Unbiased now....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you think Bertuzzi got off too lightly

Yes
4%
No
56%
Just right
28%
Who cares hes free again
12%

Total votes: 25

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Well said Jyrki!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Jyrki21 wrote:There's been a fair bit of suggestion -- especially coming from the U.S. media -- that Bertuzzi got off lightly, but those people simply do not understand the BC or Canadian court systems. A first-time assaulter, who poses no discernible threat to the general public, would not often get slapped with much more. Perhaps a suspended sentence rather than a conditional discharge (means you do get a criminal record for a while, but not much else), but people who thought he would 'do serious time' have no conception of the criminal justice system.

Canadian judges are loathe to send people to jail... you have to do something pretty darn serious to go these days. To expect someone in Bertuzzi's position, but without the celebrity status or hockey context to have gotten a stiff punishment is unrealistic. Same goes for any punishment much stiffer than the bread-'n'-butter conditional discharge.

Moreover, the bozos who are indicating that BC judges somehow favored Bertuzzi or imposed a double-standard as compared to McSorley (disregarding the fact that it was a different charge and that there was never any pileup on top of Donald Brashear to increase the damage) are making an extremely serious and insulting allegation. These people -- most of whom have never set foot in BC, let alone a BC courtroom -- are suggesting that our judges are such rabid hockey fans, that they can't help but allow their fanship to interfere with their jobs in sentencing. Give me a break... our bench may have problems, and it may periodically be swayed by legitimate politics, but a teenage infatuation with sports stars is not one of them.

Bertuzzi got what anyone else is his position would have gotten. If Moore's injuries had not turned out so harsh -- as a combination of the punch, an unusually quick bout of unconsciousness, and the pileup started by Andrei Nikolishin -- we wouldn't have even thought twice about the incident. And the same goes for any Average Joe on the street.
What do you think you are, some kinda lawyer or sumpin'? Oh wait....nm,

J21, if you don't know something, just say so; you don't have to make stuff up... :P
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

shouldnt you be supporting your OTP bud and the stuf he "makes up" :lol:
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Bertuzzi got what anyone else is his position would have gotten. If Moore's injuries had not turned out so harsh -- as a combination of the punch, an unusually quick bout of unconsciousness, and the pileup started by Andrei Nikolishin -- we wouldn't have even thought twice about the incident. And the same goes for any Average Joe on the street.

I couldn't have said it any better myself, Jyrki21.

It's laughable to think that an American would say that our criminal justice system is biased when the U.S. brought us the O.J. Simpson trial. :lol:
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

feritflame wrote:shouldnt you be supporting your OTP bud and the stuf he "makes up" :lol:
Aw, he's just razzing me because 1) he knows law is more interesting than insurance, and therefore he's jealous :lol: and 2) I'm better at bubble-hockey than he is.

:whistle:

Heh heh, Linger's a good guy. Although ClamRussell seems to have the avatar he was born for...
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Jyrki21 wrote:
feritflame wrote:shouldnt you be supporting your OTP bud and the stuf he "makes up" :lol:
Aw, he's just razzing me because 1) he knows law is more interesting than insurance, and therefore he's jealous
Byte your tongue... Everything is more interesting than insurance. Don't single out 'law' since you know I find just about everything is more interesting than insurance.
Jyrki21 wrote: and 2) I'm better at bubble-hockey than he is.
Just keep on whistling, Delaware-boy... I absolutely own you in bubble hockey; even thumped you in your own backyard...

Jyrki's a good guy...

... As lawyers go... :twisted:

Anyway, if you want to see the measure of a man, check out Jyrki21's Denouement (or however you spell it...) in the Canucks forum on OTP after they bowed out to Calgary... A lot of it probably won't mean much but it had the entire board in e-stitches....
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

oooo controversy, just what this forum needs :twisted:
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch