GDT: Vancouver at Calgary 7:00pm CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Brian CC
Site Admin

GDT: Vancouver at Calgary 7:00pm CBC

Post by Brian CC »

Can the Canucks finds some scoring? Both teams lost their home openers, who can rebound?
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Game's been over an hour and I'm the first reply? Slow night, I guess everyone's out.

A few thoughts:

Good 2nd period by the Canucks, Ohlund was particularly noticeable during the second frame and was easily our best player. Krajicek looked great for the first forty minutes, but seemed to disappear in the 3rd, Bieksa on the other hand looked like a shaky mess until the final period in which he was merely average. He needs to pick it up to justify his huge contract.

Weaver wasn't visible at all during the game, but he wasn't distinctly bad. He made one nice pass to move the puck out of the zone and that's about it.

I didn't get to listen to any pre-game, why wasn't Raymond playing? I can understand Linden not being in the lineup, but dumping #21 after one game seems a bit harsh to me.

Anyways, nice to get the win, although it shouldn't have needed overtime. Nice to see that Ohlund has really picked up his play with Mitchell and Bieksa still mentally on vacation. Naslund wasn't great (despite scoring a goal), but his intensity was there tonight which was great to see.

Overall a decent effort.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

A very slow night around here...I hope thats all it is!

I thought it was a solid effoert. The team settled down after the early Flames goal then used power plays to dominate the second. I would like to see them avoid sitting back too much as they did in the third, but they didn't get down after the Flames tied it.

Luongo was solid, as was Kiprusoff. Overall a good game to watch with some decent flow to the play.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Any win over the Phlegms is a great game. I would rather it had not gone into OT but my wife and I were at the John B where they do a draw in which if the Canucks player you draw scores you get a free round. We drew Daniel Sedin. So the Canucks win and we got a free round, a double win for us. Other than that, levelheaded is right with the assessment of the game and the players. The Raymond substitution wasn't unexpected since he didn't look so good against the Sharts. I would have benched Pyatt over Linden, however. Linden would have had fire breathing out of his nostrils at the prospect of playing against a Keenan coached team. Pyatt has yet to get his butt into gear. Keenan is still scum. I'll never forget his lies about Grant Ledyard, there's no reason for a coach to stoop that low. I hope his team continues to take penalties and get torched on the PK.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Meh I thought it was a poor effort and that we were lucky to be playing the Flames. Any other team might have kicked our ass. I'm waiting for someone on our team to respond to the cheap shit that our goalie and our captain are taking. Why is Phaneuf allowed to cheapshot Naslund? Why are teams running our goalie and no one standing up. All in all a weak effort that requires a little ass kicking byAV.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

GREAT SAVE LUONGO!... That beauty on the 2on1 with Iguana was a.w.e.s.o.m.e. (even better when you have a bunch of flames fans in your house to watch it happen). Throw out the first and third periods, and we looked awesome tonight! Naslund was flying... great effort all night, both on his end-to-end rush that resulted in the goal (granted, a softie for Kipper), and the shift he had coming out of the penalty box in overtime was possessed. The the second effort on the wining play draw to get the puck over to Ohlund... I'd be ecstatic if he contiuned to play this way.

How 'bout that PP?

The Raymond situation irks me for a few reasons. 1) I wanted to see him play, dangit! I NEED these guys to play in these nationally telivised games! 2) what's the deal? AV admits in the press anyway that he figured it was just nerves, and then sits him the next night? He needs a chance to play, no? What gives?

Isbister was indeed the Invisibister. He's a big dude, and Phaneuf was pushing him around like nothing. Enjoy Winnipeg, dude. Hope you get there soon. At this point, I'd rather have Raymond in there then him... it's not as though he brings the intangible "wealth of experience" thing - just cause you're a veteran doesn't mean you've learned anything.

I had to check my underpants when Luongo went down, but thankfully, he's either made of gumby material, or incredibly durable (reeeeally nice after dealing with the glass-like Cloutier) cause that reply did NOT look friendly to the knees.

Burrows made me angry. Love him on the PK, but oi. My grandma has better offensive instinct. When he had the breakaway in OT, as soon as I realized it was him, I was convinced we wouldn't score.

Bieksa did look lost for a large portion of the game, but Miller has been great.

