Drafting Russian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should we ever draft another Ruskie?

No
59%
Yes
41%

Total votes: 17

SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

levelheaded wrote: it's still produced some pretty mean customers. As Grizzly said before, Yzerman, Pronger, Thornton, Bertuzzi and Nash are far from soft players.
Yzerman no. Pronger's just dirty, and unfortunately, yes, the other 3 are soft. Bertuzzi? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Isn't there a league in Whalley that could produce some gritty, hard nosed players that the Canucks could use ? :lol:
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

Even before this transfer agreement BS, how many Russians that we have drafted have made it to the team?

Chubarov and Bure are the only ones. Bure was a special case (he would have been a top 3 pick if his situation was clear), and Chubarov was a fairly high pick too (early 2nd rounder - 32 or 33 overall).

Anyhow, we use a lot of mid to late picks on Russians, and not a single one has made it to the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Plus, you just don't win with Russians. Not since the days of the Ex-USSR guys like Larionov, Fetisov, Konstantinov. Those guys were grateful and had class.

Cherepanov is, IMO a special case, becasue his upside is so obvious, and he knows he'll be a $5 million - plus earner if he makes it big here. Like a Malkin or Ovechkin. Russia can't match that.

But for all the other mid level talent (who would make less than $3 million here), they have too much incentive to stay home..
Eyes on the Prize
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

SRsez wrote:
Grizzly wrote:
When the OHL stops producing headcases like Bertuzzi, then they might be close.
Yeah .... and also guys like Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman, Ron Francis, Chris Pronger, Joe Thornton, Rick Nash and Jason Spezza ... ???!!!

Grizz
Never said the O didn't produce some quality. Just that they produce a lot of crap (can anyone spell L-I-N-D-R-O-S?)

But of the last 20 years the Mem Cup breaks down like this:

QMJHL - 3 champions
OHL - 5 champions
W - 12 champions

Now I don't know about how you score that, but I see it as the W winning 50% more times than the Q & O combined.

But okay, the O is the best league on the planet. :roll:

Only if you know nothing about hockey.
If you want to use that argument, the east have one 9 of the last 16 Stanley cups, is that because they play an infinitely better brand of hockey? For a long time people have used the excuse that the west can't win because the teams are tired out by having to play better teams on route to the finals. Isn't it then possible to say the same thing about the WHL in regards to the Memorial cup?

EDIT: Also, Lindros was a BEAST in his time. Did you even watch hockey back when he was any good? He was one of the most dominant players on earth until concussions got the better of him. Anyways, his injuries were a direct result of the PHYSICAL style he played and was famous for all throughout junior and the NHL. I never liked the guy, but there really hasn't been a player like him since.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Momesso wrote:Even before this transfer agreement BS, how many Russians that we have drafted have made it to the team?

Chubarov and Bure are the only ones.
You are forgetting the Professor. (I won't mention Krutov.)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

You are forgetting the Professor. (I won't mention Krutov.)
Wouldn't take anything away from Larionov. His generation of USSR regime players (Fetisov, Konstantinov, Makarov etc) were grateful to be here and played with true character. Mayor McKrutov aside, they were awesome to watch and gave us a respect for Russians that has never been matched since.

It's this new generation, under this salary and transfer agreement cloud. Guys like Koltsov, Morozov et al can play here but can earn the same, or a bit more at home, so why bother? And the vast majority aren't the kind of players you can win with.
Eyes on the Prize
Momesso
CC Veteran

Post by Momesso »

Just to add -

Which is why it really bugs me that we pick players from Russia, instead of doing more scouting in Finland or the Czech republic.

Especially Finland, they play just like us over there......
Eyes on the Prize
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

levelheaded wrote:
SRsez wrote:
Grizzly wrote:
When the OHL stops producing headcases like Bertuzzi, then they might be close.
Yeah .... and also guys like Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman, Ron Francis, Chris Pronger, Joe Thornton, Rick Nash and Jason Spezza ... ???!!!

Grizz
Never said the O didn't produce some quality. Just that they produce a lot of crap (can anyone spell L-I-N-D-R-O-S?)

But of the last 20 years the Mem Cup breaks down like this:

QMJHL - 3 champions
OHL - 5 champions
W - 12 champions

Now I don't know about how you score that, but I see it as the W winning 50% more times than the Q & O combined.

But okay, the O is the best league on the planet. :roll:

If you want to use that argument, the east have one 9 of the last 16 Stanley cups, is that because they play an infinitely better brand of hockey? For a long time people have used the excuse that the west can't win because the teams are tired out by having to play better teams on route to the finals. Isn't it then possible to say the same thing about the WHL in regards to the Memorial cup?
That makes the East having a slightly above .500 win percentage. The W has blown them away - like SRsez said more than the O and Q combined. I'd say the numbers in the NHL are skewed as well, because the 'Canes shouldn't have been there. Same goes for the Oilers.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

levelheaded wrote:Also, Lindros was a BEAST in his time. Did you even watch hockey back when he was any good? He was one of the most dominant players on earth until concussions got the better of him. Anyways, his injuries were a direct result of the PHYSICAL style he played and was famous for all throughout junior and the NHL. I never liked the guy, but there really hasn't been a player like him since.
And there has never been a me-first headcase like him - ever. He was a self-absorbed p.o.s. long before he ever did anything in the NHL. Which never would have flown in the W, where he would have probably become a better player.

And sorry to correct you, but his most famous injury was the direct result of Scott Stevens' physical style of play, it had nothing to do with Lindros, except for the pain inflicted.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

But okay, the O is the best league on the planet.

Don't recall saying that .... I just stated that the OHL has produced some quality players ... I have no doubts that the WHL produces more quality players

... if I knew anything about hockey ... ?? ... lol thats pretty funny !

Grizz
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Isn't there a league in Whalley that could produce some gritty, hard nosed players that the Canucks could use ? :lol:
:lol: :lol:
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Grizzly wrote:... if I knew anything about hockey ... ?? ... lol thats pretty funny !Grizz
If you know anything about hockey, you can't say the OHL is the best league.
Grizzly wrote:I just stated that the OHL has produced some quality players ... I have no doubts that the WHL produces more quality players
Higher quality, as a general rule. It has something to do with the schedule as well.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Grizzly wrote:
... if I knew anything about hockey ... ?? ... lol thats pretty funny !Grizz

Yep ... got it ...

Grizz
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Grizzly wrote:
Grizzly wrote:
... if I knew anything about hockey ... ?? ... lol thats pretty funny !Grizz

Yep ... got it ...

Grizz
I don't know about you, Grizz. Maybe you live too close to Calgary or something. You're not an easterner, are you? ::lol:
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

There was no transfer agreement when the ' defected'?
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill