Rumor out of Philly that Foppa headed to Vancouver....LINK

Trade rumours from around the league. Think you have a source? Stand behind your rumours? You better, or don't post in here!

Moderator: Referees

nuxfanindallas
CC Veteran

Rumor out of Philly that Foppa headed to Vancouver....LINK

Post by nuxfanindallas »

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/16679442.htm

It says about half way down that the big rumor yesterday had Forsberg coming to Vancouver. The Canucks are usually mentioned as a possible destination for Foppa, but they're usually only one of a number of teams listed...this article was interesting in that it mentioned Vancouver in particular by itself. Interesting...

It's my opinion that a lot of rumors get started because of logical brainstorming by sportswriters (a la Gallagher on Smolinski last week), but this rumor is particularly interesting in that Vancouver doesn't really have anything it's willing to give up to get Forsberg; Nonis has already said he won't trade Bourdon, and I HIGHLY doubt he'd give up a first rounder.

With that in mind, I wonder if there really is something to this rumor...it must have come from somewhere...this is not Eklund or anything--it came out of Philly yesterday.

What would you all be willing to give up to get Forsberg? At a MAXIMUM, I would give Schneider and one of our three 2nd rounders, although that's just the instantaneous gratification in me--I don't really think it's an all-around good move.

It would be ridiculously sweet to have him though, even if just for a while....[/u]
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Re: Rumor out of Philly that Foppa headed to Vancouver....LI

Post by Bartman »

nuxfanindallas wrote: At a MAXIMUM, I would give Schneider and one of our three 2nd rounders, although that's just the instantaneous gratification in me--I don't really think it's an all-around good move.
That's about exactly what I would offer and not any more. WIth Luongo and a few other decent prospects in the system Schneider has more value as trade bait than a future player.
R.I.P. Luc.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Bartman wrote:
nuxfanindallas wrote: At a MAXIMUM, I would give Schneider and one of our three 2nd rounders, although that's just the instantaneous gratification in me--I don't really think it's an all-around good move.
That's about exactly what I would offer and not any more. WIth Luongo and a few other decent prospects in the system Schneider has more value as trade bait than a future player.
I'm still not big on trading Schneider. Luongo won't be here forever, and it would be nice to have a franchise goaltender to step in for him 4 years down the road. I know that anything could happen between then and now, but I think this franchise needs to start looking to the future. Although Forsberg is extremely tempting as a rental player, he is nothing more. I think there is an excellent chance he will retire after this year, so 2 months of Forsberg hoping he doesn't get injured isn't worth trading a very good prospect.

I'd much prefer to trade our first round pick then Schneider, because with a first rounder you don't know what you are getting. Schneider is already a boneafide top prospect.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

moved to Rumours forum
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Bartman wrote:
Healthy... Forsberg is one of the top players in the world ... the fact is he isn't and he hasn't been for a long time ... I wouldn't trade anything for him right now even if it is only 1 of our second round draft picks.

Grizz
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

What with his salary situation, me thinks that moving someone off our roster is what would have to occur if we're going to pick him up. Morrison is a likely target, and if Forsberg was 85% sure of being healthy I'd do a Mo/ 2nd rounders etc. for him. However, as he is now, there's no way I trust him to work through a 7 game series without getting hurt.

I woudln't mind seeing Nonis deal for a guy like Laraque out of Phoenix, Pettingers' doing decent in Washington, he's another I'd like to try out here. Close to 20 goals again, 900K is pretty reasonable for a guy who can play both wings (shoots L, plays R).

With names like Sedin, Sedin, Naslund and Morrison up front, we have the makings of two solid lines. Guys like Pyatt, Cooke, Linden, Bulis, ____, should be able to fill the spots as required. I don't think going for a homerun is what we need, I would like to see DN fill some holes with role guys...not the superstar question marks. This team had a plethora of those last season, and is doing much better without the ego's.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

The 1st rounder is ok with me as we have LA's 2nd which is basically pick # 31. But i'm not into trading Schneider whatsoever, he's blue-chip. Forsberg is not the same player this season...scares me that he'll last about as long as Brad MAy did in our line-up as a rental.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

I was reading on another site that there is a rumour out of New York that Mo is on the block .... I don't have a link so this isn't a credible rumour ... just a rumour. Interesting.... I guess though with the deadline around the corner every player is probably going to be traded at least 3 or 4 times ... wait and see what really happens.

Grizz
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Oh God, please say it ain't so!

The only possible benefit from having Foppa would be if Cloutier miraculously got healthy for the Kings, and Forsberg were presented with an opportunity to punch him in the junk again.

Otherwise, he's just not worth it. Stick a fork in him - he's done. (Look for him to sign with the old age home in Phoenix in the off season . . . )
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
gordorama
MVP
MVP

Post by gordorama »

Meerschaum wrote: The only possible benefit from having Foppa would be if Cloutier miraculously got healthy for the Kings, and Forsberg were presented with an opportunity to punch him in the junk again.
LOL - Great call - I always wondered what Clouts said to him.
Here's the moment to remeber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKrXiOR8fBY

:rofl:

Would love to have some of that fire on our team though.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Meerschaum wrote:Oh God, please say it ain't so!

The only possible benefit from having Foppa would be if Cloutier miraculously got healthy for the Kings, and Forsberg were presented with an opportunity to punch him in the junk again.

Otherwise, he's just not worth it. Stick a fork in him - he's done. (Look for him to sign with the old age home in Phoenix in the off season . . . )
Not to rain on your Parade Meers, but he didn't actually punch him in the nuts. Clouts stole his stick and Forsberg grabbed it back forcefully so Clouts took a dive. Although, I (along with a lot of other Vancouver fans) would much prefer it the way it looks.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Grizzly wrote:Healthy... Forsberg is one of the top players in the world ... the fact is he isn't and he hasn't been for a long time ... I wouldn't trade anything for him right now even if it is only 1 of our second round draft picks.

Grizz

Oh come on, you're seriously saying you wouldn't give up a 2nd round pick if that's all it took to get Forsberg here? I see your point that going after Forsberg is not in the best interests of the team (because of health issues and the assets we would realistically have to give up to bring here), but a 2nd rounder is definitely worth the risk. The guy definitely has some health concerns but he's also got what, 38 points in 39 games? It isn't as if he's been hurt the whole year. Not to mention he has the potential to elevate his game to an elite level during the playoffs (tons of guys play through the pain, he's no exception). That's not even factoring in the boost he could give our ailing superstar. Sedin, Forsberg, Morrison is a pretty sick top 3. A 2nd rounder itself, is hardly a guaranteed top player. Some work out but many more don't.

Anyway, I can't believe I've got so worked up about this as it's not going to happen (at least not at that price). I'm generally in agreement with you and Meers that it's definitely not worth it to give up the future for Forsberg no matter how great he is. However, I wouldn't go as far as saying he's not worth one 2nd rounder.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

if we are rebuilding fully we better be trading Salo for as much as we can get. would be nice to have a Floppa for a playoff run but I am not in favour of giving up youth at this point. we need to last one year without dumping what little depth we have.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The problem is...he's going to command more than one second rounder. And I have serious doubts we can fit his $5+Million contract into our roster without losing some roster players.

No doubt, this guy will command more than a single draft pick...Nagy got a first rounder. Forsberg will probably get a roster player, good prospect and second, or roster player, average prospect and a first.

For the price he'll command, it's not worth it for us.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Just for fun...

Here is a link to what a few teams are rumored to have offered for Forsberg. The source is questionable so take it with an entire shaker of salt. But it's the first place I've seen the actual players/picks being offered.

http://www.brochuishockey.blogspot.com/

Edler/Second Round Pick this year/Second Round Next wouldn't be likely to get the job done for the Flyers but it looks good from a Canuck perspective. We'd still have to lose some salary elsewhere as well.

Won't happen but it's fun to at least see the Nucks mentioned in these rumors. Makes the days leading up to trade day more interesting.
R.I.P. Luc.