GDT February Sat. 16 , Oilers @ GM Place on CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

great game. But that shit at the end was just bush league Mactavish! Sending out that knuckledragging Stortini was unnecessary and classless.
What did Mactvish say after the game? I missed that for some reason........
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Old time hockey ? Certainly shows that intimidation is difficult at this level, even tho' the Nux don't measure up to this type of play (at least on paper).
mr perfect wrote:What is Vigneault's mad, passionate manlove for Byron Ritchie?
Against the Hawks he took on Burish (?) on the opening face off. Last night he stood up tp Stortini at the drop of the puck. (no fight but he wasn't intimidated). The fact that he plays "big" in respect to taking on players who's role isn't offensive (that would be points wise) means a lot to his team mates.

If the Nux play this style of game for the balance of the year, Nonis will need to bring in a heavy weight to offset the running of his skilled guys.

Hey, Laforge I see your post brings up Linden over and over ad nauseam. Go back to your last post and answer my question about your infatuation.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

great game ....... best in a year.. Kudos to all the nucks ( maybe not Trev ) they all showed up .... My new poster boy ? Burrows !!! god has he got jam... If they play with 1/2 the passion for the rest of the year... they are a contender !!
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Great. GREAT game to watch!

One point I wasn't happy with, when the Canucks scored the 3rd goal to go ahead 3-2 with 9 min left in the 3rd, the crowd started chanting "Oilers suck!" What a retarded chant, if the Oilers suck, what does that say about us? We were clinging to a one goal lead in a great, tight, hard fought game. If that's sucking then we're only slightly better then sucking?

That chant should have been cheering our team on to a strong finish, not trying to ridicule an opposing team imo. "Oilers suck" only provides motivation for the other team, while doing nothing to motivate our team. If anything it would make the players less motivated to see our fans showing a lack of respect, even to a heated rival.

Thats one thing I've always hated about canuck fans, instead of cheering on our own team we seem to hate on the other team. If I were on the ice in a tight game I would get much more pumped up hearing 16000-18000 people chanting for my team then I would to hear "____ suck!" Besides that, the timing was ridiculous! moments after we get a 1 goal lead in a great, hard fought game, with 9 min left to go in the third. it would have been all too easy to blow that lead, and then what, do we start the "Canucks suck" chant? Or is that when we Boo Luongo again? bah

anyways, just had to get that rant out of my system. other then that, it was one of my favorite games of the season! :mrgreen:
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

sk8er wrote:great game. But that shit at the end was just bush league Mactavish! Sending out that knuckledragging Stortini was unnecessary and classless.
What did Mactvish say after the game? I missed that for some reason........
From TSN's recap......
"I didn't see anything dirty in the game," said Oilers coach Craig MacTavish, who only took exception to an uncalled hit from behind by Matt Cooke on defenseman Mathieu Roy. "There was no back stabbing, there were eyeball to eyeball altercations and fights and that s part of hockey."
These are the only comments I can find. I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. As much as I think MacT is a tool, he's right in this case.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

why is he a tool? The reason he sent stortini out there cause he was one of there best players all night. The only line that was going well was their fourth. I was wondering in that sort of scenario can the refs just say stay on yoru benches we are just going to drop the puck and finish this garbage?

The cooke hit, can't remember who said it earlier about players not protecting themselves i couldn't agree more about the mixed feelings. Players shouldn't be aloud to just take the puck when they go head into the boards because their back is turned.. Seems like alot of players are trying to use that as a way of protecting the puck. But in that case when a player doesn't help his case a player in cookes position has to be smart about it too. luckily Roy wasn't hurt. But he already did that too himself in preseason when Rypien hit him and took him out. you would think a guy would learn his lesson after not being able to play due to the same situation.
you could also see cooke on the bench yelling that he new he was coming and didn't do anything to protect himself. You saw Ohlund move out of the way of stortini earlier in the game. Not that difficult to figure it out. Although i guess the whole idea of being a fringe player and trying to make the team toughness always seems to be the first thing looked for by coaches. Anyways enough arguing with myself
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Roy looked back before Cooke hit him. It might have been a penalty but Roy was a fool for not protecting himself on that play.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Just as an aside to this game, the oilers away jerseys have to be the worst in the league. they look like pyjama tops.........