Ok here's the deal with the site: PLEASE READ

If it's in here, it's probably a good idea to read it.

Moderators: Brian CC, Referees

Brian CC
Site Admin

Ok here's the deal with the site: PLEASE READ

Post by Brian CC »

Ok.....this weekend I installed a new message board software, a fresh DB to see if the problems with the site would go away. They did not. I had the same issues with this new database...too many connections, time outs, etc. Rather than requesting chat support, I waited the 45 minutes on the phone with Ipower Tech Support. They informed me the load on the site has simply outgrown shared hosting in it's current form.

With the blog's, the message board, the history db, the site is simply generating too many db queries, and not only that being on a shared host, we are sharing the those queries with hundreds of other sites, and the server is bogging down.

I took a little snap shot of the hits the site received from Feb 1st to Feb 28th:

It may not seem like a ton, but because the site is database driven, it is an issue. If this were a site of graphics and such, it wouldn't be an issue.

When the tech guy saw these stats, he said "Sir, to be honest with you, you're getting way too much traffic to be shared hosting this type of site"

Fair enough, but I cannot afford the $49.00/month they want. I found some VPS (Virtual Private Server, one step up from shared, and before dedicated) hosting with a company in Vancouver for $39.99/month Cdn. I have e-mailed them to see if they would be interested in an arrangement to to reduce the cost, i.e. them being a prominent ad prescence on this site. I don't expect to hear anything until mid-week or so.

I was wrong before, the current hosting agreement expires May 6th 2007. We cannot remain at Ipower, it's simply not going to work.

I think a VPS setup may be doable for the future. Quite frankly, for $500.00/year which is what around this will cost barring a deal with the hosting company, I can cover with advertisment income. Of course, right now there is none of that, because all of the ads currently on the site have been paid in full.

So...here we sit.

I am willing to make the jump to a new server. But to get it going, I will need your help. In the future, I hope that all costs will be covered by the ad revenue the site gets. I think that is doable.

Can we raise $500.00 by May? Sooner? As soon as we can, I will make the move.

This will be a huge undertaking. I think there is a good chance the Canucks could be playing hockey in May, and I don't want to have to decide between moving the site or renewing for a term on Ipower during a very heavy traffic time of the year.

I also have ad agreements with current advertisers and the site must remain up for the term of our deal.

Now maybe I am being fleeced here. Told a bunch of b.s. by a tech guy to sell me a vps package. Do I try another host with shared resources? I don't think that's the way to go simply because it's going to be a lot of work to move the site, and if it doesn't solve the issues, then I have to do it all over again.

Therefore, if anyone has any knowledge they can offer, or has a suggestion, please feel free.

I think by the number of visitors, we should be able to raise enough sponsorship money for the site. After year one, I will be responsible for the costs. The site has been here for 10 years, and it's now approaching a new phase. I will be exploring every avenue I can to try and do whats best for the site.

If you have a company and would like the idea of thousands of people seeing your ad here for very affordable rates, let me know as well.

So that's where I am...what do you guys think?
Last edited by Brian CC on Tue May 08, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Brian I'd ask if any of the 'technical' guys on here can give you a second opinion. If the hosting company you are talking about is legitimately telling you the site has simply grown too big, here is what I suggest: if everyone who regularly uses this site could chip in $25-50 each there would be more than enough to pay for the upgrade. That may be a little too much for some on here, but if we can all make a few more donations, I think we can make this work. I'm willing to hold back a purchase of a few crown and cokes to donate to the site. Jamesownsam told me he is willing to auction off one of his Messier jerseys for the cause as well. If everyone can just donate a few more bucks, we can keep this site going.

I'm even willing to charge a few bucks to anyone who reads my blog:

http://prattsrant.blogspot.com/

We'll have the cash in no time.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

I'm pretty sure if the regulars who frequent the site chipped in, we could do it no sweat. In a lot of ways, I think many of us consider this "our site" as well, so it's just a matter of putting our money where our mouth is, so to speak.

Thanks Brian for all you do... I'll send some "thanks" along.

ST
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

You have my support! (and money when it's needed)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

stevethiessen wrote:I'm pretty sure if the regulars who frequent the site chipped in, we could do it no sweat. In a lot of ways, I think many of us consider this "our site" as well, so it's just a matter of putting our money where our mouth is, so to speak.

ST
I'm thinking of selling my leather pants to raise money for Canucks Corner. The pants are actually 42 inch waist, 29 inch length.

http://vancouver.craigslist.org/clo/297473113.html

dp
Last edited by DavidPratt_ on Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

stevethiessen wrote:I'm pretty sure if the regulars who frequent the site chipped in, we could do it no sweat. In a lot of ways, I think many of us consider this "our site" as well, so it's just a matter of putting our money where our mouth is, so to speak.

ST
Even if I can't sell my leather pants or charge a user fee for people to read my daily rant, I will send you some cash to keep the site alive.

JamesownzSam: step up. Sell a Messier jersey or make a donation.

dp

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Nice try with the pants there big guy....you have not been a 29" waist ever!! :lol:
I love the site...just let me know what i can do....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Just a thought Brian,

You could make a recomendation on a donation value for those of us who are interested. I'll be happy to pitch in my share.
R.I.P. Luc.
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Soapy wrote:Nice try with the pants there big guy....you have not been a 29" waist ever!! :lol:
I love the site...just let me know what i can do....
Sorry. Mistake on Craigslist. 42 inch waist and 29 inch length. Who has a 42 inch length?? Manute Bol?

dp

KieranGunn
AHL Prospect

Post by KieranGunn »

Switch Hosting to Verve hosting.

LINK

Great plans - Cheap to fit within your usage. I have used them for years with a website that handles aprox the same amount of traffic.

I would go Webmaster II - $10 USD / Month

You can also get extra database space in $2 increments.

The other solution is to purge older posts from the BB.
Good, Bad, ..... I'm the guy with the gun.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I'm behind you on this one Brian - just let me know when you want the money and it'll be there!
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Guess it is time to put my money where my mouth is ;-) I'm on side on this as well, so just let the deadline and recommended amount per person be known.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

KieranGunn wrote:Switch Hosting to Verve hosting.

[urlhttp://www.vervehosting.com/plans.html[/url]

The other solution is to purge older posts from the BB.
I'm all for donating some bucks but this is also a good point. I'm not even remotely a computer guy (just started using them a few years ago) but maybe if some of the older posts were removed, would that not help?

dp

gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

Let me know what you decide to do and how much your suggested donation will be, and I'll chip in as well.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

DavidPratt_ wrote: I'm willing to hold back a purchase of a few crown and cokes to donate to the site.
Great idea. I'm thinkin' the same here too. You know, there's even added benifits... less calories, which equals weight loss.

How about this for a slogan: More CanucksCorner; less fat!

See, sitting if front of the computer really IS good excersise. 8-)