Canucks season schedule

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Canucks season schedule

Post by hoopsjunky »

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page ... onSchedule

leaves here on Nov. 15th
Habs here on Feb. 15th
No visit from the Rangers

I think we play the leaves on Hockey Day in Canada on Feb. 21st.
Mooger35
CC Veteran

Post by Mooger35 »

That leaves game is at 4pm

You'd think it was Hockey Day in Canada... but no other Canadian teams play each other.

Avalanche Oilers 10:00 PM ET probably the CBC late game

Flyers v Canadiens

Senators v Islanders

Flames aren't playing.

Guess they wanted the Nucks/leaves early so Leaf fans could see Sundin face his old team. :D
Peter: Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

8 of 11 games in October start on the road. .. not good.
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

6-game road trip right out of the gates, after our opener against the Flames... maybe get an early idea of what to expect....

Looks like our three "wild card" teams from the East are the Sens, Habs, and leaves - we do a home-and-home with each....
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

Mooger35 wrote:That leaves game is at 4pm

You'd think it was Hockey Day in Canada... but no other Canadian teams play each other.

Flyers v Canadiens

Senators v Islanders

Flames aren't playing.

Guess they wanted the Nucks/leaves early so Leaf fans could see Sundin face his old team. :D
Feb. 21st:

Senators @ Habs at 12:00 PM
Canucks @ leaves at 4:00 PM
Flames @ Oilers at 7:00 PM

I'm liking that stretch in February when we play Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal in a span of five days. Can you say road trip? 8-)
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

My roommates and I will probably try and get tickets to the Nucks/leaves game on the 21st. I'm glad it's not near exams or anything. Now I just need to be able to afford them. :(
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

hoopsjunky wrote:
Mooger35 wrote:That leaves game is at 4pm

Flyers v Canadiens

Senators v Islanders

Flames aren't playing.

Feb. 21st:

Senators @ Habs at 12:00 PM
Canucks @ leaves at 4:00 PM
Flames @ Oilers at 7:00 PM

I'm liking that stretch in February when we play Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal in a span of five days. Can you say road trip? 8-)
dang it hoopsjunky... when are you gonna start blogging again?!? I know that's you...

There's some nasty stretches in there, especially where we spend nearly an entire month on the road from November to December, but there's really not much we can do about it. We can complain about our schedule vs. NYR all we want, but unless we make the rangers fly indirect routes just for kicks and giggles it isn't gonna change.

I do like the fact that every team in the NW finishes the season on the same day. If the race is tight, that's gonna make for a crazy Saturday night.

Weird to not see us playing the Flames around new years this go around...
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

only three nasty road trips (6 games, 7 games, 6 games). oddly, the first two of them start off with a home-and-home series with Calgary. they have the ability to really hurt us this year.

not too many back-to-backs or 3 in 4 nights situations.

I am loving the direction of this new schedule though. so tired on Minny * 8
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

puckhead wrote:only three nasty road trips (6 games, 7 games, 6 games). oddly, the first two of them start off with a home-and-home series with Calgary. they have the ability to really hurt us this year.

not too many back-to-backs or 3 in 4 nights situations.

I am loving the direction of this new schedule though. so tired on Minny * 8
Ya, "only" 3 long road trips.

But there is also a 3 game trip in mid-Feb which ends in Dallas, with one game at home with one days rest and 4 more on the road which takes the team all the way out to Montreal. That would be 8 games in 8 cities in 14 days.

Then again starting in mid-March they go on a 6 game road trip, come home for one and head back out again to Edm. Again, that's 8 games in 8 different cities in 15 days.

These types of trips killed the team last year and was the reason they sucked so bad the final month. They were out of gas. It is impossible to travel this much and be competitive. Aquilini and Gillis needs to make more noise around this. Perhaps bribing the schedule guy with the 10 mill a year for Sundin would be a better use of the money.

Expect more of the same this year and every year. The schedule always puts Vancouver teams at a disadvantage before the year even starts.

Personally, I don't care what teams are on the schedule. I want to see this team successful, if that means never playing a team east of Minnesota, I'm fine with it. The schedule needs to be more fair.

Why don't they go back to back to back games in the same city to cut down on travel?
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Canucks play the first ever back to back game on the same day of the same time. :) good luck boys.

Canucks Up First For Oilers
July 17Edmonton Sun
" The Edmonton Oilers will start making their travel plans today as the NHL is set to release the 2008-2009 regular-season schedule.It is expected the Oilers will open the season in Vancouver on Oct. 9.Yesterday the club released their pre-season schedule.Fans will get a first look at the team on Sept. 22, when the Oilers host the Vancouver Canucks at Rexall Place in the first game of a home-and-home series.The two teams face each other the following night in Vancouver. "

Canucks Open Here Against Flames
July 17Vancouver Sun
"The Vancouver Canucks will open their regular season at home on Thursday, Oct. 9 against the Calgary Flames. We 'll find out about the other 81 games today, when the NHL releases its 2008-09 schedule. This much we know -- the schedule will see the Canucks play each NHL team at least once. And the Canucks will have a home-and-home series with Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa."
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

mattola wrote:8 of 11 games in October start on the road. .. not good.
With a new team I think it is good team bonding time. If you can get 50% of the points it is time well spent IMO.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Oct.28. Boston.

Milan Lucic plays his first NHL game in his hometown. The local-boy-made-good slaps the Canucks around at will and scores the winner.

After the game, he sees a guy wearing his stolen Memorial Cup ring and beats the shit out of him, too.

A successful trip home for LOOOTTCHHH!!!!
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!