GDT: 03/17/08 Canucks vs Coyotes in YVR, 7pm, PPV - MUST WIN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

GDT: 03/17/08 Canucks vs Coyotes in YVR, 7pm, PPV - MUST WIN

Post by antro »

How many ways can we say "must win"? This is a funny week since Phx, Edm, Vcr all play each other, and are competing for the final playoff spot. Just in case you didn't notice, both Phoenix and Edmonton are clear and present danger, only 5 points behind. To add to the danger, both are sporting hot goalies. Bryzgalov shut the boyz out only 4 days ago, and is 7-4-0 with a 1.82 GAA w/ 2 shutouts prior to their loss to Edm on Saturday. Roloson comes off a 48 save performance last night over the Sharks, ending their 11 game winning streak, and a 38-save performance over Phx on Saturday (celebrated in the previous GDT--but maybe we were too quick to celebrate!). Edmonton seems to be relishing their spoiler role too much, and is making a run for it. So the Nucks

So Vancouver is going to be facing two desperate teams this week, with hot goalies, who are gunning for our playoff spot. And, as Mattola has pointed out in no uncertain terms, the Nucks are frustratingly inconsistent. Just look at the previous GDT. Although it was a win against a top opponent at an important time, the Nucks were hot and cold, and you can see a lot of glass half empty or half full kind of posts.

Let's go with the glass was half full: the "new" line of Pettinger-Naslund-BMo played well, Luongo was solid, there were some great chances at the other end, and a lot of players were playing like they cared. And it's St Pattie's in Vcr, and isn't BMo Irish, and maybe Ryan Kesler and Shannon as well?--so fill your beer mugs with optimism, and look for a 3-1 win with those guys scoring to the one got by the Irish Doan.

(And if Shannon doesn't play, then it'll be one of the other temporary Irish players, like a Sedin, or a Salo, or whoever).
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

until we are locked in the playoffs EVERY game is must win.

GO CANUCKS GO!
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

It's very simple. After tonight Edmonton, Phoenix, Nashville and Vancouver will all have played 73 games. An outright Canucks win would give them a 4 point bulge on the Predators and 7 pt up on the other 2. If Minnesota knocks off Colorado in regulation, the Canucks could polevault to 7th in the division with a win. Considering the very embarrassing effort they put in against Phoenix on Thursday by giving up 45 shots against, there is no excuse for not coming out and playing at the top of their game. Winning tonight means if they take 10 points from their final 9 games, Nashville would have to go 8-1 down the stretch to take a playoff spot from the Canucks. Play to win tonight, AV and co.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I guess you could call this the last of the non-playoff games. After this we play only the NW for the rest of the year, Phoenix is still a threat, but if you go by James Mirtle's formula they're essentially out at this point. I'm sure they'd love to play spoiler though. We NEED to win tonight to keep pace if we want any shot at the division.

I say the boys pull it off 3-1 win. Pettinger, Daniel and Salo with the goals. Vrbrata will score in the 3rd to spoil the game for Luongo.

GO CANUCKS GO
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Maybe not a must win for playoff points but a must win for self respect.. No way do the Canucks lay back again and take a beating in their own building. I expect the " new " line of Naz, Bmo and Pettinger to score plus the Kessler line.. Maybe its time for the Sedins? So... predicting a 3 to 1 Canucks victory.. Bieksa making another sloppy play or defensive error letting Doan score..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Must win if they want to start a run to get into the playoffs on a high, and it is also a must for the Sedins to get going.

I call for Daniel to get one by bouncing it off of Pyatt's right kneepad. Henrik will get one in a Coyote clearing attempt that bounces off of him and into the net. 2-1 'nucks over 'yotes.

My other predictions is that the two garbage goals the Sedin's score will break them out of their funk. And there will be three fights. I also predict that all my predictions will be wrong. I also predict that I will get at least one prediction correct. (Try to work that one out).
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?servic ... e&id=18196

Linden and Rypien stay in, McIver draws in and Bourdon sits--otherwise it's Saturday's line up...apparently Linden sparked the team with some well-chosen words. Let's hope the effect lasts, and Rypien and McIver take care of Carcillo.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Does anyone know where this game is on the web?

I will never PPV.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

DAMN! I was so looking forward to this.. I had no idea they would do ppshitview so soon agian.

Phack!!!!!
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

As if we needed any evidence of how Daniel Carcillo will be a thorn in the Canucks side, a mere 40 seconds in he draws the double-minor high sticking penalty to Kevin Bieksa.

The first chance that Carcillo lines up against the fourth line or Nathan McIver, we're bound to see some fireworks.

Good to see the Canucks get on the board first. Perhaps Hank Sedin is on the path to bumping the slump.
24 hours sports reporter
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Goal and a fight!!! :D

Too bad its 2:30am in London :cry:

Time for sleep. Hope things go well from here.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

BingoTough wrote: Hope things go well from here.
So far.. 2-0!!
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Robert wrote:
BingoTough wrote: Hope things go well from here.
So far.. 2-0!!
Nice fight by Rypien. And great to see a goal from Pyatt.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

The Canucks should probably be up 3-0, not 2-1. Hopefully they can keep it up.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Daniel Wilson
CC Veteran

Post by Daniel Wilson »

Pyatt and Hank Sedin score, Rypien tears into Carcillo and the Canucks leave the first period with the lead.

So why am I so worried?

We all know that the Canucks with a 2-0 lead is quite dangerous... for them. I didn't see their level of play drop after the 2-0 goal, especially on the final shift of the period for Burrows, Kesler and D. Sedin, but Carcillo once again plays thorn and after dancing through the defense, scores.

I have a feeling we haven't heard the last from Carcillo, who's an assist away from a Gordie Howe hat trick...
24 hours sports reporter