John McCaw is next to testify

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

VancouverBall
AHL Prospect

John McCaw is next to testify

Post by VancouverBall »

So I understand John McCaw will be taking the stand in the Aquilini lawsuit case. This should be entertaining. McCaw doesn't talk much but he'll be talking now won't he?

What happens if Aquilini loses the case? Does he lose control of the team and GM Place?
Naslund Is King
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Naslund Is King »

For the good of the Canucks I hope Aqualini loses.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Naslund Is King wrote:For the good of the Canucks I hope Aqualini loses.
Please explain!

Not because I don't agree, just because I'm really fairly naive when it comes to this whole trial, why do you view Aqualini as the bad guy? If he loses, won't that be a huge disruption to the team?

Some one more learn-ed in these matters please help! :)
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Naslund Is King wrote:For the good of the Canucks I hope Aqualini loses.
I have had business dealings over the years with the parties to all sides of this dispute, and for the life of me I can't fathom the above sentiment.

Francesco Aquilini has let DN spend to the cap and has given him a bigger budget than McCaw ever gave Burke. From a fan's perspective, that's a great thing.

Gaglardi, on the other hand, has a business reputation of being, first and foremost, a cost-cutter. He's good at grinding for every cent he can in business contracts and prides himself on leaving nothing on the table for the other guy. I've seen him drop quality suppliers, good advisors and good people from his organization because they would not accept lower-than-maket fees and salaries. Now, that's not a bad way for a businessman to run things - in fact it can be pretty profitable in the short term. But if you apply that business model to the Canucks, do you think it will be good for the fans?

Heck, from the trial transcripts we already know that Gaglardi strongly objected to the size of the contract Burke gave Crow. Would you, as a fan, really be happy with an owner that meddles with his GM's hiring of a coach over salary issues?

Hey, I used to live in Toronto when Ballard owned the leaves. It wasn't pretty.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

For the good of the Canucks I hope Aqualini loses.
Heck anytime you have an owner that lets good people do thier jobs without micro-managing, thats a good thing. When you have a guy (owner) that lets a team spend more, do more, and is concentrating in getting the right people into the right places, why would you hope we get rid of him?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Interesting perspective, Meer. I'm sure you have been asked this before but have you or did you deal with Stan "The Toady" McCammon? I hear he was a real sweetheart.

Here's a link to the Invisible Man's day in court:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... ad&k=60908
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

mr perfect wrote:Interesting perspective, Meer. I'm sure you have been asked this before but have you or did you deal with Stan "The Toady" McCammon? I hear he was a real sweetheart.

Yeah, he was always around, sorta like background radiation, whenever I dealt with Orca Bay. A bright guy. Very, very good at managing his relationship with his boss. Like a lot of hired guns who work for big money, whether its private equity guys, hedge fund managers or pension managers, over time he's developed some of that "buy side" arrogance that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. The guy I had more dealings with at Orca Bay was his predecessor, Stephen Bellringer, who's an absolute prince of a guy. I have a lot of time and respect for Steve.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hey calm down. Vancouver is and will be always a win situation for every owner... ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Meerschaum wrote:
mr perfect wrote:Interesting perspective, Meer. I'm sure you have been asked this before but have you or did you deal with Stan "The Toady" McCammon? I hear he was a real sweetheart.

Yeah, he was always around, sorta like background radiation, whenever I dealt with Orca Bay. A bright guy. Very, very good at managing his relationship with his boss. Like a lot of hired guns who work for big money, whether its private equity guys, hedge fund managers or pension managers, over time he's developed some of that "buy side" arrogance that rubs a lot of people the wrong way. The guy I had more dealings with at Orca Bay was his predecessor, Stephen Bellringer, who's an absolute prince of a guy. I have a lot of time and respect for Steve.
Not that I travel in the same circles as you but yes, I heard many people were unhappy when Bellringer left Orca Bay, he was well repected there. He was the one given the job to tie the can to Pat Quinn when we all know it was McCammon and Messier who got Quinn fired. Add to that Stan the Toady fired Burke and his contribution to the Canucks and the city of Vancouver was having fired the two most successful GMs in franchise history. I can't remember the exact name of the company he went to work for in Seattle when it became apparent McCaw was selling Orca Bay, I think it was Green Industries or something. I read somewhere it's a family owned company. It's the reason I refer to him as Stan the Toady. No matter how smart he is, he's like a remora, attaching himself to the biggest shark he can find, swimming in its stream and gobbling up leftovers. I wonder how he would do working in a corporate structure instead of family owned businesses.
VancouverBall
AHL Prospect

Post by VancouverBall »

What happens if the Justice rules in favor of Beatty - Gaglardi and the ownership of the team and arena is put under Court trusteeship?

What are the implications as to day to day operations of the team if the Court takes over the team and arena? Could some concerts be cancelled if the Court takes over operation of the arena?

Who would have to buy back the team? Can the court rule that McCaw has to buy back the team and resell it? Can a Court do that?