Luongo and The Sedins are the X-factors for me tonight. Horcoff always seems to play well against us, and if we don't shut him down (along with Hemsky, Penner, Cole and Gagner) we're in for a rough night. If we can come out early and check his line into oblivion, perhaps they'll get discouraged and start trying to goon it up (one of the few things I give us the edge in). Plus we always preform better in rough games.

Luongo (yet again) needs a solid rebound game. Columbus was better, but he was once again outplayed by his counterpart at the other end of the rink. He just has to get back to dominating or we're toast. As for the Sedins, man are those guys in a slump. I've felt they've had some chances the last couple games (Bernier was robbed at least twice by Leclaire), but when they're on they're capable of making sure that puck goes into the net. They're not cycling as well as they should, and they're trying strange plays off the rush which really doesn't suit their style. Bernier seems unsure what to do half the time because Daniel and Henrik are trying so many things at once.

All in all should be a good game. Both teams trying to make amends after some bad losses, and a history of rough games should make for some entertaining hockey. 8-)

I say 3-1 Nucks. Bieksa with a goal and an assist (he's starting to look like the 06/07 version we all know and love), Daniel with a goal and Hansen with the other. Henrik will have two assists. Pouliot will reply for the Oilers.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

They just retired #7 in favour of the fans.

Way to chepaen our tradition of almost never retiring numbers just before we raise the greatest Canuck of all time's number to the rafters.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

Well, the powerplay is looking better...and Wellwood looks good there on the offensive side. The problem is that he's pretty weak in the defensive zone. The legacy of being a Maple Leaf for so long, I guess.

Lui is looking pretty good (though could we be a little less lackadaisical on the long shoot-ins?)

But, overall, honestly, I continue to feel that the D is looking a little slower.

And why does Steve Armitage call Mason Raymond "macy"?
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

"Massy" Raymond? Please tell me that Scott Oake just happens to know that is what he's called in the room...
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

another d fuck up--bernier & biekas--what the F are you looking at...dumb goal against.

and what's happened to edler, he can't seem to clear, check, or pass anymore? looks like he's going through the sophomore jinx now too...grr
no more Bieksa-bashing!
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

alright, not a bad game. the oilers were definitely tired, and the canucks ended up taking advantage of that. i hope that we didn't use up all of our powerplay goals for the next month. only problem is that lui still looking kinda shaky. that 2nd goal was brutal.

but, a developing story: both krog and wellwood are competing for a spot after demitra comes back. i thought they both played well, and they have a chance for that spot.
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

The goal by Staios was not Bieksa's fault. Bernier should have had him, and didn't even seem to notice. Funny how he barely saw the ice after that... Bieksa, on the other hand, IMHO, was absolutely solid tonight. He was giving it out and getting it. Was anyone else surprised in the 3rd when they saw a Canuck leading the rush deep into the Oilers' zone and suddenly found out it was Bieksa??

Ohlund feeding Erik Cole with the jersey over his head made my night. Ohlie doesn't get mad often, but yeesh... The game misconduct to Cole was the icing on the cake.

The bigger story for me than the unfolding 3-way battle between Wellwood, Krog and Demitra for the 2nd-line spot (and it may turn out that Pyatt gets traded out of the deal), is the emergence of Raymond and Hansen offensively. Raymond, well it's no surprise but Hansen, to me, has added a further offensive dynamic to the Kesler/Burrows line. Nice to see him shooting and burying his chances. I'm with Hrudey that I wouldn't be surprised if Kesler wins the Selke this year. Yeah, it's early in the year, but from what little I've seen of Kesler's play he's playing even better than he did last season.

Louie had a great and horrible game all in one. Came up huge on Pouliot and Gagner and whiffs on the 2nd goal.... Yeah, getting his timing back, new gear, yada yada yada. I hear him say "I feel really good" one more time and I'm going to throw something. Own up that there are some gaps in your game, say that at least you're working on them, and move on. At least we got the W.

All that said, what a game to watch.
Last edited by Lancer on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Interesting game... all the scoring by low rent players... 6 goals ...... 2 each Raymond. Hansen.. plus Wellwood, Krog . Sedin's Pyatt Bernier... maybe the worst 4 forwards on the ice? Luongo ? not up to par but better than last couple games.. good save on penalty shot.. 2nd goal was ridiculous ... looked like Cloutier. Ollie the fighter???? Bieksa starting badly ( 1st penalty of the game ) but ended with a strong game.. Kesler, Burrows still best line overall.. Going to be a tough call for Gillis and AV.. the 6 goals scored by guys that in total don't make as much as Demitra ? Wonder who the " keepers " are? someones gotta be odd man out. ( Pyatt? )
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

well that was fun. Got some wicked tickets from work so that was pretty bitchin.. took my oilers friend.. also bitchin that we won. It was pertty good game bit of sloppy play.Oilers looked pretty bad at times. As did we... but yeah it was really nice to see Raymond get a couple and hopefully get his confidence up and.. hey... Hansen hit the net as i believe someone was asking him to.. anyways it was a wicked game to go to.. oh and that seventh canuck thing.. pretty lame...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Glad to hear you enjoyed the game. I'm also glad to hear that we got three 3rd period goals to take the win. Did the Oil start sucking badly in the 3rd, or did we legitimately earn those goals?

Let's hope this is the beginning of a turnaround.
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

levelheaded wrote:They just retired #7 in favour of the fans.

Way to chepaen our tradition of almost never retiring numbers just before we raise the greatest Canuck of all time's number to the rafters.
No kidding. That whole thing was brutal - honestly the strangest, most awkward, and gimmicky pre-game ceremony I've ever seen. I cringed, repeatedly...

Good game though
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

yeah it is just a blatant rip off of the 12th man in seattle.. but whatever i guess.. I have to say they did a pretty good job getting fans into the games at times.. the go canucks go chant at the start can't hurt though..

yeah i think the canucks really turned it on in the third. and mostly capitalized on there chances. The first two periods were alright a bit sloppy from both teams. THat staios goal looked to be just a bad bounce.
I liked Krog's quick hands recovering the pass back off his feet and poping it in. I had a Wellwood Fan boy just behind me.. guy kept trying to motivate him.. and wow.. two little girls just screaming behind us the whole game.. but yeah enjoyed the game alot.. Pretty happy the game turned out to be a really exciting affair. I gotta say though its going to be hard to spend a hundred bucks or so on tickets just to go to a game anymore.. the more and more i go to games.. as much as i love it.. isn't as worth it at times.. Tv is so good now.. minus sportsnet.. but yeah...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Don't the fans already have a banner? Is the 'Towel Power' banner still up there?