Was that Srsez who phoned Pratt ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Fred wrote:I think Pratt entertains
So you're entertained by stupidity? Hey, don't get me wrong, "Jackass" was funny, but I wouldn't care to watch it every night. Matter of fact, once was enough, twice if you count Jackass #2.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Joe Rockhead wrote: John Shorthouse is the worst play-by-play guy this cities ever had.
The rest of your post I can mostly agree with, but Shorthouse the worst ever? C'mon, he's not that bad! I think shortie's pretty good imo, much better then any of the TV guys thats for freakin sure.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

I meant this city Badfish. For sure not the rest of the league! Some of those guys in the states are so rediculous its rediculous.When compared to Robson or Hughson he's not even remotley close. Why? Got the great voice, very knowledgeable about the game, But he spends way too much time talking about junior years or shots on goal or the coach or whatever while the play is going on. If he called the play while the play was going on and left the trivia and game stats for the intermission or stoppages in play he could be one of the best.

Next time you listen try to focus on the times you can hear the play going on but John is talking about something else.

Whoever mentioned Moj is right . He's is probably the best in Van on the radio.
Don Cherry for P.M.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Joe Rockhead wrote:John Shorthouse is the worst play-by-play guy this cities ever had.
Hmm, he's not as good as H.O.F.'er Robson, or future H.O.F.'er Hughson. Geez, he's terrible, but still one of the best in the country.

Rather listen to him than Gene Principe.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

SRsez wrote:
So you're entertained by stupidity? Hey, don't get me wrong, "Jackass" was funny, but I wouldn't care to watch it every night. Matter of fact, once was enough, twice if you count Jackass #2.
You know what, you're a very angry man, you should get some help. Calling people names generally say more about the person doing the calling. Take it easy sun shine
cheers
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Fred wrote:
SRsez wrote:
You know what, you're a very angry man, you should get some help. Calling people names generally say more about the person doing the calling. Take it easy sun shine
Huh? I wasn't calling you any names there, Freddy-Boy. Maybe you should read my post again.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

HappyCanuck wrote:PS please don't compare Big Fatty to Rome. That is like comparing Dana Murzyn to Mario Lemieux. :lol: One big thing here : Rome is cool.........Pratt is a geek. Rome's show is funny and wide ranging.........Pratt's is weak and very limited.

That is one of the most embarrassing things anyone has ever written on these pages. Rome is a stuttering idiot and anyone who listens to him and thinks he's cool has obviously hit himself between the eyes with a rubber hammer.
Please for goodness sakes think about what you are writing before you espouse such tripe, you are an embarrassing ass. You sound like an east vancouver crack head who sells his wife for hockey tickets. Didn't like that did you? I don't like your piss poor attempts at humour using Whalley either, shit for brains.
Wow another man bitter that he resides in the armpit of the world - Whalley. Why don't you pack up the pinto, the utility trailer and forward your last month's rent to your trailer park manager and move to a Utopia( for you anyways) like Matsqui.That way you might get more than one parking spot and a bigger trailer. Your bitterness about Whalley is kind of cute really. A man sticking up for his town. Awwwww shucks. :lol: i could care less that you don't quite get Rome's humor or wit , but you seem like an angry little man about your lot in life. . I guess having to shave your wife's back can get a little tiresome and having the pitbulls constantly knocking the rabbit ears off the b/w set could piss a guy off too. As Ari Gold would say.........you wanna hug it out b*tch ? :lol:
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I don't know, I like Shortie. I honestly haven't noticed him talking over the game too often, but I'll try to look for it next time. Still, he can keep up with the play, giving very detailed play-by-play, and always gives me the feeling of seeing it for myself. Plus he was on Sports Page! c'mon! :D

You want to know who should stop spouting useless trivia and jabbering on during the play it's Hughson and Garrett. I like them, but that always drives me nuts. Ask my girlfriend, I'm often yelling "Talk about the freakin' game!" at the TV. sure it's TV so they've got some leeway, but still. Between the two, I'd listen to the radio over the TV guys any day, even on sportsnet. If only they had the audio sync up...

Also is it just me or do those two (Hughson and Garrett) seem to have a quiet hate on for each other? It sometimes sounds like an old couple trying not to argue in front of the kids: strained. Could be just my over-active imagination though :roll:

P.S. I've never liked Rome, but found that he grows on you over time, somewhat like a foot fungus. make of that what you will.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

I can often be heard screaming at the radio in my car " CALL THE F!@CKING PLAY!! " at Shorty ond Tom. The T.V guys don't bug me too much cause I can see for myself whats going on . Sometimes their coffee counter chat gets annoying but not as much as Shorty and Tom's.

Badfish I'd appericiate it if you would check out the radio broadcast and let me know back here if you agree or if I'm out in left field. ( It wouldn't be the first time)
Don Cherry for P.M.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Where to start? There are a lot of little items rolling around in this thread. Hmm...

1) Rome is an acquired taste. It took me a while but I've come to enjoy his style and the broad range of topics/sports covered on his show. He gets some of the best guests around and some of his interviews are pure gold.

