Getting time to fire Vigneault

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Some of us are closet Flames fans in a pinch. :shock:

I jumped on to the Flames bandwagon when they put us out of the playoffs a couple of seasons ago.

It was a great run to game seven and I'm still an Iggy fan.

...except when he's playing against us.

But Vancouver-Calgary games are still my favorite.
cgyfireman
AHL Prospect

Post by cgyfireman »

Grizzly wrote:
cgyfireman wrote:
SRsez wrote:
cgyfireman wrote:You guys have one of the best coaches in the league....no way you fire him.
What do you know? Another EBL=more bullshit. Quelle surprise.

Calgary has one of the best coaches in the league - too bad for them he's the GM. :rofl:

Whoa....you my friend are full of hate.

Had this site recommended on Calgary Puck.....not so sure anymore.
Hang in there buddy ... there are some great posters here with some excellent insight etc. Always good to hear from someone new that can add to the conversation .... so welcome and enjoy things here.

Grizz

Thanks griz,appreciate it.

Yeah I watched the Canucks Blues game last night hoping for a Blues win.
I grew up a huge Nucks fan but switched over to Calgary after living here 15 years.

No question you guys are our biggest rival.I was out there for a game in November when you hammered us.

Damn I hate all-star break....no NHL games for a few days....grrrr.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

My life is so full of irony !

The first thread in which I can recall agreeing with SRsez (in content, not presentation) may be his last.

My primary argument for replacing Vigneault has nothing to do with the standings or performance, it has to do with the reason for watching hockey: entertainment. Perhaps I've just been extremely unfortunate in my sample, but I have found the Canucks excruciatingly boring to watch this year. Vigneault's system may or may not be a trap, but whatever it is, it produces dull hockey games.

Who's better and available ? News out of Toronto suggests that Scotty Bowman can, at least theoretically, be coaxed out of retirement. I think a case can be made that he is reasonably competent. :roll: Failing that, I loved the suggestion that another poster made when the position was actually open : Larionov. But honestly, I'd be willing to give Hanlon another shot here (always liked Hanlon) if it would make the games more entertaining.

Finally, for all of you who have bought into the "defence is what wins championships" mantra, surely some of you are old enough to have watched hockey in the 80's ? Did anyone on the Oilers besides Fuhr and Moog even know where their own net was ? They did OK. I think that's how you get the most value out of having (some nights) the best goalie in the world -- let your best player make plays for you. It's not like the current system is even keeping the shots Luongo faces that low anyway.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:The first thread in which I can recall agreeing with SRsez (in content, not presentation) may be his last.
You got it. This is my last post ever.

Firstly, I'm called upon to apologize? For my "tone"? The poster who started everything has apologized, so that should be the end of it, but nooooo.

Then, I leave for a few days to think about it. So I think, yeah, okay, I was a bit out of line by biting the guys head off, maybe I'll go back & say I'm sorry.

But then I get hear & read a Calgarypuker being openly welcomed, and I say "No more".

There are just some things a guy can't handle.

Have your politically correct site, but always remember there are a lot of guys who live in the real world that won't tolerate that kind of B.S., and SR is always going to be one of them.

Friends, feel free to drop me an email sometime if you want to chat about real hockey.

After the Canucks are eliminated next year, remember this thread was the first, and how not only was I right about firing AV, I was right about when the bandwagoners would jump on board.

And one last this: F*ck Calgary, it's hockey teams, people that live there, and anyone that supports them.

p.s. WTF happened to the board? This set-up sucks.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

:lol: :mrgreen: What a departure....hail hail rock'n roll.

ps: Hey SRsez, i'm not sure if you won't do a "Niedermeyer".
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

I'm not too worried about AV's system.

It isn't run 'n gun hockey but, with speedsters like Burrows, Kesler & Raymond, we're still getting end for end rushes.
A little more finish would be nice but it's at least promising to see the D jumping in on the rush lately.

No team can play the old Oilers' style in this 'new' NHL.
Clutching & grabbing was allowed in their heyday.

They would jump out to a multi-goal lead then line up on their blue line and tackle anyone trying to carry the puck in.
Though their skill set was awesome..Gretzky, Messier, Currie, Coffee...Watch some old archive footage of a complete game, not just the highlights, and you'll find the memory is more impressive than the reality.

These days the defence has to have body position or take a penalty. AV's system plays to this need though I agree it goes too far sometimes.

He's been experimenting lately, looking for a new balance between solid defence and more offence.

He hasn't found it yet but I'm not ready to give up on him this early.

...not after the job he did last year with a very similar roster.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

SRsez wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote:The first thread in which I can recall agreeing with SRsez (in content, not presentation) may be his last.

Firstly, I'm called upon to apologize? For my "tone"? The poster who started everything has apologized, so that should be the end of it, but nooooo.

Then, I leave for a few days to think about it. So I think, yeah, okay, I was a bit out of line by biting the guys head off, maybe I'll go back & say I'm sorry.

But then I get hear & read a Calgarypuker being openly welcomed, and I say "No more".

Have your politically correct site, but always remember there are a lot of guys who live in the real world that won't tolerate that kind of B.S., and SR is always going to be one of them.

Friends, feel free to drop me an email sometime if you want to chat about real hockey.

After the Canucks are eliminated next year, remember this thread was the first, and how not only was I right about firing AV, I was right about when the bandwagoners would jump on board.

And one last this: F*ck Calgary, it's hockey teams, people that live there, and anyone that supports them.

Drama queen.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

whistler wrote:
Watch some old archive footage of a complete game, not just the highlights, and you'll find the memory is more impressive than the reality.
Have to agree,I get the vintage games on my dish and they seemed much more memorable before I watch them present day.

One thing hasn't changed though,the coach is expected to win or be fired, and with the team AV has been given in todays watered down NHL I think his strategy is spot on.
BigBert
CC Rookie

Post by BigBert »

SRsez wrote:

really? hey, here's your hat & coat, what's your hurry?

..c'mon back when you can't stay so long...

don't let the door hit your ass on the way out...

e.s.f.o.a.d.a.

see ya!
Disclaimer: This is an internet message board. The messages you read and their authors are to be taken seriously at your own risk. Remember, you don’t have ANY idea who these “people” really are, do you?
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Getting time to fire Vigneault

Post by JCardinal »

SRsez wrote:Because I can't take it anymore.

That was the worst game he's ever coached, and after three losses to the worst team in the league, it cannot be the players fault.

Start the chant: Vigneault's got to go!
This is quite possibly the most moronic post I've ever seen on this site.
The Canucks.com forums are that way ---->>>
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

SRsez wrote:

p.s. WTF happened to the board?

This set-up sucks.
Anyone else want a hanky? Another internet tough guy bites the dust.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

When he say's it's his last let's hope we can believe him
cheers
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

It will be, he's been punted.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Brian CC wrote:It will be, he's been punted.
YAY!

I don't post here all that often, but I stop by to read posts almost daily, and when I do, if he posts anything, its always full of vitriol, and self admiring shit.
I hate Calgary with a passion, there is nobody I enjoy beating more, but Calgary posters like the latest one are welcome as far as I'm concerned as long as he doesn't go all "Calgary" on us.
as Srsez so eloquently put it, "its hockey"
In other words, to me, its ONLY hockey!
It ain't Afghanistan...........
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Yeah it was a bit tiresome ... unfortunate that it turned out that way and he couldn't just put the personal stuff aside and talk hockey ... regardless if there was a difference in opinion etc.

... moving on ... we continue to keep things in good shape and clean around here from that kinda stuff ... kudos guys ...

Grizz