GDT: Flames @ GM, yeah it's a home game.

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

LIVE FROM THE PRESS BOX: CALGARY PHLEGM

Post by B. Mackin »

Canucks 6 Flames 2
Bob Mackin

The Buzz:
Trevor Linden scored twice as the Vancouver Canucks ended a four-game slump with a 6-2 win over the Calgary Flames March 30 at GM Place.

Good omen?
Roberto Luongo allowed the visitor’s first shot for the second time this month, but the Canucks recovered for a 6-2 blowout win. Flame David Moss opened scoring March 31. Nashville Predator Vernon Fiddler beat Luongo on the Preds’ first shot March 6, but Vancouver recovered to win 6-2.

Turning Point:
Matthew Lombardi took advantage of a limping Ryan Kesler to give Calgary a lead with 68 seconds left in the first period. Then Markus Naslund netted a “Paul Hardcastle Specialâ€￾ for a first intermission tie. Number 19’s marker came at 19:19. (One-hit wonder “19â€￾ made manager Simon "Spice Girls" Fuller rich.)

Goodnniight, Miikka:
Miikka Kiprusoff, the Flames’ goaltender with the double vowels and consonants, was replaced by Curtis Joseph after Linden scored consecutive second period goals to double Vancouver’s lead.

Save of the game:
Alexander Edler prevented a rushing Jarome Iginla from stuffing the puck on a second period power play.

Out like a lion:
The Canucks won six regulation games, one in overtime and lost eight in March.

Special guests:
Two-time Olympic hockey gold medalist Cassie Campbell, ex-Canucks’ superboss and 2002 Olympic gold medal coach Pat Quinn, and Vancouver 2010 mascots Miga, Quatchi and Sumi attended the game.

Next Up:
The Canucks cannot be fooling when they host the Colorado Avalanche April 1 (7 p.m. Team 1040/Sportsnet HD). The Flames return for the season finale on Saturday.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I have to say the team showed guts tonight. After surrendering the first goal and then giving the lead to the Flamers again in the first period, I was half-expecting them to fold like a Mastercraft tent.

Seeing Naslund bust his ass to poke in that loose puck said it all for me. This guy has been a tin man lately but seeing that effort in the offensive zone showed me he cared tonight. Everything else flowed from there.

Linden, Linden, Linden, what caan we say about Trevvy? His first goal was a veteran's goal and the second was Johnny on the spot. If there was anyone with a surplus of guts and heart on the ice tonight, it was him and it makes me wonder why Vigneault scratched him so often this season. His legs may be mud, but he knows when to hit the jackpot. Too bad he didn't net the 3rd.

Matt Pettinger makes me forget about Matt Cooke every time he skates, and his goal was a beaut. Nice feed though from Shannon. Whatever happens this season, I'm pumped to see what he can do with Raymond next season.

Bieksa was solid, but I think the points flattered him. That said, he didn't cost his team like recently and I hope it's the start of a trend. Weaver didn't hurt us either and made the smart play to throw the puck at the net for Trevvy's 2nd. Bourdon, well, he showed us he can skate and he can shoot. He'll be interesting to see next year. Nice goaltending by Edler, and he's rounding back into form.

The line on Iginla has traditionally been to not provoke the fella or else he'll get fired up and start scoring batches of points. It doesn't matter. Burr got under his skin and Iggy spent too much time yapping and shoving like a Turkish bathhouse b*tch. Same with Fifi Faneuf. Say what you will about the officiating, but Calgary gave them all the ammo they needed. All you need to do with Calgary is hit them back and they get pissy like divas on tranny karaoke night.

Cowan still makes me cringe and can someone tell me what else Ritchie brings to the table outside of moxy and a willingness to get into dirty areas? His problem is that despite all his effort (minus his assist on Linden's 1st) nothing ever comes of it.

Time to tighten'er up even more against Colorado and keep your legs goin. GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!! :D :D :D
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

you guys do all realize that we are undefeated when Micro-Weave gets a point, right?

He's our meal ticket the rest of the way, baby!