NY Rangers fights the NHL

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

NY Rangers fights the NHL

Post by Soapy »

Broadway Blues ... filed an interesting lawsuit last week against the NHL. The team (which is owned by Madison Square Garden which is owned by Cablevision) alleges that the league has become an “illegal cartelâ€￾ in its efforts to control licensing efforts, advertising, broadcasting and the team’s Web site.

Says the lawsuit, filed in federal court in Manhattan: “[The NHL] has inappropriately and illiegally claimed and usurped more and more control over what have been and should be independent competitive activities of the individual clubs. The Rangers said they filed the lawsuit after the league threatened to impose a $100,000-a-day fine unless it transferred virtually complete control of the Rangers’s Web site. The NHL had no comment on the lawsuit.

My question is......why would the biggest & most profitable team (US) take on the commish?? Right in his own back yard.
My first guess would be that the NHL has done nothing to grow the game so the Rangers & their marketing machine feel that they would do a better job running the website & selling the merchandise.
But when dealing with New York lawyers......there has to be something bubbling under the surface......some thing to do with the powers that control the NHL....& didn't Bassillie also use the 'CARTEL" word as well.....some thing stinks......
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

For once I agree with the Rangers...

The NHL is turning all the teams into generic 'units' for marketing purposes. I think that each team SHOULD be able to have complete control over some or most aspects of their operation - including websites.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."