the "late" hit by Janssen

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

the "late" hit by Janssen

Post by Jelly »

what happens when a Maple Laffs gets checked, drops to the ice, hits his head on the boards, sent to the hosptial , and is scheduled to be cleared to leave the hospital?

the dude who hits him gets to go to a hearing ....

wait.. the Refs on the ice didn't even give a penalty!..

nope, he caused Maple Laffs a hospital bill.. he must be suspended!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=198543&hubname=
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

It WAS a pretty late hit. Would you have let Bert get off without a suspension if Moore had stood up and skated away? Penalties and suspensions can't be judged on the injury, it has to be the intent. The NHL hasn't seemed to work that out yet. I think automatic 3 game suspensions (like Emery got for Slashing Lapierre) should be imposed if it is deemed the hit was a cheap shot or an attempt to injure. In no way do I want hitting or fighting out of the sport, but I DON'T want a repeat of the Bertuzzi incident ever again. The NHL's name has been dragged through the mud more then enough times of late.
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

are you kidding me... did you not see the hit. That was way late. He passed the puck off and if people say that that Neil hit was late.. it was roughly .7 secs after he passed it.. count this one. It was a brutal hit in a brutal place too. It has nothing to do with Kaberle being a leaf. Cam Janssens is a nut job, al he does on the ice if you watch his three minutes a night is run at people.. the other night agaisnt the penguiens he took about a 85 foot run at someone behind the net and jumped at him. He missed but i have never seen a guy hit the boards so hard. He is a dirty player and there is no excusing him. He isn't a regular tough guy is just a young punk who is already ugly enough and doesn't care about his looks anymore. Im sure his boyfriend likes his personallity anyway.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Geez..... I should try to see the replays to see what the hit was like. Sure is causing an uproar.

Seems like you have to almost kill someone to get a suspension in the NHL now.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

I thought the Neil hit was borderline legal. But this one was clearly late and Janssens left his feet. Good call by the League.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

i duno, just seems weird to me how the dude's gonna be fine coming out of the hospital .. and the league goes rambo on Cam's ass..

Others intent to injure others, and the league blind eyes it
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Dirty, late, high hit on a star player by a goon...everything this league wants to avoid. The guy got three games and I think he probably should have gotten five, just to send the message.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=198543&hubname=
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

randymeeks wrote:Geez..... I should try to see the replays to see what the hit was like. Sure is causing an uproar.

Seems like you have to almost kill someone to get a suspension in the NHL now.

Here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Mx_x8g7y0
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Three games is a disgrace. That is one of the dirtiest hits I have seen in a very long time. 8-10 games would've been much more reasonable. He was 100% trying to hurt Kaberle, no question about it. Janssen should be ashamed of himself.
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

He was just "finishing his check" people; so what if Kaberle got rid of the puck 10 minutes eariler?
OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson »

Hey all, I have been reading your posts for a few years now and decided to add my two cents here and there. I have actively played the game for over 40 years and have been a loyal Canucks fan from the start.

Anyway, I don't think there is any place in the game for a hit like that. Not if we want to avoid needless injuries, or worse yet career ending injuries. I can't believe his teamates were too happy with that hit either?

I saw it as clearly a late hit, and if you look closely, he was not the last person to touch the puck either. I don't think that rule has changed???
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Welcome!

Couldn't agree more. I like the idea of a tough guy to have a dust up now and then, but the whole reason they went to this "new NHL" was to allow the skilled guys to play. If Jansen does his job, he cranks guys fairly, and has the odd tustle with Belak. That hit was just dirty, I can't believe the refs didn't call it in the game, and I can't believe he only got three games.
OCWilson
CC Rookie

Post by OCWilson »

Thanks Island for the welcome.

I agree, how is that call missed? Just shows that refs are far from perfect, even in the NHL. They blew the call, plain and simple I believe. I appreciate the efforts players like Janssens make, they just need to stay inside the boundaries of what THEY KNOW are solid, fair hits. Not many like a hard hit more than me, but who wants injuries? What I meant on my earlier post was that I would expect that Janssens would get some heat from his own players over that hit...even if it is the silent treatment.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

It's yet another case of a marginal, fringe NHL player trying to get more ice time by taking out a star. The league tried cracking down on this with the obstruction calls, and I think they really screwed up by not giving this guy at least 5 games. The hit was dirty in almost ever respect. Those refs should be given a stern lecturing, there's no excuse in a two man system for anything of that magnitude to go un-noticed (two 200+ pound men crashing into eachother...go figure!). I wonder, since it would most definately qualify as a major penalty, why neither of the linesmen said anything, weird all around.

Regardless, the league really missed an opportunity to say enough is enough. Suter on Gretzky, Samuelson on Neely, Kasparitis on any of his knees, Domi on Niedermayer, Moore on Naslund, I bet you could make a massive list of these things, all which resulted in different reactions from the league office. I think if they're serious, they would start suspending any suspicious hit from a marginal player on a star just to send the message. I'm totally fine with a guy like Jansen earning his ice-time running over guys like Kaberle, but when it happens in such a horrid fashion...there's no place in the game for that.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

watching the hit solidfies my opinon.

it was late no doubt, but he didn't ram his head to the boards,

it was an open ice hit, it was a freak accident that Kaberle's head hit the boards.

if this hit was in the playoffs, the league wouldn't do anything about it.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.