Last thought... I'm all for defensive hockey, but wow did we come out cautious in the third. Is this really a better tactic then keeping our foot on the gas and trying to bury teams rather than go into a shell? I'm not convinced, and it seems that much harder to then turn it back on if/when the other team does tie it up.

Regardless, it's a win, we're on the board, and bring on Philly! Time to track down division-leading Edmonton (!?!?) :)
magnum44
CC Veteran

Post by magnum44 »

Enough shown tonight to be encouraged, but the team is still in pre season form. Special teams have looked good so far, especially PK. Still think we are too thin up front. Gonna need our vets to all have contract years and stay healthy. A genuine top six winger to go with the twins would be just what the doctor ordered.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Beautiful kick straight to the balls of all those Flames losers from the "sisters".

I can almost forgive Keenan for '94, which wasn't really his fault anyway.. Because of him, we have Henrik & Luongo, and now he's going to screw up the Flames? This guy just keeps on giving. He might have to go in the Canuck's H.O.F. by the time he's done.

Only downer was it was 4 seconds left in OT, not regulation, so those hicks from Cowtown still manage a point.

Nothing bettter than beating the Flamers though.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

SRsez wrote:Nothing bettter than beating the Flamers though.
That's all about hockey, i found it very amusing too. 8-)

Indeed ther's a little sand in the machine but the Flames are a very difficult team to beat, so as we are. No schmanzy fancy but solid.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

Good result for a division game given a back to back following a home opener loss.

Nux are showing some post training camp rust as the starting line-up is finally getting an opportunity to play together.
why wasn't Raymond playing? I can understand Linden not being in the lineup, but dumping #21 after one game seems a bit harsh to me
Linden gets a rest because of age and to get everyone involved in the first two games. Cowan & Isbister have 20 & 40 pounds on Raymond and they're playing a tough Calgary game at home.
Why are teams running our goalie and no one standing up
If this is in reference to Luongo going down in a heap when a Flame fell on his leg, he was cross checked into Luongo by Miller. Having said that, this war will heat up soon enough and before long this rivalry will have some fire works.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

smalien wrote:
why wasn't Raymond playing? I can understand Linden not being in the lineup, but dumping #21 after one game seems a bit harsh to me
Linden gets a rest because of age and to get everyone involved in the first two games. Cowan & Isbister have 20 & 40 pounds on Raymond and they're playing a tough Calgary game at home.
I'm just not sure it was the right move taking Raymond out of the lineup after one game. It doesn't exactly instill confidence in him, especially considering the game he missed was against his home town team. I like AV's way of giving those who deserve playing time extra minutes, but chemistry can take time to manifest itself. I wasn't a fan of the Sedins and Raymond in the first place, but for god's sake don't give up on it after one game. It can only hurt the team in the long run.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

i thought the canucks gave a better effort against the flames. and it was great to see the PP actually doing something positive for the team. anyone else notice Naslund's wrist shot goal?? yeah it barely went in, but thats the kind of play we need from our captain... quick wrist shots to the net, kipper might have been a bit off guard there... good enough for me. im not sure if taking raymond out after one game was the right choice either... we'll have to see if it works out, but hopefully we see him in the line up again real soon

GO CANUCKS GO!!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

levelheaded wrote: I'm just not sure it was the right move taking Raymond out of the lineup after one game. It doesn't exactly instill confidence in him, especially considering the game he missed was against his home town team.
While I would agree that Raymond may have had some motivation to play in his home province, AV had the luxury of having two healthy bodies that needed some playing time.
levelheaded wrote: I wasn't a fan of the Sedins and Raymond in the first place, but for god's sake don't give up on it after one game. It can only hurt the team in the long run.
IMO, AV isn't/wasn't giving up on the Twins/Raymond experiment. No doubt this was an important divisional game in a rink where the Flames were particularly tough and successful, last year.

Isbister and Cowan's size had much more influence in the decision as to who played than Raymond's previous first NHL game performance.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

i agree with what smalien is saying here. perhaps the divisional games arent the best time to be experimenting with our young guys... go with what works i guess.
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

here's a good read from the flames perspective:Luongo, Kipper as good as it gets

my favorite part:
"Oh, is Roberto starting tonight?'' Keenan replied at Saturday's morning skate, with feigned exaggerated innocence.

He waited for the laughter to die down.

"I can't believe I just said that.''

The next pause was worthy of Jack Benny.

"Well, they love me in Vancouver.''