GDT - 2/27/08 Canucks vs AVS 7PM TSN HD Team 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Joe Sakic can lick my chocolate salty balls... :x

Terrific game. Pettinger looked great in his first game; hopefully, there's plenty more where that came from as he didn't look out of place on the Kesler/Burrows line. Sedin/Sedin/Naslund again had some chances but couldn't bury them. MayRay/Shannon/Pyatt if AV can keep them together look like they'll continue to create chemistry - MayRay's speed really adds an interesting dimension to their attack as well as backcheck. I thought BXA played well; Salo seemed to have a tough time; and Edler looked comical colliding with Raymond on Brunette's goal.

Goat of the game for me goes to Henrik who glided out from behind the goal line next to Sakic only to lose his check at the side of the net. :x I thought Kesler was unfairly blamed for not clearing the puck - I thought Henrik needed to play with more urgency and close on Sakic much faster (or at all) I think Mitchell was closer.

I really liked what I saw tonight. Colorado upgraded on defence and with their returning players, Smyth, Sakic and Stastny, improved on offence since they last saw them in early February. Despite that I thought Vancouver actually had more scoring chances and controlled the play more than Colorado did; as a result, they never trailed. I figured that Colorado would win it in the SO, given that they can throw out Hejduk, Sakic, and Svatos and still have Stastny, Brunette, and Smyth. I can't believe that AV would put a couple of rookies out there, but what are you gonna do?

I thought Theodore played very well, but the difference for me was Foote. He manhandled the Sedins a couple of times; it'll be a long series if AV doesn't figure out a way around him. I thought he was HUGE tonight.

My three stars:
1. Foote :x
2. Theodore
3. Burrows

Fuh KJoe Sakic. :x
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

...cunning, nice report...foote, i think, was excited to back to the avs and played a hell of a game, but mcguire coulda shut up about it...and why does tsn show power plays from the camera behind the goal, that's a very very annoying angle to watch it from.

the canucks played well, pettinger was good, but a copule of times mixed up on break out, to be expected

kesler is really picking it up, and i think pyatt was happy to be up with the kids...still this team could learn something from the avs on how to run a break out...i thought the tying goal was a bit unlucky, and all in all, this team is starting to play their game.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

I have to say the Sedins were knocked around and flattened alot last night. they better start getting tougher as that will only increase every game going forward
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

I only saw the last period and the ovetime/SO, but from what I saw we were taking the game to the Avs for the majority of the third. Pyatt was a monster on the forecheck, not so much in the hitting department, but using his body and reach to check the D and break up passes. I love the speed coming back into our lineup, the shutdown line can all fly and the Shannon/Raymond combo is complemented quite nicely by the size of Pyatt. It's good to see Bieksa back out there, he played a very solid game. As much as I hate saying it, Linden just doesn't have enough game anymore, I'd much rather see Ritchie draw in.
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Be interesting to see how the team rebounds from this "loss".

Uncharacteristically their D coverage cost them the win in regulation. For the most part they should be encouraged by their overall play, but the Sakic factor was just too much in the dying seconds.

They play each other 3 more times. If the remaining games are this entertaining (less the million $ shoot out ;) ) it should be fun to watch.