Going forward ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Molson Muscle
CC Veteran

Post by Molson Muscle »

Don't sell Vermette short. He's played behind Spezza and Fisher, is great on face offs and knows his way around his own end of the ice.
Rehab is for quitters
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

antro wrote:...maybe MG's bold plan is to compete with Toronto for Tavares?
I haven't seen Tavares play that much, as most of you probably haven't either. I think this guy is not all he's cracked up to be. He can score like a mutha (at the junior level), but he's not a particularly well-rounded player. His skating is sub-par and the rest of his game away from the opposition net has plenty of holes. Some of these will be correctable, but some are there to stay. He is not a Stamkos-type player who is a force on the move with the puck and has defenders scrambling to keep position on him. Tavares is a player who can finish up within the 20 foot range with great regularity in junior, but I'm not entirely sure this will automatically happen at the NHL level. For teams thinking about tanking next season to get their hands on him: Proceed with caution.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Jovorock wrote:I can't see Cowan back with us signing Hordichuk.
No, buy him out today. In any scenario, he's not going to be a factor with this team going forward, so no sense having him hanging around this season. If Hordichuk needs someone to ride shotgun, have Brown come in and help out.

Cowan = out.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

sic puppy wrote:
Jovorock wrote:I can't see Cowan back with us signing Hordichuk.
Very possible. This is a list of players currently under contract.
Seriously, Trevor would look better in that 4 spot. Cowan will be bought out or ride the pine once other players are brought in.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Sid Dithers wrote:
I haven't seen Tavares play that much, as most of you probably haven't either. I think this guy is not all he's cracked up to be. He can score like a mutha (at the junior level), but he's not a particularly well-rounded player. His skating is sub-par and the rest of his game away from the opposition net has plenty of holes. Some of these will be correctable, but some are there to stay. He is not a Stamkos-type player who is a force on the move with the puck and has defenders scrambling to keep position on him. Tavares is a player who can finish up within the 20 foot range with great regularity in junior, but I'm not entirely sure this will automatically happen at the NHL level. For teams thinking about tanking next season to get their hands on him: Proceed with caution.
He's not even a shoe-in for the 1st pick overall....Victor Hedman from Sweden is the top blueline prospect and could challenge Tavares by the time the season is over. Tavares is the sexier pick only because he's Canadian and we've been hearing abo him since he was 15. Look what happened to Daniel Cleary and Angelo Espositio by the time their names were called.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Going forward ?

Post by ClamRussel »

sic puppy wrote:With no particular pairings:

Sedin/Sedin/Pyatt (8.725)
Raymond/Wellwood/Pettinger (2.88)
Burrows/Kesler/Cowan (2.958)
Hordichuk/Johnson/XX (1.9)

Ohlund/Bxa (7.250)
Salo/Mitchell (7.0)
Edler/Krajicek (1.650)

Luongo/Sanford (7.4)

Total 39.763

Does not include two way players or Chouinard buy out.

G & D look solid
Worst second line in history?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Cowan can not be bought out. The buy out period was from June 15th to June 30th.

As Clam stated above as well, Tavares is not the consensus #1 anymore. That goes to Hedman, who seems to be a monster, standing at 6'7" at the age of 17. He's getting many comparisons to Lidstrom.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Linden Is God wrote:Cowan can not be bought out. The buy out period was from June 15th to June 30th.
Shit. There's a waste of 1/3 of that contract. :(
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

sic puppy wrote:
sic puppy wrote:With no particular pairings:

Sedin/Sedin/Pyatt (8.725)
Raymond/Wellwood/Pettinger (2.88)
Burrows/Kesler/Cowan (2.958)
Hordichuk/Johnson/XX (1.9)
update with signing of Bernier:

Sedin/Sedin/Bernier
Raymond/Wellwood/Pyatt
Burrows/Kesler/Pettinger
Hordichuk/Johnson/Cowan

The issue still is legitimate RW positions. With Pyatt & Pettinger playing their off wings.

Jaffray, Hansen & Brown (all RW currently with the Moose) could provide some competition this year

Slot in Sundin and it's not a bad line-up going into spring training.
Dont we have Shannon under contract as well?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I believe Shannon is still a UFA.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

ClamRussel wrote:
Sid Dithers wrote:
He's not even a shoe-in for the 1st pick overall....Victor Hedman from Sweden is the top blueline prospect and could challenge Tavares by the time the season is over. Tavares is the sexier pick only because he's Canadian and we've been hearing abo him since he was 15. Look what happened to Daniel Cleary and Angelo Espositio by the time their names were called.
He is also from Ornskoldsvik, Sweden. 6’5 and 220 pounds. Considered to be the Swedish Chris Pronger.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1 ... or_hedman/
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

sic puppy wrote: update with signing of Bernier:

Sedin/Sedin/Bernier
Raymond/Wellwood/Pyatt
Burrows/Kesler/Pettinger
Hordichuk/Johnson/Cowan

The issue still is legitimate RW positions. With Pyatt & Pettinger playing their off wings.

Jaffray, Hansen & Brown (all RW currently with the Moose) could provide some competition this year

Slot in Sundin and it's not a bad line-up going into spring training.
Update with Demitra signing:

Sedin/Sedin/Bernier
Pyatt/Wellwood/Demitra
Burrows/Kesler/Pettinger
Hordichuk/Johnson/Cowan

Now...IF....Sundin is signed, Gillis has any number of options.

Including (I dare say) trading the Sedins for a top 6 forward + . Which would also free up cap space.

The other options certainly involve prospects vying for a spot or 2.

In any event, many more options than we saw on July one.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I think it's a bit of a stretch to include Wellwood in the top 6 :shock:
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

dangler wrote:I think it's a bit of a stretch to include Wellwood in the top 6 :shock:
I agree, however, as I mentioned in the beginning, these are players who are currently signed.

I've also bumped Raymond in favour of Pyatt on the left with Demitra playing on RW.

With Sundin in the picture, it makes the signing of Wellwood a head scratcher, unless he can fill in on the wing someplace. But, those are the options that AV will have to play with.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

sic puppy wrote:
dangler wrote:
With Sundin in the picture, it makes the signing of Wellwood a head scratcher, unless he can fill in on the wing someplace.
I slightly disagree. Even if someone like Wellwood gets the "short end of the stick" due to too much depth, I still support Gillis' signing.

As we saw last season, a team can easily get decimated by injuries. If someone on the Canucks get hurt (and Wellworth is the odd man out), the Canucks can finally feel confident about the fact that someone can step in and NOT look out of place.

If and when Sundin signs here, this team isn't going to have any glaring weaknesses (atleast on paper). Although there are probably a few teams in the West that have more overall talent than the Canucks (even if we get Sundin), I think that the Canucks and the Wings are perhaps the ONLY two teams that don't have any 'red flags' (i.e. for example, teams like San Jose and Anaheim might have more talent than us, but they might still have a lot of question marks in terms of where their offensive production will come from).

If Gillis does sign Sundin, it will also mark a new personal record for me (i.e. in less than one week, I will have gone from wanting to throw Gillis off a bridge, to wanting to hug him repeatedly ). :shock: