Important Poll for all members.

If it's in here, it's probably a good idea to read it.

Moderators: Brian CC, Referees

Would you be opposed to starting a new board here at Canucks Corner

Yes, I would be opposed to a new board if users and posts were lost.
1
20%
No, I won't mind starting with a fresh board, with more security and better features.
4
80%
 
Total votes : 5

Important Poll for all members.

Postby Brian CC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:12 pm

I am having a little difficulty migrating this board over to the new version of PhpBB.

Because of security issues and better features, I would like to upgrade the site to the new software. There are a few issues with this.

1) There does not appear to be a solid working portal system yet for the new version, meaning that the front page would no longer contain information from the forum.

2) The converter that comes with the new version does not work well with shared hosting. It times out during the import because of restrictions set by the host.

My question is, how would you the members here feel about starting fresh, with a new board and some structural changes to the site?
User avatar
Brian CC
Site Admin
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:34 pm

Postby levelheaded » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:21 pm

No, I wouldn't mind in the slightest, however it won't let me vote for some reason. It just shows the results without giving me the option of voting on one of them.

Is there any way this new board could stop those annoying as hell advertising spammers that show up here from time to time? I don't know if it's done by bots or by actual human beings, but whatever the case it's annoying to see xXX PARIS HILTON JESSICA ALBA XXx on a regular basis.

Anyways, keep up the good work Brian. Any idea as to when the changes (should they occur) will take place?
User avatar
levelheaded
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Toronto, but heart's in Vancouver

Re: Important Poll for all members.

Postby sic puppy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Brian CC wrote: My question is, how would you the members here feel about starting fresh, with a new board and some structural changes to the site?


What does starting fresh mean ?

Re-registering, losing posts, history section ?

For the most part being able to post (express opinions/hagggle/debate) most things Canuck is why I come here. So, starting over wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Losing some of our history....well....that might only hurt for as long as it takes the Nux to win the Cup . :lol:
User avatar
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:37 pm

Postby Linden Is God » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:17 pm

Whatever is best with you Brian.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
User avatar
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Timmins, Ontario

Postby Brian CC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:47 pm

levelheaded wrote:No, I wouldn't mind in the slightest, however it won't let me vote for some reason. It just shows the results without giving me the option of voting on one of them.

Is there any way this new board could stop those annoying as hell advertising spammers that show up here from time to time? I don't know if it's done by bots or by actual human beings, but whatever the case it's annoying to see xXX PARIS HILTON JESSICA ALBA XXx on a regular basis.

Anyways, keep up the good work Brian. Any idea as to when the changes (should they occur) will take place?


That spamming has stopped since I changed registration to be approved by myself before posting is allowed.

I think this board as acquired a few bugs over the years, another reason I want to move to a fresh board.

If the majority feel this should be the route we go, I will launch a new board soon.

I will keep the old one online for a period of time in case there are old posts people want to refer to, but it will eventually be phased out.

I will warn everyone of the impending changes.
User avatar
Brian CC
Site Admin
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:34 pm

Re: Important Poll for all members.

Postby Brian CC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:50 pm

sic puppy wrote:
Brian CC wrote: My question is, how would you the members here feel about starting fresh, with a new board and some structural changes to the site?


What does starting fresh mean ?

Re-registering, losing posts, history section ?

For the most part being able to post (express opinions/hagggle/debate) most things Canuck is why I come here. So, starting over wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Losing some of our history....well....that might only hurt for as long as it takes the Nux to win the Cup . :lol:


Starting fresh means the front page will be different (no more posts from the message board until a solid portal mod is released).

It means you will have to re-register, and your post count will go to zero.
User avatar
Brian CC
Site Admin
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:34 pm

Postby Badfish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:48 pm

I've got no problem with it, but I also can't vote. I just see the results of a 1 person vote :|
User avatar
Badfish
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:50 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Postby Cookie La Rue » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:10 am

Won't mind either. The main thing is that you feel comfortable with your site because you have the work with it. ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013
User avatar
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 1791
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: 50° 10' North / 8° 34' East

Postby Bret H » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:58 am

Won't mind either. The main thing is that you feel comfortable with your site because you have the work with it.


Agreed! :D
Bret H
MVP
MVP
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:06 am
Location: Sweden

Postby Jovorock » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:44 am

No Brian I don't mind starting over again like we did in August 04. What ever you think is best and easiest for you is what I think.

I don't mind helping you watch the board, but I can't help you do the things behind the scene, I wish I could help you do these programing softwear stuff but I don't know about that stuff.

Thanks Brian for allowing us on this site, what ever you think is what I think!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
User avatar
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Kelowna

Postby sic puppy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:28 pm

WOW !!

New Look certainly is bright . :shock:

But, looks good, Brian.
User avatar
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:37 pm

Postby Jyrki21 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:12 am

We had to do this on Offthepost.net, including an actual change of URL which was worrisome (but luckily the old admin left a redirect in place such that people are still getting sent there automatically, for now).

People had to re-register, but it was largely seamless -- just try to get an announcement on the front page explaining what has happened and that people shouldn't be fazed by a need to re-register.
Image
User avatar
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON


Return to Site Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest