Ottawa Senators vs Anaheim Ducks - Stanley Cup Final

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Ottawa Senators vs Anaheim Ducks - Stanley Cup Final

Post by mattola »

Here it is.

Your predictions?

Im holding off as Ive cursed a few and know who I want to win.

At least there will be another NEW stanley cup winner. and yet another team will win the Cup with less than 15 years in the league.

37 and counting..... sigh.

Burke got a team and he got a goalie. 2 years in Anaheim and his team has won 5 playoff series. 6 years in Vancouver and he had 1 win. 1 FRAKING WIN.

2 years in Anaheim and he is in the Final. yes he got a crop of talent up front but he REBUILT that defense and turned it into a power house. Congrats Burkie. Why couldnt you pull the trades when you were here? (McCammon influence???)
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Senators will be in tough against Anaheim. Phalsson and co. have done a great job shutting down Gaborik and Demitra, the Sedins, and to a lesser extent Datsyuk and Zetterberg. The Senators are a one line team. I just can't see this going well for them...

I say Ducks in 5.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Sens have better depth and better special teams play. But the Ducks are bigger, better and meaner at just about every other aspect of the game.

I don't think anything they've faced so far in the playoffs has prepared the Sens for the onslaught of physical abuse that's about to come crashing down upon them. Yeah, the Ducks have won a number of Games they probably didn't deserve to in the course of getting to this last round - but this ain't no Cinderella team out of the West that's just happy to have reached the finals.

Ducks in six.

Oh well, at least Edmonton get's an additional first rounder in 2008 out of the whole Pronger imbroglio.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

There has never been a euro captain to win the cup.

There will never be a euro captain to win the cup.

process of elimination.

Anaheim in 6 grueling, punishing series.

Hell, I think Alfie will win the Conne Smythe.

Will we finally see fights?
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

Jelly wrote:There has never been a euro captain to win the cup.

There will never be a euro captain to win the cup.

dont count it out yet.....
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

histroy is on my side! 8-)
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Ottawa in six. Unlike Detroit, the Ducks are not going to be able to allow Ottawa to outplay them and and still manage a win. If Anaheim plays like it did in the first two periods of yesterdays game then it will go seven with Ottawa coming out on top.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Ducks in 5.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I called the Ducks to win at the beginning of the season, so I'm sticking to my guns and saying Ducks in 6.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Jelly wrote:histroy is on my side! 8-)
Yes, but history also shows that there haven't been many European captains until recently, and even now, they're still in the minority. This year's playoffs, we have Detroit, Vancouver Nashville, New York x 2, New Jersey, and Ottawa only: 7 captains out of 16, and the finals feature 1 out of 2. That's exactly what you expect given the distribution. Also, they had never been a European Conn Smythe trophy winner, but that history was broken in 2002. Sooner or later you'll see a European captain win the cup.

By the way, I'm predicting them to win the Cup, in a 6 or 7 game series. So far I've only been wrong with San Jose over Detroit and the inevitable Vancouver over Anaheim (I had to do it because I was 8 for 8 in the first round, even though my brain told me Anaheim).
Farhan Lalji

Re: Ottawa Senators vs Anaheim Ducks - Stanley Cup Final

Post by Farhan Lalji »

The Western Conference is significantly stronger than the East in my opinion. I firmly believe that a LARGE reason why Edmonton and Calgary both lost in their respective cup finals, was because of key injuries (i.e. Roloson) and/or fatigue (i.e. Calgary having to go through Vancouver, Detroit, and San Jose in 04').

This year, BOTH teams should be fairly well rested.

In my opinion, this series will last 5 or 6 games (with the Ducks winning the Cup).

The Sens are a great team, but the Ducks are the Ducks. Too much firepower up front, while Pronger and Nidermayer will severely limit the offensive capabilities of the Sens.

Your winner and Stanley Cup Champions for 06/07: The Mighty Schmucks of Anaheim. :(
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I predicted that Detroit would beat Anaheim because there are many things not to like about the Ducks game in these playoffs. They lack depth. Nediermayer and Pronger are not playing like Neidermayer and Pronger. They rarely have two offensive lines going in a game.

None of that has changed. I think they were fortunate to beat Detroit. They won two games where they were clearly outplayed thanks to goaltending of Giguere.

While Detroit is a deep team they were a bit beat up on the blueline (no Schneider is a huge loss). They haven't met a team like Ottawa who can roll four very effective lines and 6 effective D-men. They haven't met a trio up front like Alfredson-Spezza-Heatley. They haven't met a team that has all key players fully healthy (indeed Ottawa has no one injured).

They haven't met a team that has only lost 10 games in regulation (or proper playoff OT) since December 21.

They haven't met a team that is clicking on all cylinders like Ottawa is.

Ottawa in 6.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

How many times has a team that has beaten the Canucks in the playoffs gone on to win the Cup or at least get to the Finals?
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

I basically endorse everything Tantalum says...

Not only do I think Ottawa will win (and I'll get to experience a Cup celebration for the first time in my life in any sport other than the CFL), but I think they'll look very good doing it.

I think it will end up going 6, but Anaheim will never lead the series, and never really threaten to take it realistically. They have underachieved in these playoffs, strange as it sounds -- that's a testament to how good they can be, but like Tant, I really think Ottawa is full steam ahead right now.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Tant and Jyrki have it correct. (I hope) Also, Ottawa has been much more consistent in every game and period where Anaheiem has not. Ottawa will be the first team with a full and healthy defense.

Go Ottawa!

Intangible: Anaheim has a lot of guys who've been there and are due.. scary.