Michael Cammalleri

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Michael Cammalleri

Post by mattola »

there are rumours (Spectors) that have the Kings Shopping Michael Cammalleri.

They are looking for goaltending Depth.

Would Cory Schneider and a 1st round pick be enough for him? I would love to have this guy in our lineup.
newostar
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by newostar »

That would be nice, but Nonis isn't going to make any major deals this year.

He is a disciple of the Burke deadline day school of thought.

Maybe in the summer.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

The Kings need a goaltender, not a goaltending prospect. They have Jonathan Bernier in the pipes, all they need is a stop-gap until he is ready to take over as a full time #1 in 3 or 4 years. Schneider isn't the answer for them. They'll want someone like Emery who can hold the fort for a while, and mentor Bernier when he starts becoming a #1A.

If the Sens hadn't just traded for a Winger, I wouldn't have been surprised to see Emery and perhaps a pick or prospect traded to LA for Cammalleri.

Although Killa Cam would look sweet in the Green and Blue, I just don't see it happening.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Yeah, he's an interesting player, but Schneider and a 1st won't do it. This is the problem with us dealing away our picks for odds and ends, we just don't have the girth of young talent to even assemble a package at the moment. So this year, lets just save it, so if with our cap space next year, we're on the verge, we might be able to land some real assets.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Is there anyone smaller we can deal for?

He's a good player, but I don't see us needed another small guy, and as mentioned above, the Kings have their future goaltending situation sealed - it just won't come soon enough.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

With the way the Kings' goaltending looks these days, they might consider Sanford a #1.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

That would be nice, but Nonis isn't going to make any major deals this year.
wow. you are a fountain of positive thought on any topic concerning the managment of the team. Every thread you post in, you make the same type of comment.

I am just curious, do you read other peoples minds and know what they think, or just have the greater mind power talents to simply control those people to do and act as you want? The only reason I say this, is because all the posts you make are grand sweeping , all encomapssing statements which are ususally not true.

And as to the 'do nothing like Burke' comment, other than adding Brad May at the deadline, I would say that worked out pretty darned well for him last year, so I wouldn't be getting my panties in a knot if not a lot happened at the deadline this year, beacuse simply making moves to 'be players' at the deadline usually doesn't work out so welll ( see last years Islanders, Preds and Thrashers)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I'd have to agree with newostar here, and say that DN won't be making any big deals come trade deadline day.

Burke has the luxury of not doing anything on deadline day because he inherited a very, very good team and re-signed players in the offseason that he knew could perform in the right situation.

Nonis does not have the luxury Burke has, but I'd have to say over the past two years he has failed to recognize that the pipeline is bare and our pro squad lacks offensive oomph. History dictates that DN stands pat yet again this year.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I don't like the assumption that because we haven't made a big deal at the deadline that Nonis has failed to recognize our offense sucks. They're are 30 teams, and maybe 5 legitimate offensive players available, you guys do the math. Even if Nonis wants to do something it doesn't necessarily mean he can. I'm not even really sure that it's a fair grounds for criticism. When the big fish was around last time he pounced (Luongo, clearly), he's in on Forsberg. You cannot say that he's all about standing pat, it's just not a matter of wishing for something and it coming to pass.
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

I think Nonis has done a pretty decent job on deadline day the past few years. Hindsight is always 20/20 but nonis has always done a few deas on deadline day. They weren't of the blockbuster type, but always resonable value obtaining guys that woulda/shoulda/coulda helped the cause. As others have mentioned Dn has certain constraints to work against (cap room, lack of prospect depth) but he hasn't made any big mistakes either. Given the state of this franchise I think he done a pretty good balancing act between helping the team now and into the future. If we get healthy by the deadline it will be like landing 5 new guys anyway. Everbody always wants a big splash but it isn't really prudent to over mortgage the future. Personally I'd be happy with a guy like Ryder coming over which could be doable. At the rate we're going it might even be wise to be sellers at the top of the market. Hate to say it but I don't see us really doing much more than last year, but with a healthy team, a little bit of cap room and a few more pieces I think we could be a real contender next year.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

the toucan kid wrote:I don't like the assumption that because we haven't made a big deal at the deadline that Nonis has failed to recognize our offense sucks. They're are 30 teams, and maybe 5 legitimate offensive players available, you guys do the math. Even if Nonis wants to do something it doesn't necessarily mean he can. I'm not even really sure that it's a fair grounds for criticism. When the big fish was around last time he pounced (Luongo, clearly), he's in on Forsberg. You cannot say that he's all about standing pat, it's just not a matter of wishing for something and it coming to pass.
I don't think it's the lack of big deadline deals, but more so the choice of off-season signings like Ritchie and Isbister. I would have to agree that there are only a handful of players made available to us (no way we'd land Jokinen, Kaberle, or Tanguay) and this year there seems to be a LOT more buyers than sellers (much like last year... could this be the parity Bettman wanted?).

