GDT: Canucks visit the Flamers - PPV, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Of course I'm talking to a Flames fan listening to this game.

Seriously, Bieksa has been even worse than he was before he was injured. This has been his worst game in a Canuck uniform by far. He better score a pair of goals and lead us to victory...
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

most frusterating game to watch all season. HOW DO YOU BLOW A 2 GOAL LEAD AGAINST DIVISION RIVALS AT THIS TIME OF THE SEASON?!?! Two lucky goals and we sit back like we've done something? bah I say to this game.
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

The Buzz: The Canucks let another game slip through their fingers, giving up a two-goal lead, thanks to undisciplined penalties and a lack of passion in their play and Calgary takes over the Northwest Division lead as a result.

Turning Point: Alex Burrows delay of game penalty for intentionally knocking the net off its moorings put Calgary on an extended 5-on-3 power play, which they capitalized on to tie the game and scored the game-winner three seconds after Burrows penalty expired.

Lamplighter: Dion Phaneuf’s thunderous slap shot, breaking down the left wing with 8:33 left in the third period capped the comeback for Calgary.

Brouhaha: Only five seconds into the game, unlikely scrapper Taylor Pyatt dropped the gloves with Jim Vandermeer and fought admirably, taking a draw in the fight. The early fight wasn’t a big surprise considering Calgary and Vancouver are number two and three, respectively, in fighting majors in the NHL this season.

Unsung Hero: Defenseman Willie Mitchell has been an absolute workhorse for the Canucks recently, playing with a full facemask after taking a puck in the mouth last week and dressing against Calgary despite having the flu.

Stats Stupid: The Sedins have combined for 17 points in six games against Calgary this year, while Jerome Iginla has only two goals in his last 12 games versus Vancouver.

X-file: Alex Burrows played in his 200th NHL game.
24 hours sports reporter
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig frig.

what is the deal? why does this team absolutely have to do things the hardest way possible? What the FLIP! These are the games that make me wonder why I put myself through this...

I LOVE this team, but hate these guys right now.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Pound the canucks hard (hitting, not fighting) and they will fold like a cheap tent. Works now for Calgary, works for San Jose, and certainly works for Anaheim.

I don't know if the Canucks remember this, but THEY were the one with the lead. THEY are supposed to be doing the pounding so Calgary packs it in when they are down by two (not the other way around).

Bieksa was horrible again, although the whole team was horrible for the last two periods.

And WHAT was Shannon thinking when he had the chance to stop the icing call ? "Oh, I will just let this Calgary defender walk by me because, well, I have a 4 step lead on him and I wouldn't want to be considered rude".

On the other hand, the outcome would have been different if the 'nucks could have buried one of those chances early in the 3rd, AND if they weren't so boneheaded about taking stupid penalties. Burrow's penalty wasn't that bad and it was a marginal call (he was pushed, and at least it was in the defensive zone). I have no clue what Bieksa was thinking when he vacated his zone and went back to the bench (on Phaneufs goal) after he broke his stick, but maybe someone else coughed up the puck and he thought it would be dumped out.

Louie for the most part stood on his head in the 2nd and 3rd. Phaneuf's goal was perhaps soft and I imagine he wants that back, but it could have easily been 6-2.

This was a bad loss, no doubt about it, and we have to play Calgary twice more. (I have an idea, hit back !).
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Yeah it seems Calgary,San Jose,Minnesota and alot of the other teams have figured out how to shut down the Canucks, get physical.

I thought the turning point was Calgarys PP goal at the start of the 2nd,but with the endless stream of Canuck penalties it was just a matter of time.

I thought Pyatt was probably the best Canuck tonight,when he gets aggresive like he did tonight he is awesome on offense. Bieksa had some bad decisions and even badder luck.

Anyone who thinks Luongo let a soft one in on the Phaneuf goal better take a look at the puck-speed in real time,that was a freakin bullet.

I assume the Canucks will get in to the playoffs and I also assume they will be easily punted in the 1st round.

Nonis has his work cut out for him this summer.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

dangler wrote: Anyone who thinks Luongo let a soft one in on the Phaneuf goal better take a look at the puck-speed in real time,that was a freakin bullet.
Agreed, that thing was launched off his stick and behind Lou before you could hear the shot. Watching it in slo-mo and it looked real time while everything around it slowed down
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

The margin for error or not getting points out of the remaining games becomes tighter...

With Nashville suddenly winning again, the game tonight in Denver is for sure trend-setting.

After 2 losses they have to win this, pretty simple. All in all they need about 4 wins in 6 games, that's not easy if you have to...

Go Canucks Go
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I said it on another post ... Vancouver better figure this "stupid penalties" thing out really quickly ... the closer they get to the playoffs the less forgiving it will be ...

Special teams are usually determining factors and things that make the difference in winning games/series in the playoffs or not ... no excuses for undiscipline at this point of the season and no room for blatent mental errors ...

Grizz
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Hopefully Miller gets back on D fast... and they can sit Bieksa . He hasn't had a good game all year and last nights highlighted his defensive weakness. Team toughness has been an issue all year and Keenans teams are always playing a physical game.... this aint figure skating its hockey. Canucks thoroughly out hit and outplayed . When the going gets tough.... the Canucks turn turtle .. Not the way I want to see the season end.. Pyatt did his job.. Luongo did his ... dammm where were the rest of the team for 2 periods :(
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(