GDT-10/17 - Canucks @Buffalo - 4:30 - SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT-10/17 - Canucks @Buffalo - 4:30 - SNET

Post by Cornuck »

Canucks might have it tough tonight after last night's win against the Wings. Back to back so early in the season will show what kind of shape our guys are in. They might also be looking ahead to a day off before visiting the Hawks on Sunday. This will be a tough weekend, and any points will be welcome. Plus, we're facing a very hot Ryan Miller.

So far, it looks like the team is gelling, but the second line needs 'something'. Posters here have suggested some minor line juggling - before AV for a change. Demitra doesn't look like a prize free agent yet, but it's early. Bernier looks more like the long lost triplet we've waited for since Carter left. So there are many positives in this young year with few negatives.

To quote The Who (again) "The Kids are Alright"

NHL.com Preview
TSN Game Day
ESPN Power Rankings
9 Yes, the Canucks were a no-show against the Caps, but was that a letdown after two fever-pitch tilts versus Calgary? It's early, but Vancouver is showing signs that more than just the Sedins will score.
GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT-10/17 - Canucks @Buffalo - 4:30 - SNET

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

I may be alone here but I think Demitra has been fine - I think he's a big reason that this team has had much more success off the rush:
The Province wrote:"But there's a lot of reasons why it's working.

"For starters there's Pavol. He looks for the trailer more than anyone and we were talking about it the other day. We were saying the late guy has been hit more in the preseason by this guy than happened all last year. This guy really sees the ice."

Another large upgrade this season is the speed on the wing. With Raymond and Hansen on the second and third lines, respectively, they have the jets to take the puck wide and turn a rival defenceman, which gives their defenceman time to get into the rush up the middle.

"Pavol is one of the guys who have the speed to push the D back, and that gives you time," says Mitchell, sporting a massive bruise on his left shoulder.
That speed on offence really backs of the other teams' d and while MayRay / Demitra / Pyatt haven't exactly lit it up, I think we need to give them time to really jell - there are plenty of positives towards that end already.

Nevertheless, I think this team will face another very tough test tonight against a 3-0 Buffalo team with Vanek playing as well as you would expect an $8+ M man should... Since Game 1, Luongo hasn't dominated and on the road, I'd expect that to continue; the PP is a rather pedestrian 2 for 22, while the PK is still finding its feet.

Buffalo 4-1.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Down go the Gaybres tonight.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The question will be if the alright kids have some power left.

Pretty hard tonight against an unbeaten team but maybe that's exactly our chance if they take it too easy ...

Go Canucks Go
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

This has turned into a gongshow, I'm glad I have a men's league game and will miss the rest of the game.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Doesn't look very promising (in kind words)

Buffalo is all over them and even a sharp Sandman wouldn't help. No quality scoring chances so far.

They can be glad just to come out of their defensive zone...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

My two teams play each other tonight, I was really hoping for an OT, but so far it doesn't look too likely. 3-1