GDT 1/29/2008 Canucks vs Stars 7pm TV: SNET (HD), Radio 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

LIVE FROM THE PRESS BOX: NASLUND'S PLAYING

Post by B. Mackin »

Hey, Naslund showed up.... at least in the final 90 seconds.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Naslund 4-3

a whole lot of too little too late for this team. seems like its been that too many times in the last 3 weeks
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

this team is a bunch of fucking plumbers .........

10 seconds to go faceoff in the Stars zone.

timeout vancouver.

man this team blows my mind sometimes.

cmon boys. but every :skilled: player on this team on the ice and try to win the faceoff.

go canucks go
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

meh....

good thing the teams below suck just that much more......

better beat the bolts on thursday
UpYerKilt
24 Hours Reporter

last 10 mins

Post by UpYerKilt »

The only reason the Canucks dominated the final 10 mins was because Dallas went into a prevent defense. Every road team with a decent lead does it knowing fully well that they're handing the momentum over. For the most part it works and did so tonight.

Queue the Jim Mora Playoffs? clip
Vancouver 24 Hours reporter
Spill Your Guts - Every Wednesday
email me with your Canuck thoughts and we'll put them in the Wed paper. guts.mctavish@24hrs.ca
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

rofl

I love how everyone always seems to rip on wide open exciting hockey and they praise Oh WE GOT LUONGO!!! DEFENSE FIRST!!!! We can do some damage...

I see none of that, this team and last years team have shown none of that...

The Canucks didn't deserve to beat Dallas last year.
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

LIVE FROM THE PRESS BOX: BUY-CENTENNIAL

Post by B. Mackin »

My condolences to one and all who have faithfully supported this mediocre franchise through the 200-claimed sellouts.
That's 200 games in which the organization claims tickets were completely distributed. Not to be confused with full house or fully paid attendance, which are not disclosed.
You deserve better. Unless the team makes a trade for a marksman or Bieksa and Morrison miraculously return before mid-February, you might have to wait until 2008-2009.
20 regulation wins in the next 31 games? Possible? Yes. Plausible? At this time.... no.
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

The Canucks are lucky to be in the playoffs right now.

They got lucky to get a point in Detroit because Luongo played out of his mind and the Canucks got some lucky breaks... wish Luongo could play like that all the time.

They got an even BIGGER break against St. Louis.. that should have been a goal, Luongo never had the puck but the ref lost sight of the puck.

Tampa Bay should be a good cure for these blues.
B. Mackin
24 Hours Reporter

LIVE FROM THE PRESS BOX: GAME WRAP

Post by B. Mackin »

Stars 4 Canucks 3
Bob Mackin
24 hours Vancouver

The Buzz:
The visiting Dallas Stars beat the slumping Vancouver Canucks 4-3 on Tuesday. The Canucks have no regulation wins in their last 10 games.

The Mike and Mike Show:
Mike Modano had a goal and an assist for the Stars. Mike Ribeiro had two helpers.

Exit Sandman:
Curtis Sanford allowed three goals on 12 shots before he was replaced by Drew MacIntyre. An ugly performance for the Sandman, just like his mask. Can a backup goaltender afford to have an "off-night" when he gets so few chances to have an "on-night?"

Luongo Watch
The temperature in South Florida last night was 21 Celsius. One can only wonder if Roberto Luongo stayed up late to watch or listen to another too-little, too-late performance by his teammates. He was in South Florida for a mid-season visit with his pregnant wife, even though he had six-million reasons to be in Vancouver. Would he have been permitted to skip the game if it had been a pay-per-view telecast?

They're from Prince Edward Island:
MacIntyre and defenseman Nathan McIver provided a connection to Canada's tiniest province last night. The natives of the bright red mud where Confederation was born had their moment in the spotlight. McIver for fighting and MacIntyre for relieving Sanford the sieve. McIver is likely to stay a while during Willie Mitchell's absence, while MacIntyre is a candidate to return to the Manitoba Moose.

