NONIS ON TEAM 1040 - TRADES IMMINENT! (Feb 08)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

newostar
CC 2nd Team All-Star

NONIS ON TEAM 1040 - TRADES IMMINENT! (Feb 08)

Post by newostar »

DN was on the team 1040 this morning and had some good answers for nucks fan.

A summary:

Talking about Bourdon: "There was very intense interest (at GM Meetings) for young defencemen and we're lucky to have a few of them."

About possible trades: "There is an opportunity to make a couples moves and I think we'll probably do at least of them. Only time will tell how significant the move will be."

Will the look of the team have changed by next Wednesday? "The look of the team will probably be a little different. There are teams waiting for other moves to be made before something can be finalized. We have some decisions to make this weekend and we'll see what happens."

So it seems like there are a couple of offers on the table to make moves. One would guess that Bourdon will be implicated somehow if they do something before the deadline.

Who do think the nucks are actually going after?
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

the thing is newostar is that Nonis could have a interview later today and say the following

- we dont want to give up our young players
- if there is a deal that is a good hockey deal we will make it

so its back to square one. I did not hear it so I Cant say how it sounded but hes been up and down in his media comments for 2 weeks now.

6 days left and we will know for sure.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

While I do hope that Nonis makes moves, here is what I hope to say (and what I hope not to see).

1) Don't trade away some major prospects for a "rental" player (that may leave next year...or the year after), or an aging superstar.

2) Don't trade away key defensive components for offensive help. The Canucks' current style is not conductive to scoring many goals as it is. By sacrificing defensive depth for offensive help, all you are doing is adding assets while depleting other ones (so that overall 'net gain' is close to '0'). On top of that - adding more offensive players (at the expense of our defense) may give the team a false sense of "offensive prowess" (which they won't have). Even if they add a couple of key offensive ingredients, the Canucks will still have an 'average' offense at best.

3) Kesler, Edler, and Burrows should not be traded at any cost. (IMO - they are untouchable).

4) I don't mind seeing Bourdon or Schneider (and perhaps another 1st rounder and a current roster player) get packaged IF it gets...

a) A superstar player (or very close to superstar level) that FITS THE CURRENT SYSTEM (i.e. Marian Hossa is used to playing "free wheeling" offensive hockey....and so the Canucks' current system may not be suitable for him).

b) A superstar/very good player that is under the age of 30

c) Someone that is not a free agent at season's end (or the year after).

This is perhaps UNREALISTIC criteria that I have set forth but if I was Nonis, I wouldn't budge on this.

Remember - this is a SELLER's market. At the trade deadline, buyers almost ALWAYS get fleeced.

If Nonis is going to make moves, be smart about it. Get players that will make an appreciable impact (read - NOT an Eric Weinreich type!), but don't get green-eyed (read - Atlanta last year).

The Edmonton Oilers from a few season's ago, was a PERFECT example of what a GM should do IMO. As a result - they had a nice Cinderalla-like run.

a) A very solid player
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

1. This thread soooo didn't warrant capital letters.

2. Calling Alex Burrows "untouchable" may be extending the meaning of the word beyond its intended ambit.
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Jyrki21 wrote:2. Calling Alex Burrows "untouchable" may be extending the meaning of the word beyond its intended ambit.
You are too kind.

And wishy-washy.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Yeah no rental players for picks or prospects please. If we aren't getting a legitimate scoring or a superstar right winger then I don't see the point in making any other moves unless they're complete steals.
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

I dunno, it sounds like DN was just having fun stirring the pot...and all the GM's are talking like that right now...like, read the quotes from this article:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=230121&hubname=nhl

This is my favorite:
"I've talked to enough people to know that there are some possible things that will happen," said Senators GM Bryan Murray. "Whether they'll happen with me or not I'm not absolutely sure. But it sounds like there's a few people doing a few things and I feel like I'm in the mix with a couple of them if I want to be."

So do you want to be, or don't you want to be? And what the hell does he mean **possible** things that **will** happen...will they happen, or are they only possibilities?
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Jyrki21 wrote: 2. Calling Alex Burrows "untouchable" may be extending the meaning of the word beyond its intended ambit.
LOL - I guess it IS a bit strange to label Burrows as an "untouchable", but here are my reasons:

1) The guy has heart. Period. These guys should NEVER be traded if possible. The way Burrows stuck up for Mitchell the other night (against Rolston) was just an example of a character guy.

2) Effective penalty killer, works his butt off. Again - exactly the type of guy that you'd want playing for you.

3) He's still pretty young.

