Anson Carter

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

clearwatercanuck
MVP
MVP

Anson Carter

Post by clearwatercanuck »

Is he available for 1 mill again?
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

If he is, why not? We know he can play with the twins. I'm certain he'll be reasonable about it considering the season he had last year.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I'm not opposed, as there's not much else left out there it seems. I'd like him at under a mill, as his last season he was terrible, a healthy scratch I believe at the end of the season for awhile... The real question is, would he come back? That's allot of pride to swallow for a guy who left the team a year ago for more money. To come back and sign for less would be a tough pill to take.

To be honest if there are other players out there I'd rather someone else, but if it comes down to Carter or the team as it is now, I'd add Carter for under a mil. That's about it though.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

no more than 850,00 per...and then try to lock him up for 2 years, as he could fetch us somehting better if he clicks with the twins again.

However, there is something about Carter that leaves alot to be desired. Every team that touches him since Edmonton having losing seasons.

I doubt Nonis would talk to him again considering he left a good situation for more money.

I bet Carter would take that 2.5 in a heartbeat if he could make the decision again.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I would say no ... period .... he had his opportunity to play here and he turned it down. If he liked it enough and wanted to be here he could have. I want players to play in Vancouver because they want to play in Vancouver .... not because things didn't work out somewhere else and they have a "I guess I will have to play there then" type attitude.

Carter is 33 and Pyatt is turning 26 ... Pyatt should get better and Carter in all likelihood won't ... I say stay with the young guys and move on ... sorry Anson.

Grizz
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Agree with Grizz - he had his chance, and he showed his true colours - there is no need to bring him back.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

sign him! we'll pay him by letting him do our laundries! i'm sure there isn't a rule in the CBA against that!
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Cornuck wrote:... and he showed his true colours.......
It's not his fault being black. :lol:

Imo it depends on the salary, for just 800 k i would like to have him back. ;)
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Grizzly wrote:I would say no ... period .... he had his opportunity to play here and he turned it down. If he liked it enough and wanted to be here he could have. I want players to play in Vancouver because they want to play in Vancouver .... not because things didn't work out somewhere else and they have a "I guess I will have to play there then" type attitude.
Considering that the vast majority of players throughout NHL history have played with a team because they have been drafted by it or traded there, I think that's asking a bit much.

If Carter can produce with the twins again, I'm all for it. Honestly, I don't see why the fact that he turned down an offer from Nonis for $700,000 more per season is an issue. Wouldn't you? Every offseason players leave teams for better offers. It's not personal.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

*tweet*
Offsides called, face off just outside the zone please...
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Jyrki21 wrote:
Grizzly wrote:I would say no ... period .... he had his opportunity to play here and he turned it down. If he liked it enough and wanted to be here he could have. I want players to play in Vancouver because they want to play in Vancouver .... not because things didn't work out somewhere else and they have a "I guess I will have to play there then" type attitude.
Considering that the vast majority of players throughout NHL history have played with a team because they have been drafted by it or traded there, I think that's asking a bit much.

If Carter can produce with the twins again, I'm all for it. Honestly, I don't see why the fact that he turned down an offer from Nonis for $700,000 more per season is an issue. Wouldn't you? Every offseason players leave teams for better offers. It's not personal.
Fair comment Jyrki ... maybe regarding the "loyalty" thing I am asking a bit much but I guess too I would be concerned as to how Pyatt's role and attitude on the team would be effected...

Here's how I see it through my glasses (??) anyhow ...

Pyatt did a decent job with the twins last year and based on his age (turning 26) I would expect him to develop more and get better. He also just signed a new contract so everything is fairly positive for him now ... Should we sign Carter, I would assume we would have to move Pyatt down to the second or third line ... for sure slowing his down production and also potentially affecting his development and so far postive experience in Van.

As I mentioned before Carter is 33 and likely on the downswing of things ... maybe you get another decent year or two out of him but from there I don't think you can expect much more ... I am not saying that Pyatt shouldn't be bumped down for a better player but Carter IMO won't bring more to the table in the next 2-3 yrs and beyond than Pyatt. Throw that in with the fact that when contracts came up for the two Pyatt signed to stay and Carter looked to move ... for these reasons I stay with Pyatt and politely say no to Carter.

Grizz
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

I vote no. Why not give bargain bin a bit more of a thorough examination before trying to relive past glories?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Mike Johnson may be a good pick up.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Grizzly wrote: Throw that in with the fact that when contracts came up for the two Pyatt signed to stay and Carter looked to move ... for these reasons I stay with Pyatt and politely say no to Carter.
The Canucks only had so much cap room. They offered Carter $1.8 million, and couldn't offer him more. So you're saying rather than see what he could get, Carter should have just accepted it, no questions asked? Left $700,000 on the table?

Pyatt signed for about fair market value too. If the Canucks had said $900,000, take it or leave it, with no room for negotiation, there's no reason to think he would have signed either.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

To be fair, I think Pyatt's season was more of a genuine coming out party than Ansons 33 goals.

For one, weren't all but one of Ansons goals assisted by at least one Sedin?

Pyatt played on several lines last year, and looked good on more than a few occasions without the Sedins. Add to the fact he is younger, bigger, and has more raw potential, and there is more of a justification for him to request a raise.

Like Bertuzzi, Carter was great while he lasted, but we've replaced him.