GDT 1/17/2008 Canucks @ RedWings 430pm TV SN Radio 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

did anyone else feel it was unfair of detroit to put out datsyuk, zetterberg and hudler in the shootout? i mean, come on, who do we have? edler, linden and pyatt? i don't know, i think babcock might have given us a sporting chance and stuck chelios out there at least.

but in all seriousness, i know they aren't great skaters, but why don't the sedins ever take a shootout? some play by play guy said that AV's got to make them take responsibility for the offense, and they have to be out there.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

We were lucky to come out of Detroit with a point.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Kowch wrote:We were lucky to come out of Detroit with a point.
Luongo doesn't mean Lucky in Italian... ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

yet another valiant effort against the Wings. why cant we show up like that against all teams. man we could be at the top of the league with them...
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

Thrilling game.

I was supposed to be elsewhere but I couldn't tear myself away.

Great game to watch.

The Canucks played the best team in the league to a tie.

Detroit got an extra point out of it on the shootout but, despite that, it was a great game.

My TV kept blanking out. Was that happening to anyone else?
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Can only go by the highlights I watched this morning, but Daniel Cleary, WTF?! Looked like he had a monster game.

Glad to see Alex Edler try a slapper on the shootout, even if it was his first unsuccessful try (Edler and Linden both miss... d'Oh!). Although I'd rather he fake the slapper and then make his move right after. And as mentioned many times, I'd like to see Sami Salo tried on the shootout for similar reasons.

These are the games where Luongo thrives -- where he sees a lot of rubber, but the shot totals are still a little overstated (from what I've read) since many of them are coming from the outside. It keeps him sharp, and keeps him in the game for the better chances.

I understand that the Wings announced Näslund's 1,000th game and put some graphics up on the scoreboard. See, the older franchises know how to be classy hosts, unlike certain other franchise-come-latelys which refuse even to show opposition goals on replay. ;)
whistler
CC Veteran

Post by whistler »

It's true that a lot of the shots were from the outside but many of them were quality shots none the less.

Detroit gets those shots off quick. The secret to their success I suppose.

Luongo was both very sharp on the initial shot and scrambled well when he had to. He had to move a lot in that game and was getting bumped a lot in his crease.

The skaters did a good job of denying the Wings quality chances on the rebounds and Lui somehow made the stop when the Wings did get a chance.

Too bad you missed that game. It was highlight reel stuff for most of the match.

Good hockey. :mrgreen:
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

whistler wrote:Too bad you missed that game. It was highlight reel stuff for most of the match.
I always lament when a game in this time zone isn't on any channel I can watch.

Plus, I was taking the girlfriend out for a belated birthday celebration, so it may not have been the best course of action anyway. ;)
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Good effort to come back from 2-0 against the Wings. Nux certainly had more chances to score (noteably the Kesler attempt in the third with Burrows waiting for a goal mouth pass that never came) but so did the Wings who were unlucky not to pot at least 2 or 3 more.

Interesting to see the 2 distinct styles of play.
whistler wrote: My TV kept blanking out. Was that happening to anyone else?
Mine too, probably the feed.
whistler wrote: It's true that a lot of the shots were from the outside but many of them were quality shots none the less.

Detroit gets those shots off quick. The secret to their success I suppose.
Coupled with the fact that when these shots are taken they have 1 or 2 guys bustin' for the net. Many scrums in front of Luongo last night & the Nux were fortunate to clear some of the rebounds.

Again a good effort. With Ohlund back in the mix & possibly the Nux 2nd line center (MO) come playoffs, if the team plays like last night, who knows ?
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

from the middle of the second period, the Canucks were the better team...before that they really sucked.......something like 20 minutes without a shot?????/ :shock:
It was a very exciting game, and the team deserves credit for coming back after being down 2-0. Somebody else posted that we were lucky to get out of Detroit with a point. i disagree. they really picked up their game and deserved that point.