Brunnstrom

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mr. Bure #10
AHL Prospect

Brunnstrom

Post by Mr. Bure #10 »

There has been alot of recent discussion that Brunnstrom has now narrowed his Canadian team choices down to Montreal. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/05/ ... ree_teams/

Is it me or should this guy just make his frickin decision? There has been enough hype on this guy and I was guilty of getting caught up in it. Maybe we can thank our ownership for this fiasco when he was 2 days from signing with VAN and then they fired Nonis.

He changes preferences by the week and acts like he is the second coming of Ovechkin. The guy isn't even a proven commodity so any team is taking a risk in paying him good money through incentives. Now don't get me wrong, he would be a worthy risk for the Canucks but my opinion of him his deteriorating daily.

Personally his best option purely from a hockey standpoint would be with Vancouver because we are desperate for Offensive production. He may find that with the Sedins but who knows if the Sedins will even be here through the offseason if Gillis decides to start trading big names.

It seems likely that he will pick the team that wins the cup this year.........looks like Pittsburgh.
Flames Hater
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I'm almost certain it's his agent telling him to wait forever to sign and let the hype build up around him. The longer this goes on the more teams will pay him, the absolute Rookie max is just under $3.5M (mostly in bonuses), yet apparently when he was about to sign in Vancouver it was only for $2M. If he can get another 500k out of a team by waiting another week why not?
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

thing that bothers me is why isn't he playing in the Worlds... only reason i can come to is that he doens't want to ruin his chance of having a bidding war with a poor performance in his first nhl esque competition.. i understand that he is probably "wanting to talk to teams and figure out his situation"... but if he is that good and all these teams want him why not play in the worlds.. but it does make alot of sense for him not to.. if he works out .. then next year..
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Broda wrote:thing that bothers me is why isn't he playing in the Worlds..
Maybe he isn't good enough to make the Swedish nation team?

Stick a FORK in this guy and forget him, he's another euro that we don't need. We need some tough Canadian boys with grit!
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Mike Gillis was one of the top agents in hockey and as such he had to be able to assess talent or as he says his family would go hungry. So if Mike is willing to let him walk instead of living up to the agreement Nonis supposedly offered then perhaps he is more hype than reality. Or he was never going to sign here anyway, after all, has anybody seen an agreement?
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

HappyCanuck wrote:Or he was never going to sign here anyway, after all, has anybody seen an agreement?
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Nonis say that if he hadn't been fired Brunnstrom would've been a Canuck? And I'm sure it's all hype, but at the same time if so many teams are interested in him there must be SOMETHING behind it. I wouldn't expect him to jump into te lineup and get 30 goals, but nor would I expect that of any first year player (barring a Crosby/Stamkos type). And as has been stated numerous times before, if he sucks send him to the AHL and pretend it never happened.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

I understand that the GM of the Swedish National Team, Mats Naslund, didn't think he was good enough to make the first cut... And he doesn't understand all the NA hype surrounding Brunnstrom.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

And he doesn't understand all the NA hype surrounding Brunnstrom.
well, anythinhg can happen when you let the BC media at it first.. molehills into mountains and all that...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Jovorock wrote:
Broda wrote:thing that bothers me is why isn't he playing in the Worlds..
Maybe he isn't good enough to make the Swedish nation team?

Stick a FORK in this guy and forget him, he's another euro that we don't need. We need some tough Canadian boys with grit!
And one more thing: If Nonis was prepared to guarantee him top-6 minutes, it's very clear that Gillis would make no such assurances. This smells of a complete hype-job.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
MinnesotaCanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by MinnesotaCanuck »

Even if the guy is 99% sure to be overhyped, most of his money is in incentives anyways. Wouldn't his base salary be something like $850k? Where can the Canucks hope to find a player with any remote offensive upside for less than $1M?