Slow Site Issues...

If it's in here, it's probably a good idea to read it.

Moderators: Brian CC, Referees

Brian CC
Site Admin

Slow Site Issues...

Post by Brian CC »

A couple of people have commented on the slow loading or non loading of the site of late. Believe me when I tell you this issue is driving me nuts. You call support and they say everything is fine. B.S. The issue always seems to resolve itself, but of course that means nothing to you at the time you try and get but can't.

Because I have shared hosting, the servers sometimes get bogged down. Unfortunately, there is not a lot I can do about it except call and complain and get the run around. I am getting increasingly frustrated by the problem.

The site is at the point now where a dedicated server may be required soon. That costs big bucks.

When my hosting package comes due I am going to look for a new host. All I can ask is for everyone to bear with me, be patient and just keep trying when these issues arise. if you think it's frustrating to you, it's down right driving me nuts. In fact one ad deal I had backed out because the site was basically down every time they checked it.

One thing to try is to make a bookmark directly to the forums, or the blogs. The front page pulls a lot of data from databases, and it seems to have the most problems. This is a host issue because at times the site loads fine and others database errors occur etc.

I hope you all realize I am doing the best I can and keep Canuckscorner as your Canucks site of choice.

Thanks.
gmisinthegarage
MVP
MVP

Post by gmisinthegarage »

I have noticed this a lot lately... what ballpark figure would it cost to have a dedicated server?
You cook so slow you don't use a egg timer you use an Egg calendar.
Oh ya that's right I went there
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

gmisinthegarage wrote:I have noticed this a lot lately... what ballpark figure would it cost to have a dedicated server?
They start around $80.00 U.S./Month... :bang:
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

ouch...

Yea I've noticed it a bit too, usually no big deal. I mean in the grand scheme of things, if I have to wait 45 min for the site to be back I can deal with that :)
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

As of now there is no way I can afford a dedicated server, so I am going to try and look for other solutions. I may have to redesign the front page so it is not so dependent on the database.

I believe the problem is that during the day the server we are on is very busy and the mysql databases are getting overloaded. At night the site doesn't seem to have any issues.
ManEatingWhale
AHL Prospect

Post by ManEatingWhale »

How much bandwidth does the site take? Would it be possible to set up a server on an old PC and hook it up on a cable/DSL connection?

I know - it's not professional hosting, but it might be an alternative.
stevethiessen
MVP
MVP

Post by stevethiessen »

don't kill yourself Brian... I'm pretty sure we all greatly appreciate the great lengths you go to already, and noone gonna have their nose out of joint too long anyway... for the most part maybe it's just divine intervention telling us to get back to work... :)
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

It has been frustrating. I don't have much time on my hands to post replies so when the site is down or slow I don't participate much.

I appreciate the situation and the costs however. Don't worry too much about it I'm sure a solution will present itself.
R.I.P. Luc.
*CanucksForLife*
CC Veteran

Post by *CanucksForLife* »

It has been very slow lately, but I don't mind, it'll usually work an hour later. Don't pop any brain cells trying to fix it. ;)
I Hart Luongo.
lifer
CC Veteran

Post by lifer »

Thanks Brian, for all your work in keeping this site going :D
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

I spent an hour with support today and they insisted everything is fine. And today it has been fine. I don't buy it. If there was somethign wrong with the site itself it would have a problem all the time. It's a sporadic issue on their end. I just need for it to actually happen and stay down when I am talking to them...I think before they start with you they reset everything just for the hell of it. Every time I call them when it is down it comes back before I am off hold... :bang:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Who are you hosting with these days? Maybe a godaddy 'virtual dedicated server might be a decent compromise.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The last couple of days have been a lot better.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Yeah there was abrief outage yesterday morning, ottherwise it's been good for thas few days. I made some minor tweaks to the front page as well. Let's hope thing have sorted themselves out.

Just remember we are on a shared server, and from time to time there will be issues. :)

Art, I checked out Godaddy and their packages don't really suit what we need here.
ververgaert
MVP
MVP

Post by ververgaert »

I'd be willing to throw 5-10 bucks a month down. I spend more time on this site than anywhere else.
Don Cherry for Prime Minister