Knocking flames out our best chance?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

newostar
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Knocking flames out our best chance?

Post by newostar »

I know the Preds are only 1 point ahead of us, but let's be honest here....

They are playing St. Louis and Chicago....

Let's look at Calgary, we need them to lose their game against Minny -in Minny- which is entirely possible and the Canucks beat the Spoilers, which again is likely.

This leaves us with the intriguing Saturday night matchup between the Flames and Nucks for a playoff spot.

I think that is our best shot. Minnesota beats Calgary......Vancouver beats Edmonton...let it all hang out on Saturday.

Preds win both their games IMO.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

who won the season series between us and the flaes?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
hoopsjunky
CC Rookie

Post by hoopsjunky »

I was thinking that... and then I saw that the Flames have won 6 of their 7 games against Minnesota this season. We're 5-2 against the Flames.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Who cares who we have to knock out. Just win damn it.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
georoa
CC Rookie

Post by georoa »

I guess we'll know in a couple of days when it all washes out. I don't think it really matters as even if we do make it to the playoffs it will be an early exit.
WpgJets
CC Veteran

Post by WpgJets »

Wrongo, K1F. In the case of this tie, Vancouver would advance.
Tie Breaking Procedure
If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:
1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won.
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.
from NHL.com
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I guess tonight will be a key gameday.

Most important, St. Louis have to win against Nashville, doesn't matter if it's in OT/SO then Chicago is smelling blood for sure because they are playing their next one against Nashville and have the chance to catch them.

At least just a point for Nashville today would be also in our favour, we just have to win against Edmonton first, doesn't matter how.

A regular loss of Calgary tonight would give us then another option / chance but the record between them isn't so promising.

And i'm not going to bet anything...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cookie La Rue wrote:I guess tonight will be a key gameday.

Most important, St. Louis have to win against Nashville, doesn't matter if it's in OT/SO then Chicago is smelling blood for sure because they are playing their next one against Nashville and have the chance to catch them.

At least just a point for Nashville today would be also in our favour, we just have to win against Edmonton first, doesn't matter how.

A regular loss of Calgary tonight would give us then another option / chance but the record between them isn't so promising.

Calgary will most likely defeat the Wild IMO. The Wild will probably be resting up for the playoffs (I might be wrong on this...I haven't checked the standings.....can Colorado/Calgary still catch the Wild for the #3 spot?). IF #3 hasn't been locked by the Wild, then disregard what I said.

The Blackhawks are now an ally of the Canucks as far as I'm concerned. If BOTH Canucks and Hawks win tonight (while Nashville loses), then the Hawks will be mega-pumped for their last game against the Preds.

If Calgary defeat the Wild tonight (and qualify for the playoffs), then we MIGHT benefit in playing a watered down (and resting) version of the Flames in the last game.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Cookie La Rue wrote:I guess tonight will be a key gameday.

Calgary will most likely defeat the Wild IMO. The Wild will probably be resting up for the playoffs (I might be wrong on this...I haven't checked the standings.....can Colorado/Calgary still catch the Wild for the #3 spot?). IF #3 hasn't been locked by the Wild, then disregard what I said.

The Blackhawks are now an ally of the Canucks as far as I'm concerned. If BOTH Canucks and Hawks win tonight (while Nashville loses), then the Hawks will be mega-pumped for their last game against the Preds.

If Calgary defeat the Wild tonight (and qualify for the playoffs), then we MIGHT benefit in playing a watered down (and resting) version of the Flames in the last game.
WOW. I stand corrected! The Wild still haven't locked #3. Colorado and Calgary can BOTH catch them. Long story short - the Wild will come out HARD against the Flames tonight.

Canucks NEED to take advantage of a (dejected?) Oilers team. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing that the Oil will be more dejected than angry/motivated (hopefully, I'm right).

And once again - Chicago is a very key ally for us. THEY need to win tonight so they keep on par with Nashville. Even if they lose - I still get the feeling that Chicago will do ALL in its power to knock off RIVAL Nashville for a playoff spot (although by that logic, the Oil might have that attitude towards us tonight).
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hey Farhan, good schizophrenic thoughts. I like it. :mrgreen:

Schizophrenic ?! Thanks Cornuck, enlights me...

But the most important wins are of course of the Canucks......

Here's the explanation: Link to Wikipedia

And i have to say it fits to nearly every Canucks fan.......(right now at least)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Hey Farhan, good schizophrenic thoughts. I like it. :mrgreen:
LMAO. :lol:

My obsession with the Canucks is making me lose my marbles (especially when you consider how 'up' and 'down' the Canucks have been this season :D).

Perhaps in my case, it's a "win-win" situation regardless of whether the Canucks make the playoffs or not (for the sake of my sanity).

-If they make it - I'm happy!
-If not; I can think about other things. (or atleast try to ;)).
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Me too. it's just like women . schizophrenic... :mrgreen:
georoa
CC Rookie

Post by georoa »

I think the Wild have a greater motive to win then most would think. The Flames have beaten them handily this season, if I was from the Wild organization or a fan I would rather see the Wild play the Canucks in the Playoffs then the Flames if they match up. The Wild sem to have our number for sure.