Rumor out of Philly that Foppa headed to Vancouver....LINK

Trade rumours from around the league. Think you have a source? Stand behind your rumours? You better, or don't post in here!

Moderator: Referees

Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Anyway, I can't believe I've got so worked up about this as it's not going to happen (at least not at that price). I'm generally in agreement with you and Meers that it's definitely not worth it to give up the future for Forsberg no matter how great he is. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying he's not worth one 2nd rounder.
If it was JUST one second rounder ... maybe ... we all know though that won't happen. I just think he is an incredible liability due to his injuries. To give up a second rounder for 20 games and maybe one round in the playoffs is alot ... the fact is he is totally injury prone and there is no guarantee we would even get those 20 games.

Its a total "now" deal and I don't believe the canucks are a "now" team .. if we were two years down the road and we had a legitimate shot at the Cup I would say for sure ...

Grizz
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Edler/Second Round Pick this year/Second Round Next wouldn't be likely to get the job done for the Flyers but it looks good from a Canuck perspective.
Not a chance as far as I am concerned ... The Canucks are a team of the future ... Forsberg is NOT a player of the future for this team .... Forsberg is best suited for a team seriously contending, pushing them over the edge.

I know its easy to say ... its Forsberg ... what are you thinking here ??!! .... a second rounder and a fringe player is nothing ... but the thing is (IMO anyway) its only the quick fix or quick high that makes him look so attractive ... once the season passes we'll be saying why would we give up a potentially good young player for a guy that has only given us a handful of games ....

If DN is seriously building this team for the future he has to avoid the temptations of quick highs and look at the big picture ... the long term picture ... keeping the cupboards full in todays league with the cap restrictions is how we will be a good team every year instead of going through all the ups and downs of a good year and then missing the playoffs the next.

Grizz
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Philly will want Bourdon and a First for Foppa...doubt me? Look at the Nagy trade. They got a first, and a roster player,and its Nagy. Nagy...Forsberg....Nagy....Forsberg.

Bourdon's stock has most certainly dropped recently, so they aren't crazy in asking for him. There's no way on this earth that I want DN trading him for a rental, though. If we leave this deadline with a Brad May-circa 2003 deadline deal being the only thing done...I won't cry.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Getting Forsberg is too agressive for DN, unless he has to give up Schneider or Edler (not Bourdon) and a 2nd round pick I can't see this rental trade for this year happening.

The new NHL is all about your draft picks and stock piling them.

But unless the owner has told DN to trade the farm and make a Stanley Cup run, I just can't see this trade happening!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Rumor out of Philly that Foppa headed to Vancouver....LI

Post by westvandal »

rockalt wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Healthy... Forsberg is one of the top players in the world ... the fact is he isn't and he hasn't been for a long time ... I wouldn't trade anything for him right now even if it is only 1 of our second round draft picks.

Grizz

Oh come on, you're seriously saying you wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick if that's all it took to get Forsberg here? I see your point that going after Forsberg is not in the best interests of the team (because of health issues and the assets we would realistically have to give up to bring here), but a 2nd rounder is definitely worth the risk. The guy definitely has some health concerns but he's also got what, 38 points in 39 games? It isn't as if he's been hurt the whole year. Not to mention he has the potential to elevate his game to an elite level during the playoffs (tons of guys play through the pain, he's no exception). That's not even factoring in the boost he could give our ailing superstar. Sedin, Forsberg, Morrison is a pretty sick top 3. A 2nd rounder itself, is hardly a guaranteed top player. Some work out but many more don't.

Anyway, I can't believe I've got so worked up about this as it's not going to happen (at least not at that price). I'm generally in agreement with you and Meers that it's definitely not worth it to give up the future for Forsberg no matter how great he is. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying he's not worth one 2nd rounder.

He's a no-brainer for a 2nd rounder.

He's about to have Nonis killed if it was for Morrison, Bourdon/Schneider/, Edler and a 1st.

Good for Nashville, they, in all likelyhood, have the most potential to win the cup now.

They sure as hell make the west alot more interesting and fun to watch in the playoffs.

I Nonis stays patient, we will be in Nashville's position the year after next, and much more poised to do some damage next year. I am glad Nonis didn't do the move, if we make a run this year it will be more about EVERYTHING going right (read: flukeyish ala Edm, Car '02,). I'm sure any playoff success will be gravy but there is a plan in place. If Nonis stays true to this plan, the 'Nucks will be a successful team for a longer time, and can make SERIOUS runs at the cup for several seasons...such as getting a Forsberg.