Larscheid to retire after this season?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Larscheid to retire after this season?

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

LINK

All I can say is thank god.
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

I will miss him. I used to hate him...he would drive me crazy...but in his last years with Robson & his time with Shorty, I've come to enjoy his goofyness....I think its a bit of a treat to have a homer colourman..who calls'em as he see's em...

Quote " He is an original, a true Vancouver treasure who, like any great broadcaster, has created a style of his own. That style might not sell in another market. In Vancouver, it's gold.

I mean, who else could sell a line like, 'Bingle, bangle, bongo, that's Roberto Luongo!!!!' Who else could call a game as if he'd bet a large sum of money on the Canucks? Who else could come up with half the things Larscheid comes up with and get away with it because he makes it sound so genuine? End Quote

I think that pretty much sums it up.....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

:(

I'll miss him. He's no Robson, but he brings unmatched enthusiam to the games he calls and he's always worth a good sound clip or two.

Who'll replace him? Garret? Remenda? As it stands, there really is noone better then him right now.
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

levelheaded wrote::(
I'll miss him. He's no Robson, but he brings unmatched enthusiam to the games he calls and he's always worth a good sound clip or two.
Agreed, and he seems to be having an even more enthusiastic this season. That's infectious and fun when you're limited to the radio for games.

JOS11 has a replacement in mind?
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

gordorama wrote:
levelheaded wrote::(
Agreed, and he seems to be having an even more enthusiastic this season. That's infectious and fun when you're limited to the radio for games.

JOS11 has a replacement in mind?
Ray Ferraro ??
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Here is a little story. Being a true fan, I was wearing my Canucks jersey to watch a pre-season game in the Shark tank, all by msyelf. I was seated upstairs on row number 2, and little did I know that row number 1 was the radio broadcast booth and I was sitting right behind the Team 1040 crew. Tom Larscheid was the first one who talked to me (Shorty talked to me too, during one of the two intermission breaks) before the game. You can just sense that he's as big a Canucks fan as anyone. He also offered to give me a signed Tom Larscheid hockey card printed by Team 1040. It's a pleasant surprise and my first signed hockey collectible. Thanks again, Tom.
Island fan
CC Rookie

Post by Island fan »

Soapy wrote: who else could sell a line like, 'Bingle, bangle, bongo, that's Roberto Luongo!!!!'
I really hope the line was "Bingo Bango Bongo" otherwise I have a t-shirt that has no meaning :?
Back to the thread though, I'll miss him. Yes, he's going insane and will at times refer to players not on the ice or even on the team, he'll quote the score backwards or just plain wrong and the teams whose game he thinks he's calling might change from period to period. But never the less he's a staple of hockey out here and it will be sad to see him go. Especially since I think hearing him when the Canucks win a cup might be an aural experience of a lifetime.
For some reason this off season feels longer than normal.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Especially since I think hearing him when the Canucks win a cup might be an aural experience of a lifetime.
Wouldn't that be a nice treat for him if the Nucks won it all for his final year !!!

Grizz
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

As a cheerleader, he does a great job. Like other posters have said above, he sounds genuine, which is a rare commodity in media these days. He has the persona as "one of the fans".
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

I'd still take him over Bob Cole any day.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

gordorama wrote:I'd still take him over Bob Cole any day.

True dat!!
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

It would be nice to see him retire while he is on top of his game.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Many have forgotten that Larscheid was a sports reporter as well as a colour man. He was the one that broke the story on the Canucks signing Pat Quinn as president and GM. His interview with Jeff Brown exposed the dislike many players at the time had for then head coach Rick Ley. Not pleasant stories but still a good job done.
zanstorm
AHL Prospect

Post by zanstorm »

Larscheid's voice and style has grown on me. I especially liked it on the radio as well. But please tell me that Ray Ferraro is NOT an option! Ray is hockey smart, but that lisp would kill me. Don Taylor anyone?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

^ Nice avatar! Tony-O!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."