11/23/07 Vancouver at St. Louis, 5:30 p.m. PST, SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

11/23/07 Vancouver at St. Louis, 5:30 p.m. PST, SNET

Post by Jyrki21 »

(11-8-2)

@

(11-8-0)

Friday, November 23, 2007
7:30 p.m. CST
5:30 p.m. PST

Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO

---

Did anyone actually notice that it was now called the "Scottrade" Center? I was still getting used to "Savvis" from "Kiel." Can't they pick a sponsor and stick with it?

Storylines:

- the Canucks are coming off a hard-fought, "character" win in Minnesota. On minimal rest, they overcame an extremely hostile atmosphere to shut up Derek Boogaard and the Wild, for now. Just as they may have "looked past" Edmonton to that game, there's always a risk of "looking back" at it when it's done. There may be a little bit of a hangover, plus fatigue may now catch up with Vancouver after adrenaline got them through the game in St. Paul. Look for a slower start by the Canucks, accordingly.

- St. Louis' last effort was also on Wednesday, falling 3-0 at home to Detroit. Prior to that game, they had been on a four-game winning streak.

- Probable goaltending matchup: Roberto Luongo vs. brief Canuck property Manny Legace.

- Who's Hot: Markus Näslund notched a hat trick against the Wild, and has been racking up points playing alongside Henrik and Daniel Sedin. Brad Boyes leads the Bruins -- I mean, Blues -- with 12 goals this season, and had been on a three-game goal-scoring streak until the shutout at the hands of the Red Wings. Paul Kariya's strong start to the season makes him the Blues' scoring leader, at 20 pts.

- Last season the four-game series between these two teams had the Curtis Sanford angle to them. The Canucks actually went 3-1, but Jason Bacashihua tended goal for the Blues in the only regulation win, meaning that Curtis Sanford, to my knowledge, has still never lost a regulation game in which the Vancouver Canucks played. (In a moment of accidental foreshadowing, one of the Canucks.com game summaries from last season refers to Sanford as Vancouver's backup rather than St. Louis's). Ironically, he'll be sitting tonight against his former team in all likelihood.

- Fun fact: the Blues are undefeated when leading after one period. The Canucks are .143 when trailing after one period. Moral of the story? Show up for the first 20 minutes, boys.
Last edited by Jyrki21 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 11/23/07 Vancouver at St. Louis, 5:30 p.m. PST, SNET

Post by mattola »

Jyrki21 wrote: The Canucks are .143 when trailing after one period. Moral of the story? Show up for the first 20 minutes, boys.

that has to be one of the most dismal stats I have ever seen lol

go canucks go
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

The Blues haven't looked as good as they do in a while. Kariya and Boyes are turning into quite the duo. In fact, the only dud they have on offence is Dead Weight Doug Weight.

We need a strong effort as they've really come together as a team this year, and Legace is playing some of the best hockey of his career.

I'm still smarting from going 0-4-0 against them 2 years ago. I say 3-1 Vancouver, Cooke, Morrison and Daniel will be our goalscorers.

GO CANUCKS GO
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

levelheaded wrote:I'm still smarting from going 0-4-0 against them 2 years ago.
[Calm voice]It's OK, he's with us now. Sanford is with us.[/calm voice]

I don't see the Canucks taking this one, for reasons I mentioned in the first and last blurbs under my 'storylines' heading. This is a hangover game with the makings of a slow start. And slow starts seem to mean money in the bank for St. Louis this year.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

One of our regulars on Offthepost.net is reporting that Sami Salo is back in for this game! :D

But that Lukas Krajicek is back out. :(

He was probably rushed back due to the Öhlund suspension, so I hope this is precautionary rather than a reaggravation, but you'd never know it from how well he was playing.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Nice GDT Jyrki. I am not too surprised that our come-back stat after falling behind in the first is .143. After listening to AV's comments on how hard it is to come back in this league I am almost surprised that we are doing that well.... (Forgive the acerbity)

As for tonight, I am going to hope that Naslund's streak continues along with a goal from Pyatt and Edler for a 3-2 win. Too bad to hear the Krajicek is back out.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
UpYerKilt
24 Hours Reporter

Post by UpYerKilt »

Krajicek will be missed...he has serious wheels.

The tavel is a bitch and everyone is giving them a pass on this one...I say the Blues are the team that cost the Canucks the post season 2 years ago...the Blues beat them 4 times. And that was when they were a horrible team. I hope that Naslund, Morrison, Ohlund and a few others remember what a bitch this teams been to them in the past and give them a game.

Canucks 5
Blues 3
Vancouver 24 Hours reporter
Spill Your Guts - Every Wednesday
email me with your Canuck thoughts and we'll put them in the Wed paper. guts.mctavish@24hrs.ca
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I hate the Blues. They're one of my most hated teams. My friend is a Blows fan and is very cocky. I would love to rub this in his face.

If anyone has a free online feed for this, please post it.

GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
tey
CC Veteran

Post by tey »

I get to sit and watch in peace, the little lady is off werkin and the kid is away, just me, some beers and the game!
showtyme21
CC Rookie

Post by showtyme21 »

1-0....canucks aren't looking good thus far....
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
showtyme21
CC Rookie

Post by showtyme21 »

am I the only one here?? 21-10 shots so far... definitely something off for the team tonite...
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I'm here too... Toivenen has been awesome, why do the Canucks repeatedly make very average goaltenders look all world?

Not much chance we're winning this one.
showtyme21
CC Rookie

Post by showtyme21 »

sorry, had to add this in here.... BISONS WIN, BISONS WIN!!!

Ok, now looks like the boys have improved here in the 3rd. C'mon guys... 2 goals in 5 minutes isn't hard when you've got the rejuvenated Naslund, and the Twins.... GO, GO, GO!!
UpYerKilt
24 Hours Reporter

Post by UpYerKilt »

The Canucks look tired as hell.

Luongo having a nice third period.

The Sedin line is shut out but I like their effort...lots of scoring chances.

Guts
email me with your Canuck thoughts and we'll put them in the Wed paper. guts.mctavish@24hrs.ca
UpYerKilt
24 Hours Reporter

Post by UpYerKilt »

Nice to see the Canucks at least go down swinging...

Give #16 the night off vs Chicago... He was chasing agian tonight.

That sure wasn't the same Doug Weight that use to kill the Canucks year after year.

Guts