Canucks, Cowan negotiating

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

kingofrockstars
MVP
MVP

Canucks, Cowan negotiating

Post by kingofrockstars »

LINK

CanWest News Service

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Both sides made a point of expressing mutual admiration, but salary and length of contract for Jeff Cowan are sticking points in a bid to keep the unrestricted free agent in Vancouver.

"We had hoped to have something done with Jeff by this point," Canucks assistant GM Steve Tambellini said Monday of contract talks with agent Roland Thompson."I don't really know what they're thinking."

Thompson is thinking his client deserves a raise on the $532,000 US he earned last season. Cowan's preference is to remain in Vancouver and not test the uncertain free-agent market July 1.

"I understand they're going to want to try and get him at as good a price as they can," said Thompson.

"But we feel he should be paid for his market value."
The police never think it's as funny as you do
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks, Cowan negotiating

Post by mattola »

kingofrockstars wrote:
"But we feel he should be paid for his market value."
bye bye cowan. we have better options on the UFA market.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Seriously... "But we feel he should be paid for his market value." Yes, so do the Canucks, that's why they're not offering what you're asking, schmoe.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Yep ... and from a Canuck perspective .... DN and Tambellini may want to look at all the options "on the market" to see they are getting "market value".

So how much does he really want to stay in Vancouver ?? IMO as long as a reasonable offer is made by the Canucks that should answer any questions.

Grizz
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Cowan is a fool if he doesn't sign with the Canucks.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Cowan is a fool not to test the free agent market.

Thats one good thing about the East not paying much attention to anything but there own little world. Guys like Cowan can pull the wool over there eyes. See Auld.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Cowan was picked up on waivers, I think Vancouver selects in the same order as the previous draft, which means 13 teams had an earlier chance at Cowan and all those teasm that had the opportunity were fundamentally worse than the Canucks.

It's not exactly a glowing recommenadation for a 30 year old player
cheers
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Fred wrote:Cowan was picked up on waivers, I think Vancouver selects in the same order as the previous draft, which means 13 teams had an earlier chance at Cowan and all those teasm that had the opportunity were fundamentally worse than the Canucks.

But Cowan didn't exactly go on a scoring tear before he got picked up. I bet a lot of teams could've used his scoring touch down the stretch.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

hbey come on he scored what 6 goals last season, look at hi history

Games played/goals/Assist/Pts/PIMs

1999-00 Calgary Flames NHL 13 4 1 5 16 -- -- -- -- --
2000-01 Calgary Flames NHL 51 9 4 13 74 -- -- -- -- --
2001-02 Calgary Flames NHL 19 1 0 1 40 -- -- -- -- --
2001-02 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 38 4 1 5 50 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 66 3 5 8 115 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 58 9 15 24 68 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Los Angeles Kings NHL 13 2 1 3 24 -- -- -- -- --
2005-06 Los Angeles Kings NHL 46 8 1 9 73 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 Los Angeles Kings NHL 21 0 2 2 32 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 Vancouver Canucks NHL 42 7 3 10 93 10 2 0 2 22
NHL Totals 367 47 33 80 585 10 2 0 2 22

He doesn't actually have a long line of above average stats
cheers
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Gotta admit it was fun watching Cowans little streak. We all got a kick out of seeing a stone handed guy score some nice goals. But do we really want this guy back?

He takes up a roster spot that could and SHOULD go to a legit heavywieght. Cowan is not a heavywieght or even close, he's not even game to answer the bell most times.

Kevin Bieksa is not a heavywieght, a very good middlewieght but not a heavywieght. Its okay for Kevin to take care of his battles but do we really want him as a policeman? I wouldn't to valuable.

Willie Mitchell with his "good stick" and his one huge hit, and his one fight, and his zero offence, and his 3.5 paycheck is not even a lightwieght.

We got 7 mill worth of Sedins, 6 mill worth of Captian, and another 7 mill worth of best goalie in the league that are open to whatever the other teams want to inflict on them. I think we all saw the playoffs and know that the league is not going to protect shit!

A.V and D.N say that team toughness is the way to go. I kinda liken that to a cat washing itself, If you bathe in shit how clean you gonna get? If you got nobody tough or willing how tough you gonna be?

Its time for this team to say goodby to the Jeff Cowan, Brad May type of quasi tough guy and bring in a knucke dragging goon to lay waste to would be mauraduers.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Fred wrote:Cowan was picked up on waivers, I think Vancouver selects in the same order as the previous draft, which means 13 teams had an earlier chance at Cowan and all those teasm that had the opportunity were fundamentally worse than the Canucks.

Waiver wire pick ups go according to the standings at the time.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Its time for this team to say goodby to the Jeff Cowan, Brad May type of quasi tough guy and bring in a knucke dragging goon to lay waste to would be mauraduers
As much as I fundamentaly agree with this statement, I am forced to disagree.

Problem is, those knuckle draggers are never on the ice when you need them, and all that happens is someone runs Bobbie Lou, and changes for thier heavy, and we send our heavy out -- title match ensues with no justice... I would rather have 4 or 5 guys who can take a regular shift, and if some wimp a$$ runs Lou, whomever is on the ice cleans his clock.

There are not too many heavywieghts out there who pile into the goalies like the middleweight agitators do... and its the middle-light weights at full speed that hurt people.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

Okay MCP i'll agree thast they arn't on the ice when shit usually happens. But if a coach was smart enough to wait untill the middlewiegghts shit disturbers shift came around again and inserted tough guy then? Perhaps the perp would pay and not just another goon.

Eric Cairns is a tough S.O.B who can play a sixth d-mans role.

Perhaps Andy Sutton . These two could take a some what regular shift.

What my real point is is that Niether Cowan, Mitchell or Bieksa really stopped anyone or put the fear of God into anyone that ran Lou or the Sedins last season. With the Ducks winning the cup with a very very physical team that frequently stepped over the line of whats acepptable . There are going to be copycat teams this season. Denying that and not preparing for that is not only foolish but also a good way to spend another season with a fifth rate back-up such as Auld as your number one.

Oh how I long for the days of Gino.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

What my real point is is that Niether Cowan, Mitchell or Bieksa really stopped anyone or put the fear of God into anyone that ran Lou or the Sedins last season.
Sadly, that is true. We need a 5 years younger Brad May. Problem is, there just isn't that many of those guys around. And I agree with you on Sutton. He would be fine as a number 6 guy with the top 4 that we have.
Oh how I long for the days of Gino.
I loved him... but he wouldn't cut it today because he can't skate a lick though.. if we are going to get a heavy, the guy has to be able to skate and play defence... I just don't know who that is though....
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I gotta agree with MCP on this one...as much as I would like to have a massive beast to lay waste to anyone in the league, a real hockey player is not terrified by those players, because they will just turtle.

That being said, I think some more grit would be beneficial. Todd Bertuzzi was (obviously) never afraid to get nasty (and I don't mean the Moore incident, just generally). Cam Neely also comes to mind. Good luck finding one, but even a second/third line guy with a nasty streak who isn't afraid to take 4 in the box for knocking out some teeth with his stick if you run Lou.

Team toughness, I agree with. Thereofore, I think you keep Cowan, and his fourth line minutes, and ALSO go out and sign a big body who can play low and do some mucking. I wouldn't be adverse to taking a chance on Lindros for the right price, watching him dominate us in some games makes me think if we use him in the right role he could be an impact player.

As far as top caliber players, I would go for Scott Walker and sign Anson back here for cheap, again. Leave last season in the past, we know he has the potential to play well with the Sedins, lets see if he can do it again...if not, he's signed for cheap!