Canucks add Weaver to blue line

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Canucks add Weaver to blue line

Post by Soapy »

Sportsnet:
Mike Weaver played 39 games for the Kings last season, scoring three goals and adding nine assists. (Getty)The Vancouver Canucks have claimed defenceman Mike Weaver off of waivers from the Los Angeles Kings.

Weaver, 29, joins the Canucks from the Los Angeles Kings where he played 39 games, scoring nine points (3-6-9) with 16 penalty minutes in the 2006-07 season. Weaver played an additional seven games with the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL recording four points (1-3-4) and two penalty minutes that season. Over a five-year NHL career, Weaver has played a total of 149 games and recorded 24 points (3-21-24) and 60 penalty minutes.

The 5’9"", 182 lbs. native of Bramalea, Ontario originally signed with the Atlanta Thrashers as a free agent on June 15, 2000.

What the hell is this about? A 5'9" d-man? He must be to shore up the Moose.
Does this make sense to anyone else? Please enlighten me.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I would also have to assume he's heading to Manitoba, but could be used in an injury fill-in situation as he has some NHL experience.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

But then they send Nathan McIver down?? A big rugged d-man for a midget d-man?? I thought we already had Coloumbe (sp?)
Any good info on Weaver? is he at least an offensive threat? His stats say NO!
-- Winston Churchill
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Colour me baffled. :?

We pass on a tested masher like McGillis then pick up this . . . this . . . homunculus?

Something just doesn't compute here. My only guess is that Nonis has gone on an extended bender. Tambellini should take away Dave's cell phone until he sobers up.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

My only guess is that Salo is done for a long time. McGillis and McIver aren't offensive threats, where as Weaver is (according to his TSN scouting report), he's a right handed shot, I assume he'll be given a few call ups to see if he will work on the PP.

I get the feeling we'll miss the Finnish MacInnins over the next few months :(
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Weaver isn't terrible - he's a farmhand call-up for sure, but he'll be serviceable for the time being.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

But seeing as Weaver was claimed off of waivers, doesn't that mean if he's sent to the Moose he would have to clear waivers first?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

He isn't really big either which would concern me with some of the bigger forwards we have to play against in our conference ... likely as noted he will be a fill in ...

Grizz
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

During TSN's season preview, I thought I heard someone say somebody has a foot injury. I missed the name and they had Weaver listed as the 7th D.

Well let's try to put a positive spin on this. Nonis has fleeced the Kings with a waiver pick up before (Cowan), maybe Weaver will be a find similar to that.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I would assume McGillis didn't work out so they're still looking for a diamond in the rough to shore up our already injured D corps. Maybe McGillis just didn't have the speed for the new game and this was the next best guy out there our pro-scouts had on the list? *fingers crossed*
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

My understanding is that Weaver was claimed on waivers from Pittsburgh (not LA), where he was signed as a UFA on a 2-way contract.

He is supposedly tough, and has some offensive instincts, despite being rather small.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Ferraro said today on the radio that Weaver plays big. He's a good skater & likes to hit.
I guess with Jack Johnson making the team in LA, he was exposed.

Shoots: Right
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 182
Birth Date: 1978-05-02
Birth Country: Canada
Year Drafted: 2000
Round Drafted: 0
Overall Choice: 0
07/08 Compensation: $600,000.00
-- Winston Churchill
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Yes, but at 5'9 and 180 lbs, how tough can you really be.

First off, if he says he is 5'9 we all know he is 5'8 off of skates. Secondly, imagine this - Todd Bertuzzi of the Ducks is skating towards the Canucks defensive zone and Weaver come in to check Bertuzzi - all 6'4 240 lbs of him. What's going to happen?

I have gone on record supporting fast, smaller offensive players in the new NHL, but smalal defensemen? I dunno.....

Maybe I'm not making sense as I've been taking medication all day but I can't see this as more than a stopgap.....

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

This doesn't excite me at all, I'd have rather kept McGillis as a 7th dman or a guy who can mentor McIver on the farm. If he isn't good enough to crack LA's sadsack lineup why is he able to make ours? Rather have made a deal w/ Dallas to bring Baumgartner back as our 7th guy, if we were looking for a guy who can play offensively he'd be a much better call. Weaver's career jr & ahl stats don't indicate there's much there at all except a decent +/- at times. Injuries are going to occur. Personally though McGillis would have been a solid no.7 who can punish anyone who thinks of looking at Bobby Lou. Weaver is not that guy imo.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

DavidPratt_ wrote:Yes, but at 5'9 and 180 lbs, how tough can you really be.
Unless he's great in the shower, what can he add?