Music

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Music

Post by dangler »

Looking for some recomendations for some new music

I've recently been enjoying Michael Franti & Spearhead-Yell Fire

I enjoy most genre's
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Well my favorite band is Queen, I also very much enjoy Elton John, u2, The who, Van Halen...

hell Oasis isn't bad either.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

Oh, I can't forget Ozzy, Neil Diamond, Van Morrision and others...
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I'll toss out a few names...
If you haven't heard, check out a band "Spoon"
also Saul Williams is great...
For something a littel heavier try Snot, a groove/stoner metal band with some ska vibes and some sort of bluesy breakdowns. Also Unearth if you are in the mood for something heavy... killer riffs! :)
As for more Chill sutff, there's The Cat Empire, ska/salsa/reggae Aussie band with horn section and all...
Manu Chao - Really cool dude, sings in English, Spanish and French, very different but great sun-shine music!
Zero-7 - Elctro-chill type stuff, very cool.

More Chill/Hip-Hop type stuff:

Damian Marley - Welcome to Jamrock
Liquid Soul - Blues fusion type hip-hop. look for newer albums
Danger Doom - Don't know much about, but cool and has Aqua Teen Hunger Force samples, how bad could it be!
Also Zach de la Rocha from Rage Against The machine has some assorted tracks floating around on the net, they're all decent, I just like 'em cause it's so good to hear Zach again! mmmm reunion...

Last but not least my rock-ish types to suggest would be:
John Mayer Trio - Try! - Live Blues album, very very good, not like his pop stuff.

She Wants Revenge - You've probably heard that song with the line "as I whisper in your ear, 'I want to fucking tear you apart'" in the monotonus voice... well they're allright.

The Black Keys - two guys who used to do landscapping for a living and suddenly hit it big, indie-style. Just two guys, guitar and drums. very stripped down but bluesy.

The Raconteurs
- Jack White and friends, I'm digin' it.

There you go, what can I say, I've got spare time :) Hope this helps... who am I kidding I just love any excuse to talk music ;)
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Spearhead, awesome. I just recently got some bootlegs of early Beatnigs shows. Very different from Franti's later stuff!

Still with beats, if you like reggae as well, you've got to hear anything produced by Lee Scratch Perry. ("Arkology" is a pretty awesome collection, and if nothing else you'll get to find out where the Clash's "Police and Thieves" came from).

Lately I've been fascinated by some Japanese psychedelia (largely instrumental): Ha-Za-Ma, with Michio Kurihara. Hard to find, but absolutely fantastic. In the same vein:

13th Floor Elevators.

Spacemen 3.

And on the subject of vaguely improvisational, but also jazzy, heady, and interesting:

Can.

Tortoise.

And freakier, heavier, but also amazing:

Swans.

Neurosis.

Red Sparowes.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Those are some great recomendations Badfish A real variety for my thirsty ears,
Orts stuff is a little out there but will probably listen to it a little more later.
thanks to bothof you
juhuu
AHL Prospect

Post by juhuu »

social distortion, queens of the stonage, white stripes, led zeppelin, black sabbath, tenacious d, the bones.....

:whistle:
Vanekfan3
AHL Prospect

Post by Vanekfan3 »

led zeppelin, motorhead, slayer, social distortion, bob dylan, stones, pink floyd, kiss, ac/dc,
stuff like that