“Buy-centennialâ€￾:
Canucks Sports and Entertainment -- the company formerly known as Orca Bay -- claimed its 200th sellout. Not to be confused with full house (there were empty seats) or fully paid attendance (there were freebies).

Go Away:
The Canucks start a four-game road trip Thursday in Tampa Bay (4:30 p.m. Team 1040/Sportsnet).
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I guess the only question now is, will Luongo come back refreshed, ready to carry this team into the playoffs as far as possible? Although I didn't see the game, it sounds like it showed what we look like without a superstar in the lineup.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

In all these years what's bothering me most ist the fact that too many people just see black or white transferring a win is white and a loss, guess what ?, black.

There's much more in between. The Canucks had enough chances to win this game and turn it around, so much for the break, damn and no one would really complain if they had won this...

On the other side, the complaints are an indication that it gets tighter to get in the playoffs the less games they have in hand.

It shouldn't be an excuse but we all should have in mind that several players are missing and even a B-Mo on this team is an important factor, that's reality.

Instead of complaining we should support our team, it's not that they're not trying...

Go Canucks Go.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Linden Is God wrote:
Soapy wrote:Ribeiro looks unreal tonight. He's all over the place. I don't know much about his history but I looked up how Dallas got him. They stole him from MTL.
Dallas is a solid franchise. I would hate to face them again in the playoffs.

"Bob Gainey traded underachieving Canadiens Centre Mike Ribeiro to the Dallas Stars for Janne Niinimaa in Oct 2007"
I follow the Habs pretty closely (family of Habs fans) and Gainey had to get rid of Ribeiro. He was part of a click (along with Theodore and Dagenais) that were getting into trouble around town (or so the rumours said). Yes the Stars stole him now, but at the time, he was just a waste of space.

Matty, I'm aware of the site, I go there from time to time, but seeing as you posted the pic of Lupul in the thread, I thought that you may have been connected to the site somehow.
I know he was run out of town by the fans. ( I have since read about him) They have other players to fill his spot.
He may have been a waste of space....BUT..Dallas stepped up & gave MTL nothing for the future...for a special player....
Sometimes its not what you get that makes you better...its what you trade away...I think this falls in that column......where were the Canucks that day??
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Cornuck wrote:I guess the only question now is, will Luongo come back refreshed, ready to carry this team into the playoffs as far as possible? .
The way this team is scoring even Lou can't win us a game right now.

I agree to many pluggers and not enough scorers, a trade is needed or shut it down and be a seller at trade deadline time.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
Instead of complaining we should support our team, it's not that they're not trying...

Go Canucks Go.
I support them just fine but when they stink it up you get this game. then they come just within a hair after its too late and people jump on the oh.. we should have won... if we played 60 mins like that last 10 maybe we would have destroyed them but thats not in the Canucks it hasn't been all year and that is what is disturbing.

no consistency.

what makes our cries of foul all too real is that this play has been going on since the Rangers 3-0 win. and Its gaining momentum.. bad momentum. they are looking like the early season team and Im sure none of us want that. Im here during the good or bad play and comment on both. but with 31 games to go Im nervous. with the injuries we have the team only 1 point up on 9th makes me even more nervous. Lou comes back and I expect nothing less than 3 wins in the next 4 games on this road trip. that is very realistic. if we get 4 of 4 we will be pretty good going down the stretch but lets start with Tampa Bay the second worst team in the league... we should beat them right......

ask the Kings.
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Good post Cookie.

Bottom line. Nux lose by 1 goal. Does the play reflect that ? No. Will this be remembered after the next game or two ? Probably not.

Short synopsis. Turco outplayed Sanford.

Nux had energy to start the game, lack of finish & no PP result.

Even with the Stars up 3-1 the Nux had an opportunity with a PP and gave up a shorty. Did they give up ?

Even if Dallas went into a defensive shell (which the Nux sem to be famous for) the Nux closed to within one.

If Pyatt converts any of his chances, is the outcome different ?

For all the short commings they still lost by one. Was it ugly ? Duh. Does the team need a make-over ? Certainly a healthy squad would help.

Looks like Salo re-injured something and with Mitchell out for a few games, the team will struggle for awhile yet.