GDT - Canucks @ Calgary - 7 Pacific - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT - Canucks @ Calgary - 7 Pacific - CBC

Post by Cornuck »

Oh - is Demitra playing? :?

As much fun as Thursday night's game was, this one is more exciting. Back and forth, some fights - too many penalties, but still a fun game.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Good second period... Rypien and the Kessler line looking good... Where is Demitra , Raymond? Time for our 2nd line to get on the scoreboard...
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

Yeah, Demitra looks out of sync with the rest of his line. Though they had a couple of shifts where they looked dangerous. It's like Raymond is a little to fast, and Pyatt always half a second too slow. It might take 10 games for them to work it out.

I have to say, the Flames look good at times, and then they just kinda fall apart. (some flukey goals tonight though)

Damn, Rypien fed Pardy his lunch!

Nice goal Daniel!
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

... and the bullshit calls are still following Bert...
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ha! And a no-call on Burrows leads to a goal by the Invisible Man.

I think the biggest thing about this game was that we were down 3-1 and came back. We were down 4-3 and came back. That's the kind of spirit that I want to see this year. Over all a good game, good PK, although the Flamers shot themselves in the foot a few times.

21 penalties in the game, and all the goal from both teams were even strength. (Doesn't say alot about the PP).
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

FUCKIN' EH BOYS! Best night ever, down 3-1 and we somehow manage to crawl back and beat the Flamers. This season is really starting to look up. Best team in the west right now. ;)

(Burr has 3 points in 2 games)
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

Cornuck wrote:... and the bullshit calls are still following Bert...
i agree it wasn't boarding or charging, but, with the low standards (crazy call on henrik sedin earlier), he did trip johnson.

i think that i'm starting to agree with tom benjamin. i wish they'd raise the bar a bit.

nice win by the canucks. played crap the first 10 minutes, dug a huge hole, but then showed some toughness, started hitting, and came back. the sedins were just flying. i haven't seen them play that well for a long time. bernier fits them very well, and i don't think he's totally used to them yet.

marc crawford summed up demitra's game: "did nothing all game, and then scored the winner". and our "third/checking" line should be called the 1c line.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Bit lucky on the no penalty to Burrows.. But nice play to win the game.... Burrows is getting better each year .. Whoopeeeeeeee .. 4 pts in 2 games.. A good close game.. Lou not looking good until after the end of 1st period... Pyatt not playing a big mans game :(.... but Sedin line and Kesler line doing the job again :)

Bring on Ovechkin !! and the Caps :)
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Man, Luongo looked weak tonight. He made some good saves, but he really should own some of those goals. My wife asked half-way through the game, "Does his wife have a cold tonight??"

I can't believe Bieksa's injury luck. Hopefully it won't require surgery.

Mitchell was tooning Iginla until the last punch by Iginla, otherwise a great scrap. Pardy never knew what hit him half-way through the flurry of blows from Rypien. Speaking of whom, I don't think anyone will pro-rate Rypien at this point but he's looking a hell of a lot more productive than Cowan. Two goals in two games and he could have had a third one tonight. I'm waiting for the lingerie to fly....

Johnson is becoming my unsung hero already at this point in the season. I didn't see a bad move out of him and he made some great plays on the PK. O'Brien looked capable out there, but man he must be the slowest of the bunch. Definitely needs some time with Roger Takahashi.

I'm with Cornuck in that the biggest take-away from tonight is the boys battled back from two deficits when they could have packed it in after the 1st. The 3rd line still seems to be our best line. I honestly think Kesler and Burrows will do better this year offensively than last.

Keep'er Goin Boys!!!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Cornuck wrote:Oh - is Demitra playing? :?

he showed up just in time :D
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I'm with Lancer, I was a little bit down on the Johnson signing earlier in the year, but so far he looks incredible. Takes some pressure off Kess and Burr and lets them be a bit more offensive. His shot blocking ability is world class.

As for the game, maybe we didn't deserve the win, but we certainly battled hard enough for the point and overtime is a whole different ball game. Louie wasn't excellent tonight, but he made the big save when necessary (aka when we were down 3-1). Hopefully we can built on this and at least get 3 wins on this road trip.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Loved the Johnson/Hordichuk signings this year and I'm glad they're not making me look stupid. Hordichuk was a bit of a non-factor by Johnson is so positionally sound, he'll lead the league in blocked shots amongst forwards this year, especially with the Canucks PK seemingly more aggressive than last year's.

Burrows' speed is amazing, and the highlight-reel goals he used to score really was a foreshadow to the great hands he's showing this year. With a little more finish he could finish the year with 20. He's a very underrated puck-handler.

Ohlund lost a step last year, but definitely got it back this year. Great job on offense pinching in, making the forwards go wide on him and punishing them along the boards. Him and Mitchell handled Iginla very well.

Mason Raymond's got some great wheels and isn't afraid to shoot the puck - really reminds me of Geoff Sanderson, whom I'm a huge fan of. I wonder how long his legs will last this season - he still hasn't experienced the full 82-game NHL grind yet. He gets lined up for the big hits a lot and just manages to get away, I really hope a defenseman doesn't catch him with his head down anytime soon.

Mike Keenan's really on the hot seat this year. He's not making the coaching adjustments like he should on the Sedins, and boy, Cammalleri's positioning is awful. I counted at least 2 times he was way out of position and led to shots on goal.

We haven't seen too many comeback wins over the past couple of seasons - this is really nice to see. Resilience is key in the West.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

jchockey wrote: Burrows' speed is amazing, and the highlight-reel goals he used to score really was a foreshadow to the great hands he's showing this year. With a little more finish he could finish the year with 20. He's a very underrated puck-handler.
Burrows is an amazing story. My son is a hockey fan/player (with limited skills) and I have always said "look at Alex Burrows, he wasn't drafted, wasn't overly skilled, but you will find nobody that works harder". I have nothing but respect for players like him, no matter what happens after this year or the next.

Who in their right mind (other than a heavyweight) would fight Rypien ? This guy is just a bloody buzz-saw !

The second line is looking lost the first two games, but it look a lot better against teams that are not as physical as Calgary.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Alright, so I'm having people over and after the leaves/Habs game they want to watch the fight network. We flip back and forth, see fights and Canucks losing 3-1. We flip back, 4-4 game. We move to my neighbours place, then go to the Frenchmen's bar in town. As I step foot into the bar, I see the Canucks score the OT winner. I ran around the bar cheering GO CANUCKS GO!! after my beer was served by a midget. It doesn't beat the red fire works, followed by the GO HABS GO chants arund the lake, followed by my dad and my brother firing off their shot guns in celebration, but someone cheering for the Canucks in the L'Armise is pretty rare. Too bad the rest of the league shit the bed on me as I had Daniel outscoring Iginla on my proline.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

One thing about Burrows is... playing alot of Ball hockey myself i have come to the realization that the best players in ball hockey have speed, hart and hands... Burrows is a National Ball hockey Champion, there is no way that this guy can't have decent hands.. which he has shown he has.. I have been waitng to see more offence in his game.. and i finally think after last year he has alot more confidence and AV has more confidence in his offensive game that he can probably put up just the same if not more goals this year than last. He is a very talented individual.. Not that i think he will figure in the top six any time soon. but i don't think people give Burr or Kes the respect for their offensive games that they deserve.
Great Heart and a well fought victory tonight, sure we probably got away with a couple calls but a couple we had were pretty weak this and last game.. as someone said before.. i also hope that they start letting a couple of these really lax penalties go..