Vermette for Salo rumour??

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Vermette for Salo rumour??

Post by Linden Is God »

According to this article.

http://blog.canoe.ca/offtheposts/2008/0 ... _vancouver

I wonder if this guy realizes that Salo has a NTC?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

its possible he might waive it to go back to Ottawa. you never know.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

dunno... our best point producing dman for a second line forward?... Maybe Bieksa but can't see Salo for Vermette.
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

hes never played a full season in his career. the older he gets the more injured he is. if all it cost was an older broken salo to get Vermette I Would do it in a heartbeat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/s ... ayerId=815
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

Couldn't agree with you more mattola, Salo is going to be 34 pretty soon and he's injury prone missing 15-20 games every year, with vermettte just turning 26 and coming off a 53 point 24 goal season with speed, versatiility playing all forward positions and is only gonna get better, i wouldn't hesitate on this one..
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

nuckknowitall1944 wrote:Couldn't agree with you more mattola, Salo is going to be 34 pretty soon and he's injury prone missing 15-20 games every year, with vermettte just turning 26 and coming off a 53 point 24 goal season with speed, versatiility playing all forward positions and is only gonna get better, i wouldn't hesitate on this one..
I agree with this as well. As much as I love Salo's boomer, I wouldn't be heartbroken if he were traded.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

If this goes through it'd be a great trade for us. Vermette has youth, speed, and some offensive upside. Salo's biggest knock is that he never seems to find the net with his shot as often as he should, otherwise he'd be potting 20 a year regularly (should he be injury-free, of course).
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

yeah undeniably a great move for the team in the long term, even if we get Sundin, I'd definitely do it.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Wouldn't do it for Bieksa but Salo would be fair.

In fact I'll be pissed if MG deals Bieksa......hopefully the "club" has learned something from the Peca deal. You *NEED* those guys.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

of all our Dmen, Salo is the most expendable. I would imagine that there would have to be external influences for him to waive his NTC to go anywhere though....

Still I would prefer Vermette on the second line as opposed to Wellwood
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I can't imagine why Salo would waive his NTC. Thats why he signed a NTC and took a home town discount, lest we forget
cheers
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

why is it not possible for his to say yes I could use this change and head back to ottawa. you never know fred. doesnt hurt to ask.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

mattola wrote:why is it not possible for his to say yes I could use this change and head back to ottawa. you never know fred. doesnt hurt to ask.
Would you be willing to move back to Ottawa after living in Vancouver? :lol:

Agree for the most part, unless of course the answer is "no." In that case it could cause a bit of friction.

I agree though if this were the deal, you'd have to be stupid not to do it. Perhaps skill and talent wise it's a reasonable fair trade but given Salo's age and injury trouble, it would be an incredibly stupid move on Ottawa's part. You have to take advantage of that stupidity! Yes it would create a hole on defence getting younger and faster is never a bad thing, as much as I value Salo.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I agree though if this were the deal, you'd have to be stupid not to do it. Perhaps skill and talent wise it's a reasonable fair trade but given Salo's age and injury trouble, it would be an incredibly stupid move on Ottawa's part. You have to take advantage of that stupidity! Yes it would create a hole on defence getting younger and faster is never a bad thing, as much as I value Salo.
I bet Sens fans were saying the same thing when we traded them PepperPot Pete
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ClamRussel wrote:Wouldn't do it for Bieksa but Salo would be fair.

In fact I'll be pissed if MG deals Bieksa......hopefully the "club" has learned something from the Peca deal. You *NEED* those guys.
I agree with Clam 100%. Here are a few question that I have however.

1) IF Vermette were traded here, does Vermette become the new 3rd line shut down center, or does Kesler remain there?

2) Can BOTH Kesler and Vermette play on the 3rd line? (i.e. Burrows-Kesler-Vermette).

3) Who do you think has more offensive potential? Kesler or Vermette?

4) Is Vermette just as good at being a shut down forward as Kesler?