Canucks vs. Wild - March 21, 2008

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Canucks vs. Wild - March 21, 2008

Post by Daniel Wilson »

My how quikcly things can change. A week ago the Canucks looked to be slipping out of the playoffs, battling with Nashville for the eighth and final playoff spot. Now they're battling for the division lead and are looking good, on a three game winning streak.
24 hours sports reporter
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

So far, a classic Northwest Division battle. Lots of neutral zone play, hard forechecking, few shots and a reliance on taking turnovers and making something of them.

The double shifting of Gaborik through numerous lines is an interesting strategy. The Canucks have so much checking depth though - with their new lines - that Gaborik will have trouble finding a lot of open spots. Every offensive line has a strong defensive prescence.
24 hours sports reporter
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

The Canucks are getting into penatly trouble again, albeit the calls have been questionable. Not a surprise to see Naslund go to the box AGAIN... at least this time it was a penalty taken in the defensive zone, unlike his usual gaffs in the offensive or neutral zones.

Then fellow Swede Edler takes an obstruction penalty as well. An interesting study would be to see how many penalties are taken in a game by European players versus how many are taken in the same game by Norh American players. I wonder if the final tally would be close or lopsided one way or the other.
24 hours sports reporter
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

It's unfortunate to see the Wild goal go off Mitchell and in, as he's played so great the last little while, especially given he's stuck in that infernal faceshield.

Let's see if the Canucks can rally and take back the game, as they almost did on their last rush, full of sloppy passes that almost worked out.

Canucks on the PK again. They need to turn this around as given last night and tonight, they've only had two power plays in that time and have been shorthanded close to 10 times.
24 hours sports reporter
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Looks like the refs have decided that Minnesota should win this game. The Wild are flopping around like crazy, yet pathetic penalties like the Naslund call go against us.

It's been a long time since I've been this upset at the zebras.

1-0 Wild.
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

I would have liked to have seen a couple more shots on that last power play. Finally we do get a shot and it's Naslund from a horrible angle. I will give him credit that it was a good shot that almost handcuffed Backstrom, but in general, it's a low percentage shot.

There were more shots on this recent 5-on-5 shift with the fourth line out there. It shouldn't be this way...
24 hours sports reporter
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

Should make for an interesting third period, starting with a little 4-on-4 and then a short power play for the 'Nucks.

Perhaps they should try the fourth line for the PP and just see what happens. Eh, maybe not.

Does anyone out there think think the Wild vs. Canucks would make an good playoff series, or would it be boring?
24 hours sports reporter
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Man Aaron Miller is a great interview. I'm amazed we don't hear him on the radio/TV more often. He manages to conduct an intelligible interview completely devoid of cliches. Carter was the same, just a joy to listen to. It's so rare to hear something unique (that isn't an attempt at grabbing the limelight) these days. What a welcome relief. Just thought I'd give some credit where credit is due.

GO CANUCKS GO
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

Well, I ask for more shots on the power play and we get one from Salo a mere 11 seconds into the man advantage. Now if only they can keep this up and be consistent on this factor for future attempts.

It's nice to see a bounce go Vancouver's way, after most have gone against them tonight. The luck they had earlier this week has abondoned them it seems.

The game could be quite different without the bounce of Mitchell and into his own net and a couple of the Canucks misses because of unlucky bounces.
24 hours sports reporter
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

What an awful call on McIver for interference. It was nowhere near interference and was just like any other finishing of a check. Good to see the Canucks kill this one off and now it's time to get that second goal. My prediction is if it happens, it'll be Ryan Shannon potting the goal...
24 hours sports reporter
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

The Buzz: The Canucks gave up a chance to move into first in the Northwest Division for the first time in two months. This match-up could also prove to be a possible first round playoff series, with one team holding the third seed and the other team picking up the sixth spot.

Combo B: After two scoreless periods for the Canucks, the Sedins found themselves paired up again – with Taylor Pyatt – as the Canucks were willing to try anything to break Niklas Backstrom’s goose egg and get back into the contest.

Turning Point: After taking a series of penalties to end the first period and start the second, the Canucks luck finally came to an end with the Wild’s first goal of the game.

Goat for the Game: After playing a span of really good hockey, even with his head stuck in a full facemask, defenseman Willie Mitchell had the Wilds first goal deflect into the net off of his hip.

Crunch Time: Tough guy Derek Boogaard’s hit on Mike Weaver in the first period was hard enough to knock Weaver’s helmet flying and to cause Weaver to inspect it on the bench, looking for breaks.
24 hours sports reporter
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Great hockey game. I'm feeling a lot better about our chances in the playoffs with efforts like the last couple. Tonight was hardest I've seen them play all year. Bummer about about the score though..
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I don't mind losing games like that. We weren't outplayed and we certainly weren't outworked. Things just didn't go our way. If we can continue to play like that we're bound to make the playoffs for sure, and right now, that's all I care about.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Who ever coaches the PP needs a kick in the ass. Early third with the Wild up 1-0 thye sent the Twins and Shannon on the PP. They were playing a total perimeter man advantage with no one in front of the net. They didn't score and the Wild went down and scored to make it 2-0.

The next PP Salo gets a goal with Pyatt in front of the net, is Pyatt the only person they could put in front of the net? Put McIver, Cowan hell even Rypien has the balls to stand in the dirty areas.

Why throw out the Sedins with Shannon? how the hell are you going to get a goal from the point with no on in front?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

levelheaded wrote:I don't mind losing games like that. We weren't outplayed and we certainly weren't outworked. Things just didn't go our way. If we can continue to play like that we're bound to make the playoffs for sure, and right now, that's all I care about.
In one sense though those are the games I hate to lose ... we DID out work them and we DID out play them ... they scored a pp goal off of Mitchell's rear end and then decided to skate up the ice once more and its another goal ... bad puck luck I agree but.those are the type of games you just have to find a way to win in the playoffs ...

Overall I also like the effort the Nucks have put in the last few games however I would suggest that they are a little more careful with the dumb penalties. They had a few against Minny and even in the Edmonton game they took a few but were lucky the Oil didn't capitalize. Playoffs aren't as forgiving either IMO so it will be something that will need to be addressed sooner than later.

Grizz