4) Underrated offensive talent (diamond in the rough?). Burrows won't be confused with Sidney Crosby anytime soon, but the guy does have some hidden offensive talent. Some of the goals that Burrows has scored has been very pretty......goals of which that can only be scored by true offensive talents. Burrows has also recorded a hattrick in the past. Perhaps these are only "flashes of brilliance", but I also think that Burrows is that type of guy that could EASILY break-out (think Martin Gelinas - 1997).

For all these reasons, I would consider Burrows to be an "untouchable." The ONLY way I'd consider giving up Burrows, is if he was a part of a packaged deal which landed us a bonafide superstar (under the age of 30), and was under contract for a number of years.

Even with that being said - I'd be VERY hesitant to let Burrows go.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Burrows is about as untouchable as a dirty diaper. He has a use and once he's full of urine or fecies you throw him out.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Burrows is about as untouchable as a dirty diaper. He has a use and once he's full of urine or fecies you throw him out.
I respect Farhan's comments, Alex is younger version of Cooke and Richie, right now is he better than these two? Sure maybe down the road he might have some offensive upside, time will tell. All three of these guys are heart type guys, the two will drop the gloves only Cooke is a turtle.

As usual Blob your comments are always enlightening.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Burrows is one of those players you let leave for UFA when he's age 30 and look for younger players in the pipeline that'll do the same dirty work for a cheaper price.

One of the ever growing problems in the NHL is a lack of a cap for players of certain talents. Matt Cooke should never be paid $1.5m, but he will not settle for anything less because each year teams and players alike feel obliged to give/get some sort of pay raise. The Kings were absolutely stupid to throw $4m at Handzus, who should only be paid $2.5m maximum realistically.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Jovorock wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Burrows is about as untouchable as a dirty diaper. He has a use and once he's full of urine or fecies you throw him out.
I respect Farhan's comments, Alex is younger version of Cooke and Richie, right now is he better than these two? Sure maybe down the road he might have some offensive upside, time will tell. All three of these guys are heart type guys, the two will drop the gloves only Cooke is a turtle.

As usual Blob your comments are always enlightening.

As far as Matt Cooke goes, I'm a little interested to see how he plays once Morrison comes back. Ditto for Jeff Cowan.

Cooke REALLY stepped up his game last year when he played alongside Morrison on the 2nd/3rd line (Cooe/Morrison/Linden or Cooke/Morrison/Cowan). In fact - that line combo was one of the biggest reasons why the Canucks turned it around last season. It finally gave the Canucks some much needed secondary scoring. Perhaps we'll see a little deja vu?

Sedin-Sedin-Pyatt
Naslund-(RICHARDS/JOKINEN)-Shannon
Cooke-Morrison-Cowan
Burrows-Linden-Isbister/Raymond

(I'm a little unfamilar with lines right now, so I apologize if these hypothetical combo's aren't that accurate.....I've been in South Korea for the past half-year :P).
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

While I wouldn't label Burrows as untouchable, I don't think he's someone I'd unload in a trade very easily. Namely he has value to us and noone else. He and Kesler are the key components to our checking line, and the only reason we've given up the 2nd fewest goals in the Western conference. (Okay Louie too, but outside of him) They've been one of the few constants this year, and have played their role perfectly. Plus they have underrated offensive potential. While I don't expect them to be our 2nd line any time soon, given a decent playmaking RW (read: not Isbister) I don't think it's a stretch the to think the pair could combine for 30-35 goals in a season.

Furthermore, Burrows is a key component to our PK. I still think it was a serious mistake letting Green go last year, and if we let Burrows walk in a season or two we'll face a similar decrease in our PK percentage. He's extremely useful when we are down a man, and after Kess he's the guy I want on the ice.

Burrows isn't incredible, and he's a far cry from untouchable, but I think he's invaluable in his own way. He is a role player that does his job to a key, and this year has potted the occasional goal. He's the sort of guy that every defensive team needs to fill out their roster. Plus at 500k he's more than worth it cap-wise.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Maybe Cooke stepped up last year, but in hockey it's what did you do last shift. Cooke has shown that he is likley wasted with a play making centre. He can hit and maybe p!ss opposition off. But at $1.5Mil you can get or should be able to get three roster players of equal ability and finish. No one payed Tyson Nash those sort of dollars and I doubt if DN will ever pay Burrows that sort of money. Rypien steps in next season, assuming he hasn't torn some thing between now and then. Cooke will have a new postal code. Cowan , seems to me is baling a lot this season and seems to lack the passion he did last season. Passion is a must in his role

What does stand out now is Morrison is more valable than most ( including myself) thought. Assuming he come back in the near future I think he's going to help immensley and if he can play with any one with the most remote finish he'll add to the line up. They mentioned last night that this will be his first season in the last three that he will be playing healthy.
cheers