2) Pratt is no better/worse than 1/2 the sports broadcasters on our airwaves. His ranting has just gotten tired and boring IMO.

3) Taylor is a local broadcasting legend and I still find him entertaining on Sportsnet Connected but he bugs me as Pratt's side kick. I can't listen to him on one topic for more than 5 minutes without turning the station.

4) Shorty isn't Robson and he isn't Hughson but not many are. We've been really spoiled by those two over the years. If you IMHO if you listen to coverage from around the league you quickly appreciate what Shorty brings to the table.

5) Garrett and Hughson must have something going. Garrett reminds me of that annoying uncle who thinks the banter you've got going on with him is just funny where as Hughson is just annoyed and a bit embarrassed.

Well that's my two cents or "rant" if you will ;)
R.I.P. Luc.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This has gotten way off track a little here. Partially my fault i guess for busting SR 's chops a little , but I know he can take it. For whatever reason Happy Canuck turned bitter at me, but I can take his cap- gun effort. :lol: Originally I meant to make fun of the meat puppet that phoned in and wanted a game at BC Place. Of all of the idiotic things to think of.

The reality is that we won't ever get an outdoor game in Vancouver because of the climate, and the NHL does not need to pander to Canadian fans even if we had a suitable venue. They already have us hook, line and sinker. Just because we proably could sell out the dome, doesn't mean it's a good idea. I think it was either Burke or Nonis who may have even floated this air baloon a few years back. I sure hope it was a sarcastic joke and that they weren't remotely serious. So not all blame can be placed on the idiotic callers who are clamoring for this to happen, but this needs to be nipped in the bud.

I guess they could kick up some fake snow. Get a few deer to trot around the concourse, and even though everyone would be sweating like a cubscout at the Neverland Ranch- they could all wear touques. Pour some hot cocoa for everyone to drink and there you have it- our own Heritage Classic. :lol:
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Jim Hughson is good, but Shorty is still the voice of the Canucks to me and whenever possible I turn him and Tommy on and mute Hughson. I happen to enjoy listening to biased commentators when it's my team I'm watching on a local station. I just like to know that the commentators want to see the team win as much as the fans.

Hughson is a great commentator, and an obvious fan of the Canucks, but the truth is he reminds me too much of a robot. I still think he'd make a far better colour guy than play by play. He know a ton about the game and he always has something unique to say, but I hate listening to him call the action. Half the time you know EXACTLY what he's going to say in any given situation ("Naslund through the neutral zone WITH SPEED" "GRRREAT SAVE LUONGO" etc.) He's become a victim of his own catchphrases in much the same way that Taylor has. Don't get me wrong, I love listening to both of them, but Tommy and Shorty still are, and forever will be, my favourites.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Joe Rockhead wrote:Taylor got his vasectomy the night Bertuzzi bitch slapped Steve Moore. I dont think he's worn a pair of pants since.

Pratt is a complete waste of time.

Galleger should be taken the way of Old Yeller. A Stan Fischler wanna be.

Watching Rome almost shit his pants when that football player ( Jim Everrt? ) tossed him like alittle girl was all I needed to know about him.

Dan Russell turned into a whiny little girl when the Canucks by passed him for Jim Hughson for the play- by play jobg on NW. Atleast thaT was funny.

John Shorthouse is the worst play-by-play guy this cities ever had.

Dan Murphy is the only media guy in Vancouver I can stand.
I wholeheartly agree with almost all of your post. In defence of Shorthouse, he's alot better play by play announcer than Russell, who wanted the job. Dan Russell on his best day of play by play is still worse than if Bob Cole tried to call an Olympic game between Austria and Belarus.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Well I don't really need to add any comments to this thread ... just enjoying the entertaining and friendly (?) bantering back and forth ...

... for the record though ... I like Taylor and his humour ... Shorty is ok except he sounds like he always has a cold or something stuck in his throat ... Robson is a legend ... Tommy is entertaining - love his "excited" laugh ... Hughson is pretty good and calls a pretty consistent game ... Pratt ... although likely very knowledgable is for the most part arrogant and negative which after a few minutes irritates me and turns me off - comes across more as a wannabe that has it out for everyone cause he made the mistake of turning off at Timmy's instead of the rink.

How about Cuthbert ? Don't know anyone who hits the high notes as he does ... !

Grizz
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

[quote="Badfish"]I don't know, I like Shortie. I honestly haven't noticed him talking over the game too often, but I'll try to look for it next time. Still, he can keep up with the play, giving very detailed play-by-play, and always gives me the feeling of seeing it for myself. Plus he was on Sports Page! c'mon! :D

I used to love the Page back in the 80's and early 90's. They had some good sportcasters go through there...............hebb, Carson, Macdonald, Randorf, Shorthouse....even Taylor was tolerable back in those days. Then all those guys left and clowsn like Price, Foxman, and i think even the Sherminator worked there briefly. Those guys couldn't hold a candle to the older guys who preceded them .