More site issues

If it's in here, it's probably a good idea to read it.

Moderators: Brian CC, Referees

Brian CC
Site Admin

More site issues

Post by Brian CC »

As I am sure you are aware, this site has continued to have loading/unreachable issues too often for anyone's liking.

The bottom line is the host keeps telling me every thing's fine and I am done with that. The hosting expire in August. At that time I plan to move the site. I do not want to move it yet, because a) I lose a bunch of months hosting b) I have to do some checking for a good host. c) most importantly it's a huge job and I don't want anything to go wrong right before we hit the playoffs.

I have to ask therefore that everyone hang in there. Stay with us and keep trying.

I recommend you bookmark certain areas of the site you like. As the outages are hit and miss.

Thanks for your patience. This irritates no one more than me.
Last edited by Brian CC on Tue May 08, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

No problem. :mex:
dallasdman
CC Rookie

Post by dallasdman »

Thanks for the heads up :!:
THE ZAMBONI STOPS FOR NO ONE !!!
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

Thanks to you Sir.

We all appreciate your efforts keeping this all going.

Kudos!
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

There is something seriously wrong.

I've seen the stats for how many people are on at one time etc and there really isn't enough of a load to be a problem for any web host.

You might want to find a host that has servers physically closer to Vancouver when your shopping for a new one in August. When the site was down I started investigating and from here on Vancouver Island it takes on average 11 network hops to get to the server hosting the site in what appears to be Phoenix Arizona but it takes a route that seems to skip all over the continent out to the east coast and back.

Still it's not too bad, even when the site was down completely just now I was still able to ping the server hosting canuckscorner at around 55ms average which doesn't explain why it's down. I suspect it's more to do with the forum software or database itself.

Also note that your phpbb software seems to be quite out of date judging by the date at the bottom of this page. That could easily be a source of all sorts of problems, you might want to look into it.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

The forum software is completely up to date. That date means nothing. The version is 2.0.22, and that is latest offered by PhpBB.

If it's a database issue, then why does the site run flawlessly during the evening. I believe that the server they have us on which is a shared server simply has too many sites on it. During peak hours the server is overloaded.

The host tells me the site is hitting it's max questions limit of 50,000 requests an hour. If anything I may have to redesign the front page so not so many requests are being made to the databases.

I can start playing with the design, but I am not really into mucking around just before the playoffs.

All I can ask is you guys ride it out with me until the season's over, and I promose to get this resolved in the off-season.
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Yeah it does sound like some funky business going on with the host.
I just assumed by the date at the bottom that it was out of date sorry.

50,000 database queries an hour peak doesn't really sound like much for a website.

Not much you can do I guess but ride it out. The problems don't detract at all from that fact that this is the best canucks site on the planet!

Are you looking for a hosting sponsor down the road?
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

JCardinal wrote:Yeah it does sound like some funky business going on with the host.
I just assumed by the date at the bottom that it was out of date sorry.

50,000 database queries an hour peak doesn't really sound like much for a website.

Not much you can do I guess but ride it out. The problems don't detract at all from that fact that this is the best canucks site on the planet!

Are you looking for a hosting sponsor down the road?
I am open to all opinions and options. There is only so much I can afford, and I don't want to ahve a fund raising drive each year to pay for a dedicated server. I am on the lookout for a new host, and more than likely a complete redesign of the site.

I have noticed the front page seems to have more issues than the forum itself, and the blogs and other pages that don't pull in information from phpbb seem to have no issues. It could be the portal I ma using on the front page.

I'll keep tweaking things until I get it right. :)
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Re: More site issues

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Brian CC wrote:As I am sure you are aware, this site has continued to have loading/unreachable issues too often for anyone's liking.

Thanks for your patience. This irritates no one more than me.
No problem. If it doesn't load I just refresh the page until it somehow loads it. I'm not the most technically literate guy in the world. There's an old saying Brian:

The juice is worth the squeeze.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040