Class action lawsuit against the N.H.L.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Class action lawsuit against the N.H.L.

Post by ververgaert »

I can't believe what I witnesed tonight!

I firmly believe that every Canuck fan that bought a ticket to a Canucks game, pay per view or purchased a Canucks jersey this season should throw some money in a hat and hire a team of lawyers to go over that series second by second with an N.H.L rule book in hand.

What happened in this series was criminal. The people that spent there money on the Canucks this season are the victims of a fraud perpatrated by Gary Bettman and the marketing gurus that the N.H.L have in place.

The uncalled fouls in this series comited by the Anahiem team were a slap in the face of every person that went to, watched, or listened to on the radio. Do they really think we are that stupid? Do they really think we would not notice that both goals were the direct result of uncalled fouls? Do they think we didn't see Niedemeyer drag his skate leaving the penalty box an trip a Canuck? Do they think that we are so stuoid and uneducated about the game we love that we would not notice countless dozen pick plays go uncalled this entire series?

Obviously they do. So now its time to hit them were it hurts. In the pocket book. The only thing the N.H.L cares about is money. So lets take some of it back!!
Don Cherry for Prime Minister
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

Refs are too scared too call anything.

Canucks Fans: You watch the game?
Buttmann: Had to watch the other game tonight.
Canucks Fans: Mmm, what other game.
Buttmann: OKAY IM A SENSELESS JERK THAT WANTS TO SEE HIGHER TV RATINGS, IF I WERE ANY SMART I'D GET OUT OF MY STUPIDEST IDEA EVER AND NOT MOVE PITTSUBRUGH TO KANSAS CITY. I WILL BRING IT TO CANADA, I'M A DOUCHE. GO EASTERN CONFERENCE GO.
Canucks Fans: Cool.

Diving is the thing that bothers me the most. SALAMI hint hint.
I Hart Luongo.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Let's be real guys, the reffing sucked all throughout the playoffs, but it sucked fairly.

The puck over the glass in OT? Had to call it.

Elbowing on the winning goal? Would have been called in the regular season, but this is playoff hockey. The guy has to suck it up, and Lou can't call a penalty for the refs.

It sucks that it turned out that way, there was probably a call that COULD have been made, but we can't cry about it when our goalie made a call and didn't make a save. That's not to say Lou is at fault, it's just an observation...playoff hockey still has some playoff hockey atmosphere, regardless of the chincey, stupid, pointless penalties the league sais must be called.

As far as the first goal. Ref fuck up, pure and simple. They happen, live with it. We're not Buffalo circa "Brett Hull Goal."
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Every team gets victimized by bad calls/non-calls.

Also, there are no "conspiracies" to keep Western/Canadian teams out of the finals and to make sure American teams win the Cup.

American teams outnumber Canadian teams 24-6. Odds are good that most years a US-based team is going to win it.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

not the reason we lost

we scored so little PP goals.
we were outshot in that game by 40 shots. FRAKING FORTY

Refs are not the problem.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I think both views have some traction. There is no doubt that and Anaheim v's the Rangers is a dream come true for the NHL brass. To say any thing else is crasy. Most Americans have no idea where most cities in Canada are located and ceratinly will not follow the SC which features Canadian team. It's just a fact.

the reffing was atrocius and from my perspective spoiled many of the games

The Canucks were often benfisciary of the bad reffing and should have controlled their own destiny, they didn't. How many times when you played did you hear this from the coach "play until the whistle is blown" Luongo should be reminded of that. He let down and that's that, he's still a great goalie.

What is more important is to review our failure and make sure the players we bring in during the summer recify the team failings
cheers
Myria
AHL Prospect

Post by Myria »

are you nuts?

The Canucks were the beneficiary of bad reffing a total of 2 games out of 12 tops. The other 10 games they were usually screwed by the refs on numerous occasions. Look at our powerplays compared to other teams, on most nights we didn't deserve it.

Last night was just another example of the refs turning a blind eye to the other team.

I guarantee if it had been our player tripping the Ducks player at the blue line, slashing his stick and scoring, nailing our players head first into the boards TWICE, pushing Geguire into the net to score and a blatant elbow to the head in OT, we would have been called. We were called all year and the playoffs for that crap.

I don't usually believe in conspiracy theories, and I'm not saying there is one here, but too many a night I threw my arms up in the air at the officiating that called penalties for our team one way and completely different for the opposition.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I don't usually believe in conspiracy theories, and I'm not saying there is one here, but too many a night I threw my arms up in the air at the officiating that called penalties for our team one way and completely different for the opposition
Amen to that.

consistency in reffing is something I have been harping about for years now.

