GDT: Predators @ Canucks, 7PM PST, SPNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

LIVE FROM THE PRESS BOX: CONFIDENCE MAN

Post by B. Mackin »

The late, great Jeff Healey's "Confidence Man" was the music accompanying the first period highlights on the Daktronics board. The 41-year-old died last weekend after a battle with cancer.
The greatest guitarist in Canadian rock history. Period.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

One question....

Who are these guys, and what have they done with the Canucks?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

LIVE FROM THE PRESS BOX: MASONIC HALL

Post by B. Mackin »

Chris Mason saved Mason Raymond's late first period breakaway but couldn't handle the Canuck's unassisted shot to make it 5-2.

Fans are chanting "Ma-son... Ma-son... Ma-son..." which is confusing both Masons.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hey Cookie - you give them a pre-game talk?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Why couldn't they have cashed in one of these goal against the Avs?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
WpgJets
CC Veteran

Post by WpgJets »

Not that there's much reason to complain with the game tonight, but I notice Rypien has under 6 minutes of play and 2 penalties.

Edler has 24 minutes of ice time with 6 minutes to go in the game.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

oh boy...

What is with losing defensement en masse? Frick!

Didn't see the Miller hit, but sounded on the radio like he's gonna be in trouble, Ohlund is already out, and Bieksa gets a 1 game suspension automatically for being the instigator.

So this means Saturday we get:

Edler Salo
Mitchell Bourdon
Weaver McIver/Fitzgerald ?!?

eep.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I don't care how small Raymond is, he belongs in the top six right now. Good win, and good on Bourdon for getting in Tootoo's face after the hit on Miller. Whatever happens this year, next year looks pretty good with the development of Raymond, Edler, Bourdon and even Shannon. I so wanted to see the fight between Bieksa and DeVries, the way it sounded on the radio it seemed like a good tilt while it lasted. Yeah he gets the instigator but I think Campbell will see the context of it and will throw out the suspension.

I don't know what happened between Colorado and tonight, but I hope it's for good! Keep'er goin boys, and hopefully the twins can start popping them in the net instead of collecting assists.
WpgJets
CC Veteran

Post by WpgJets »

Guess Naslund was in the doghouse after the first period. Third fewest minutes for a forward, after Rypien (7:50), Isbister (8:40) - he had 12:33. Next lowest was Raymond with 13:44.

Edler finishes with 26:35 (and, uncharacteristically, -1).

Glad for the win.
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

LIVE FROM THE PRESS BOX: MARIACHI POWER STRIKES AGAIN!

Post by B. Mackin »

Canucks 6 Predators 2
Bob Mackin
vancouver.24hrs.ca

The Buzz:
The Vancouver Canucks exploded with four first period goals Thursday and coasted to a 6-2 win over the visiting Nashville Predators.

Alex Buries:
Alexandre Burrows’ team-leading third shorthanded goal of the season was the first shot against Dan Ellis. Predator Vernon Fiddler beat Roberto Luongo on Nashville’s first shot, just 15 seconds after Alexander Edler converted a slapshot for Vancouver.

Deja Lu?
David Legwand beat Luongo on the first Predators’ shot during Nashville’s previous visit to GM Place on Nov. 1, which ended in a 3-0 Nashville win.

Welcome Matt:
Matt Pettinger’s first Canuck goal not only drove Ellis to the bench in favour of Chris Mason, but was the eventual winner.

Revenge:
Kevin Bieksa had a goal and Sami Salo three assists. Bieksa (calf) and Salo (nose) needed surgery after leaving that Nov. 1 game with serious injuries. Daniel Sedin added a trio of helpers.

Booboo:
Canuck Aaron Miller suffered a serious arm or shoulder injury on a needless Jordin Tootoo hit late in the game, which eventually spurred a line brawl.

Mariachi Power:
Mexico Tourism’s roving mariachi band entertained fans, just like Dec. 18, 2007, the last time the Canucks scored five or more goals against an American visitor (5-0 vs. New Jersey).

Oh-oh-land:
Defenseman Mattias Ohlund is out four-to-six days with bone chips in his left knee. Season-ending surgery could be an option. Luc Bourdon was called up from the Manitoba Moose to fill his spot.

Next up:
The Canucks host the St. Louis Blues Saturday (7 p.m. Team 1040/CBC HD).
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

I dont mind the hit on Miller I dont like the cross check to the face on Bourdon. HE does that EVERY time. hes Chris Simon Jr. Trotz said it was to the chest. we could see from the top level it was to the face
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

to he chest?!? haha... brutal.

According to TSN no suspensions for anyone. Much as I don't like Tootoo getting, if that's what I have to pay for Bieksa not getting one either (screwed up logic, I know, but it is the NHL...) then I'm willing to take it. I love Bieksa. I know people have been harping on him all year, and concerned that he's not that good, and even on the hilights, NSH almost had a goal after Juice couldn't find a puck in his feet, but he does provide that emotional edge that Jovo had, and we all remember that Jovo wasn't exactly Mr. Reliable on the back end either. I'll take the occasional gaffs in exchange for the offense, and the absolute mean streak. I bet DeVries pooped himself when he yanked Bieksa down, and then Kevin jumped up. Even in the hilights you can see him "snap". The way he flung his elbow pad off? haha... awesome :)

Raymond needs waaaay more than 13 minutes a game. He's gonna be a TON of fun over the next few years. Great game, fun to listen to, and here's hoping it sparks something.

Who do you call up to replace miller? McIver or Fitzgerald?
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

weaver will probably slot in. I kinda like what he brings when he plays low minutes. lets hope Millers injury is not as bad as it looks (yeah right)

also I think while Bieksa looked to take the worst punch in that fight he got back up swinging and got some good ones in. Hes got such a mean disposition.

you gotta love that in a Dman.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

I'm glad to see the Canucks put on a good show for Brian, Matt and Cookie. Not a better time to break out of a scoring slump.
Barry Trotz can go fug himself. He's a hypocrite. When Skrastin played for Nashville and speared Bertuzzi in the cojones at the end of a Predators/Canucks game, Trotztky whined and bitched about Bertuzzi dropping the gloves and breaking Skrastin's nose. Then he went around yapping about "seeing it' in Bertuzzi after the Moore incident. Yet he does nothing and condones Tootoo actions, lying for him when his actions are inexcusable. If Troztky can't discipline and control Tootoo, then he should be suspended as long as his player when the NHL finally does suspend Tootoo for an incident that is bound to happen one game.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

oh yeah... forgot about Micro-Weave.

He'll do fine... maybe he can get a point even!