Canada vs. Russia predictions

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Tonights game results

Canada Gold Medal -blowout game
38%
Canada Gold Medal - close game
63%
Canada Gold in the shootout
No votes
Russian Gold in shootout
No votes
Russia Gold - close game
No votes
Both disqualified for brawling
No votes

Total votes: 8

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Canada vs. Russia predictions

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Whats the result?

I say 6-2 for Canada

wOOt!!!

Go Canada Go!!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Arny
AHL Prospect

Post by Arny »

4-3 Canada
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

5-3 Canada!

GO CANADA!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Heya Vegas, question for ya; are you able to catch the game via ESPN down there today?

I am hearing conflicting reports out of my American cohorts as to whether or not the game is available on t.v. south of the border...

Personally I thought there would be little chance of ESPN airing the game with the Bowl game on tonight, but then I realized that ABC probably has the rights to the Bowl game leaving ESPN with a block of time to fill (and I mean it really doesn't matter what they put in that slot because we both know that the Bowl game will far outdraw it in ratings).

So perhaps ESPN will take a chance and air it anyway? Curious times...

Anyway, if you have any information, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share.

By the way, happy holidays and all the best to my CC brethren.

PS. 5-3 win for Canada...

IMO, that russian defence hasn't had to deal with a forward corps yet that could be likened to the Canadians. I don't think they have what it takes to contain them.

On a side note, the Weber - Phenuef matchup against the Russian snipers should be great to watch.

Weber has impressed me. We all knew that Phenuef was a lock and I am getting what I expected in that regard...

But Weber looks like a steal for a second round pick...far outplaying his first round american counter part in Ryan Suter...

Both of which are property of the Nashville Predators.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

They're not showing the US game - so I'm thinking the Gold Medal game won't be on either. I'll keep looking - arghhhhhh

edit: This is what ESPN is planning for this afternoon...

5:00 pm
2004 WPBA Classic Tour - Florida Classic: Jennifer Barretta vs. Karen Corr; Quarterfinal #1

6:00 pm
2004 WPBA Classic Tour - Florida Classic: Melissa Herndon vs. Julie Kelly; Quarterfinal #2

Billiards ??? WTF ???
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

1-0 Canada in 51 seconds - that's a great start!

Ryan Getzlaf (Jeff Carter), 0:51.

2-0!

Danny Syvret (Braydon Coburn, Patrice Bergeron), 8:00 (PP).

2-1 - Damn! 32 seconds left!

Alexei Emelin (Grigori Shafigulin, Alexander Galimov) 19:28 (PP).

3-1 We get the 2 goal lead back!!

Jeff Carter (Andrew Ladd, Ryan Getzlaf), 3:33.

5-1 We're unstoppable!! One on the powerplay and another a minute later!

Patrice Bergeron (Perry, Crosby), 7:53 (PP).

Anthony Stewart (Nigel Dawes, Mike Richards), 8:54.

Ohmygod! 6-1!!

Dion Phaneuf (Jeff Carter, Ryan Getzlaf), 13:19 (PP).
NeoCanuck
AHL Prospect

Post by NeoCanuck »

Seems like we have this game in the bag ^_^

Anyone find the annoucers VERY annoying at times?

Pierre Maguire, throughout the whole tourney, if the team is losing, he insults the team, saying that their effort was pathetic etc...

I dont know the other announcers name, but whenever someone scores, he screams " He Sccccooorress", like he just got kicked in the balls.

Good Game nonetheless ^_^
Get Your Towels Out Boys!

What Would Happen If The Toronto Raptors Broadcaster Started Doing Canucks Games?

NASLUND DEKES, SCORES!!! THAT WAS SICK, WICKED AND NASTY!!
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

NeoCanuck wrote:I dont know the other announcers name, but whenever someone scores, he screams " He Sccccooorress", like he just got kicked in the balls.
The other guy is gord miller, LMAO kicked in the balls, i thought it was gonna be a close game but i was surprised to see is cream the russians
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Also, what was up with Ovechkin leaving in the middle.... i think the canadians were just too much to handle :lol:
Snoopy
AHL Prospect

Post by Snoopy »

WCE
MVP
MVP

Post by WCE »

Totally dominate performance.

I have to say, the Canadians put a thick blanket over the Russian snipers the whole game, and none of them could break through it.

The Weber - Phaneuf combo handled Ovechkin to a startling degree. But outside of them, I have to say that both Bergeron and Crosby had a hand in containing him. I counted no less than 8 times where one of them took Ovechkin off the puck on the backcheck around the blueline area. The entire Canadian team was all over him from the d-men, to the forwards and even to the players on the bench...

Lesson to him and his counterparts - When you point to the name on the back of your jersey other players are going to make sure and write it down. You taunted/showboated, and if you can't handle the extra attention that comes with doing such things, you had better end those post goal celebrations a little bit earlier next time.

Malkin - outside of a few flashes - was also contained by Belle and his partner.

And at the other end of the ice, the Russian defence simply could not handle the physical game of the Canadians down low. After the first 10 minutes of the game the Russians certainly looked intimidated and unwilling to go into the corners to battle it out. Unfortunatley for the Russians, their goaltenders didn't bail them out of any jams, or do them any favours with two very questionable goals.

Bergeron, Carter and Phaneuf were certainly the most impressive players on the team throughout the tournament, Crosby as well when you consider his age (though he was overhyped at times due to the eastern media).

The way that Bergeron didn't back away at the start of the game when one of the russians got in his face let everyone in the building know that this team wasn't going to quit.

Dominant performance by the Canadians.

Since SR isn't here to do it, I am going to have to say to all of those "Eastern %#-*!&@*#" who cried about the large contingent of western canadians on this team to suck eggs. This was the most dominant team possibly in WJC history.

All the boys on that team were Canadian...regardless of where in the country they were born or where they played.

Sigh, looks like this will be the last time I cheer for Phaneuf for a while. He is going to be a down right nasty cog in that Calgary flames defence...He is going to get the Robyn Reghr treatment from now - can only cheer for those big hits when he is wearing a maple leaf on his sweater, or when he is playing against the Avalanche. Man he is going to be a hell of player.

Though he might not be as good as Phaneuf , maybe if we didn't trade so many 2nd rounders we could land ourselves a Shea Weber in the future?;)

Congratulatons to the boys.
"We Will Rise Again"

- Fan's sign from the final game of the 05/06 season
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Though he might not be as good as Phaneuf , maybe if we didn't trade so many 2nd rounders we could land ourselves a Shea Weber in the future?
You never know, i mean we do have Nonis at the helm now, no more burke... :cry:
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Pick_My_Nose
CC Rookie

Post by Pick_My_Nose »

Now that was a quality, good old fashioned Canadian ass kicking! All five international hockey titles are now ours.

Olympics Men and Women: GOLD

World Cup: GOLD

Men's and Women's World Championships: GOLD

And now coming to Vancouver: The defending World Junior Hockey Champions: CANADA

How sweet it is for us Canadians. IT IS OUR GAME PEOPLE!!!!!

Congrats to Brent Sutter and his team for this GOLDEN moment!
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose. But never, EVER, pick your friend's noses!!!!! BOOGER!!!
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Best junior team ever put together.

Sutter only took the job because he had total control of the team and the content. Hopefully hockey Canada will give the next head coach the same control to the next head coach to do what ever he thinks instead of what the committity thinks!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

my head hurts.

Golden hangovers are the same as normal ones.

Great job boys! way to make us proud. Classy moment when the team went to center ice and gave the crowd a 'hats off'.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.