I understand the hesitancy by DN to part with players/picks/prospects for playoff rentals, but can you really defend him in his off-season signings?
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Well he's signed a bunch of fourth line players to play on the third/fourth line. The only signing I really dislike is Cowan, but these are all trivial moves. You will remember of course that those guys weren't signed until all the big fish were off the market.
Larionov
CC Veteran

Post by Larionov »

levelheaded wrote:They'll want someone like Emery who can hold the fort for a while, and mentor Bernier when he starts becoming a #1A.
Yeah, because Ray Emery would be a great mentor for a young goalie. "Come with me, nephew, while I show you how to crash your SUV, miss team flights, be late for practice, get into fights at practice, and be involved in road rage incidents." :shock:
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

jchockey wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:I don't like the assumption that because we haven't made a big deal at the deadline that Nonis has failed to recognize our offense sucks. They're are 30 teams, and maybe 5 legitimate offensive players available, you guys do the math. Even if Nonis wants to do something it doesn't necessarily mean he can. I'm not even really sure that it's a fair grounds for criticism. When the big fish was around last time he pounced (Luongo, clearly), he's in on Forsberg. You cannot say that he's all about standing pat, it's just not a matter of wishing for something and it coming to pass.
I don't think it's the lack of big deadline deals, but more so the choice of off-season signings like Ritchie and Isbister. I would have to agree that there are only a handful of players made available to us (no way we'd land Jokinen, Kaberle, or Tanguay) and this year there seems to be a LOT more buyers than sellers (much like last year... could this be the parity Bettman wanted?).

I understand the hesitancy by DN to part with players/picks/prospects for playoff rentals, but can you really defend him in his off-season signings?
Agreed. I have no problem with DN's lack of deadline deals. Usually they are egregiously overpriced, and are moves of desperation not thoughtful contemplation. That said, DN has known since our tanking in the second round of the playoffs last year that our primary concern was to improve the offense of this team. My qualm is that as of yet he has done absolutely nothing to rectify that.

Maybe another Luongoesque deal hasn't been thrown in his lap. Maybe teams don't really want to part with their offensive talent. Maybe he has been crossing his fingers and hoping that Grabner would turn into the second coming of Bure. I don't know. Whatever the case he has not given this team what has been a blatantly apparent need for almost a year.

Thus I don't have a problem that he isn't breaking the bank to add a few overpriced players at the deadline. I just think he should have done something in the past nine months of more import than swapping Ritchie for Greene, Isbister for Bulis, Miller for Sopel, etc. While such moves could arguably have been minor improvements, they have done squat at rectifying the primary issue.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
jchockey wrote:

Maybe another Luongoesque deal hasn't been thrown in his lap. Maybe teams don't really want to part with their offensive talent. Maybe he has been crossing his fingers and hoping that Grabner would turn into the second coming of Bure. I don't know. Whatever the case he has not given this team what has been a blatantly apparent need for almost a year.

Thus I don't have a problem that he isn't breaking the bank to add a few overpriced players at the deadline. I just think he should have done something in the past nine months of more import than swapping Ritchie for Greene, Isbister for Bulis, Miller for Sopel, etc. While such moves could arguably have been minor improvements, they have done squat at rectifying the primary issue.
Do we want a GM who needs to have the right player to be "throw into his lap"? Luongo had been rumoured to be on the move ever since Keenan took over and it just so happened that we had a Keenan-type player (Bertuzzi) who was overpaid for by the Panthers. Do we really have to wait another 10-odd years before the next big trade falls into Nonis' lap?

As I've said before swapping Ritchie for Green, Isbister for Bulis, etc. I feel has been more of a product of DN choosing not to lose anything rather than improve.