GDT: Canucks vs. The Queens

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Great to see we were able to pick up the two points. They played a pretty good game. Bieksa rebounded half-decent after his mistake.

Now can our team captain please stand up?
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

randymeeks wrote:Now can our team captain please stand up?
And take a bow? He was fantastic tonight. That's the most jump he's had in a very long time.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

wow... huge man-crush on Kesler and Burrows right now. Does Bieksa redeem himself for being on the ice for both goals?
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Does Bieksa redeem himself for being on the ice for both goals?
I think he did.
randymeeks wrote:
Now can our team captain please stand up?

And take a bow? He was fantastic tonight. That's the most jump he's had in a very long time.
Our team captain and first line looked pretty good tonight but they have to bulge the twine if we are going to make the playoffs. They didn't do that tonight although the performance tonight would leave you to believe that may be right around the corner if they keep it up.

Let's pray Salo isn't hurt now.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

levelheaded wrote:
Naslund, who has been terrible lately, played great tonight. No points, but if he continues likes that points will come.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Shit, what a difference again to just listen to a game instead of watching them regulary. Some kind of i got used to it. ;)

I just hoped they don't spoil my "record" being at GM 3 times and watching just wins and a day after returning home losing again a game they should have won.....but they have won. :mrgreen:

Go Canucks Go

Imo the season will be decided in the last 9 games anyways, so they have to grab as many points they can before....
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
sk8er
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

I also thought Naslund had a great game, he was actually taking his wrist shot at every opportunity.
God the Kinks look terrible, , but wouldn 't you know it, one stupid breakdown and its in our net............ :evil:
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

gotta say i loved clouts performance.. He is still one of my favorite goalies, since the new colors i don't think i like lui as much but thats cause im weird like that. Anyways it was very nice to see the boys pull it out in the end. Big two points tonite, well done keep it going against Burkie's ducks, hopefully we can go in there and take advantage of a wounded duck? They are a bit beat up are they not?
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

randymeeks wrote:Did Bieksa just cost us a playoff spot by making a terrible decision to leave Patrick O' Sullivan all by himself?

No excuses for that blown coverage. We need our top line to come up big.
...And right on cue...
Cornuck wrote:Burrows! Kesler! Just in time!!
:)

And again in OT...
dr.dork wrote:
levelheaded wrote:
Naslund, who has been terrible lately, played great tonight. No points, but if he continues likes that points will come.
I dunno... That was the most passive display of 5-on-5 hockey I've seen all season; it isn't hard to look like you're flying when the opposition isn't skating, forechecking, or doing anything resembling hockey for most of the game. He looked great, but then the Nucks as a whole should have put this away by the midpoint of the second period - the same problems seem to be evident - lots of rebounds but no finish around the net, too much of the play on the periphery, and no one driving to the net effectively (until Kesler did it for the tying goal and the winning goal). It seemed like the Kings were content to let Vancouver pass it around on the perimeter and just keep blocking passes and shots all night long.

Two points is two points; at least we didn't lose ground on the rest of the NW.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

nice to see clouts play so well. nice to see us get the win finally. I guess I have to change my sig :)

however any team with some real finish would have buried 6 of those 35 rebounds. :)
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Best result...2 points. By all accounts listening to the post game on sportsnet, it was a good to great game. If the Nux loose ? Same comments ?

What can you say about Kes & Burrows ? The winning goal was a great effort by Kesler to get in position to tip the goal. He was boxed out by Blake but was able to get to the inside of him just as the puck arrived. As much skill as determination.

Wouldn't have been too upset to see Cloutier get the shut out. Had a nice ring to it. Not sure if Hughson or Garret made the comment about how Cloutier's team mates really like him...says something about the person.

In the Sun:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... f0337f2c6e

Tells some of the story of his battles that most "fans" don't know about what goes on behind the scenes.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

I didn't want to say it first.. but yeah i was hopign that he would get the shut out.. until i saw the standings agian.. then i was about ready to hope for the two points more. I hope he continues to get better more consistent and healthier
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:

I dunno... That was the most passive display of 5-on-5 hockey I've seen all season; it isn't hard to look like you're flying when the opposition isn't skating, forechecking, or doing anything resembling hockey for most of the game. He looked great, but then the Nucks as a whole should have put this away by the midpoint of the second period - the same problems seem to be evident - lots of rebounds but no finish around the net, too much of the play on the periphery, and no one driving to the net effectively (until Kesler did it for the tying goal and the winning goal). It seemed like the Kings were content to let Vancouver pass it around on the perimeter and just keep blocking passes and shots all night long.

Two points is two points; at least we didn't lose ground on the rest of the NW.
I think to be honest, it may have been the first time I've EVER seen four players at once literally standing still with theirs sticks on the ice.

The Canucks had better not believe the fish juice that they were "good to great" or they'll get creamed tonight in anaheim.

However I think we can just chaulk this one up to the opposition, they'll have more jump tonight against burkies bunch. ;)