I just don't see the answer is all...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
clearwatercanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by clearwatercanuck »

I have to say that this series was one of the worst refereed in as many years. I really think the NHL should review the game and discipline the refs accordingly. This is a disgrace for hockey and the Vancouver Canucks. The Canucks built their team around the new NHL Rules. The Ducks still are playing the old style NHL and are getting away with it (Ducks are good at cheating and getting away with it.) I personally watched most Canucks game this year, and for the past ten years as well. I have spent thousands of dollars on Canucks paraphernalia, and I am really sad to say that hockey is becoming a real joke.
I would like to see some changes implemented next year to make the game better.
Get rid of the second referee on the ice and put him in front of the TV in the scorekeepers box so he can see what we see, this would free up more room on the ice. This way the refs can conjugate after the whistle and make the right call using video review. Also one minute penalties for icing the puck and delay of game for shooting puck out of play anywhere except the offensive zone. This would really make the players think twice. Also, a player cannot touch the goalie in the crease even when the puck is in there. However, out of the crease the goalie is fair game and can be checked like any other player. Finally a passive RFID system should be implemented, (Puck in net or not in net) to indicate weather a goal has been scored or not.

Thanks, and enjoy the summer.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I'm really think that I'm done with watching the N.H.L. Certianly I refuse to watch Gary Bettmans well planed out dreams come true in the rest of these playoffs. Some of you are calling it bad reffing I'm calling it FRAUD!!.

Like you Clearwater I very rarley miss a Canuck game and put alot of my energy and time into being a fan. Too have the N.H.L deliberatly lessen the chances of winning a Stanley cupfor a chance to have a marketing dream come true Is more than I can or will take.

Maybe my family will take up snowboarding or even jion a mens hockey team myself, but I will not be a victim of that little bastard's fraudulant ploy again next year.
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

clearwatercanuck wrote: I have to say that this series was one of the worst refereed in as many years.
If you look at the other series (and in fact check out last year - the first of the "new" look/era) it's all relative. And, it's nothing new from the regular season when a number of us complained about how the officiating was causing a flow problem in the game and was emphasizing a special teams focus.

It appears that it will take longer than the nhl thought to "correct" the way teams defend in the new nhl. IMO the league has to look at some of the infractions - most noticeably the puck over the boards and the "soft" hooking penalty that is called when a player places his stick on the opposing player.

Having said that, the officiating did not cause the Nux the series against the Dux.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

The Vancouver Canucks were not a good enough team to beat the Anahiem Ducks in the playoffs this season. They are to small, don't hit enough and dont pressure the opposition in the offensive end near enough. They back in way too much at there own blueline and allow the opposition a rediculous amount of time to get set up. Anybody that knows anything about hockey knows that the Ducks were going to win. Despite the fact the Canucks have the best goalie in the league.

Thats what pisses me off the most about the way Anahiem was allowed to bend the rules. To anyone who knows the game it was completly unnecessary to cheat! To run the goalie, to dive,to leave there feet to make a hit, to runn interference constantly.

It was a slap in the face of Vancouver hockey fans to think that this would just fly over our heads.
sic puppy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by sic puppy »

ververgaert wrote: Thats what pisses me off the most about the way Anahiem was allowed to bend the rules. To anyone who knows the game it was completly unnecessary to cheat! To run the goalie, to dive,to leave there feet to make a hit, to runn interference constantly.
What you are describing is playoff hockey. As a player you do what you have to (or think you have to) to win. Is an infraction cheating ? It's certainly a penalty and while most of us "homers" think more calls could have gone the Nux way, I'm sure if we look at the situation in an objective way, the Nux could have been called for more as well.

In any event, the way to counter act the "cheating" is to punish the other team when you get the PP. This didn't happen for the Nux. If it had produced at a higher rate than 6% (actually was 3% in this series) and they had some how beat the Dux this would be a non-issue or at least not the high profile that some are making it to be.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I'm not talking about the Ducks players cheating, that is to be expected from both teams. I'm talking about one team getting away with way way more than an other team. The N.H.L made it clear that nothing was to intrerfere with the plans for a So Cal team in the finals.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

id be curious to know how much canuck bias was involved in this.

i mean i did see nights when we got 8 power plays and they only got 3...

but i agree the refereeing sucked. i cant really add much more to it since its all been said but if theres a solution to this mess i certainly dont see it.
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch