NHL back to Winnipeg?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

showtyme21
CC Rookie

NHL back to Winnipeg?

Post by showtyme21 »

While I've always stayed away from this debate, this is an interesting development.

"Manitoba Moose owner Mark Chipman released a statement concerning his interest in obtaining an NHL franchise for Winnipeg. But it doesn't really amount to anything concrete.
It says they are encouraged by the comments made by League commissioner Gary Bettman on Hockey Night in Canada Wednesday night, when he said under the current NHL business model, Winnipeg could probably support an NHL franchise.

Chipman also says over the past few years, they have remained in close contact with the NHL who understands and acknowledges their interest in returning the league to Winnipeg if and when a viable opportunity presents itself.

Chipman says he will continue to be proactive in attempts to explore the matter with the NHL.

CJOB News"

I can't imagine this actually happening, and if you really look closely into the wording of his press release, he actually doesn't say anything new other than he's somewhat interested.

Being a Winnipegger, I thought there might be others who'd be interested in this.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
JamesOwnzSam11
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JamesOwnzSam11 »

It's not happening, damnit!
"I think my biggest influence has been Messier."Watching him prepare for games and how seriously he still took everything at his age. A lot of the qualities that he had helped me get better."- Markus Naslund
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

As much as I would love to see the NHL return to Winnipeg, it's not going to happen. Kansas City, Oklahoma City and a whole boat load of others are ahead of it in the running for an NHL team. The AHL has to prove that it can be sucessful for an extended period of time (7-10 seasons) for the NHL to even consider Winnipeg again. Unlike a city like Nashville, which doesn't have the NHL support it has the potential for growth. Winnipeg does not. As much as I want it to happen, it won't.
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

i dont think that there are that many cities other than kansas that want a team. besides i think that they would put a team in canada over a team in the US simply because the US doesnt have the interest in hockey. at one point i rememeber hearing that poker in the US had better tv ratings than hockey. point is Canada loves its hockey and if you put a franchise in a canadian city, it will flock to suppor them. hell look at buffalo. best team in the league still cant fill their stadium. there are very few cities that can sustain a hoceky franchise in the states. i for one was impressed to hear that colorada recently had its 500th consecutive sellout. now that is what a fanbase should be like and you're more likely to find that in winnipeg than in oklahoma or kansas.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

There are two cities I'm pulling for to get an NHL franchise. Winnipeg is first on that list followed by Seattle. I truly feel the 'Peg was robbed when the Jets went to Pheonix and that the league OWES them big time. I also hope that if it ain't Winnipeg then Seattle purely from a selfish standpoint. If the Penquins moved to Seattle what a rivalry it would create.Only two easy hours down the highway and the two best cities in North America to live in.
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

something tells me a franchise might not be able to survive in seatle. i mean they have the mariners, the seahawks, and the sonics. throw in another team? especially in a sport that americans dont care about too much to begin with? that just sounds like a formula for disaster on the NHL's behalf
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I dont want the penguins anywhere near our division... or our conference for that matter!!! I dont want the canucks to play the likes of Malkin, Staal, and Crosby 6-8 times a year!!! :shock:
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

We are soooo Canadian...I miss the JETS as much as anyone...hell it was the only rival the Canucks beat in the playoffs on a regular basis...but come on...as long as Bettman draws breath, there will not be another Canadian team....he will go to any other market that draws flies but has the franchise fees before he comes back to the homeland....he is about today money,,,not about 'the good of the game' or ' growing the game' or 'keeping the fans happy'...he is all about money in the pocket...if Tijuana ponies up the cash, they would get a team quicker than Winnipeg
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

Soapy wrote:We are soooo Canadian...I miss the JETS as much as anyone...hell it was the only rival the Canucks beat in the playoffs on a regular basis...but come on...as long as Bettman draws breath, there will not be another Canadian team....he will go to any other market that draws flies but has the franchise fees before he comes back to the homeland....he is about today money,,,not about 'the good of the game' or ' growing the game' or 'keeping the fans happy'...he is all about money in the pocket...if Tijuana ponies up the cash, they would get a team quicker than Winnipeg
Amen Brother Soapy. Gary Bettman has ruined the NHL. Basically he has treated the growth of new NHL franchises and the 'expansion fees' the way sleazy salespeople deal vacation time-shares. The guy is a clown.

dp
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
showtyme21
CC Rookie

Post by showtyme21 »

And just for the record, I agree with the general sentiment here. The way it sounded on CJOB here in Winnipeg, Pittsburgh wasn't even an option. The talk was more for Florida, Atlanta or Nashville. I don't believe that Winnipeg can support a team yet. Give it a few more years, and possibly especially if Nashville exercises their right to get out of their lease.

When all is said and done, we need the corporate dollars, and I'm not sure that Winnipeg has it, although if we could find an owner who doesn't mind losing a few million every year, and is passionate about raising the status of the city, it just might work. We have two such people in Winnipeg right now (although I'm not sure just how much money they're willing to lose to make it a reality) in Mark Chipman (moose owner), and David Asper (currently working on a proposal for a new stadium for our bombers and purchasing them).

Whatever. We'll see what happens, but it is an interesting debate. Very passionate people on both sides.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"
WpgJets
CC Veteran

Post by WpgJets »

Of course, I am in favour. Might even make me move back.
Mozy

Post by Mozy »

I dont want the penguins anywhere near our division... or our conference for that matter!!! I dont want the canucks to play the likes of Malkin, Staal, and Crosby 6-8 times a year!!!
are you kidding me? i'd love to see more highlite reel plays in our building. there arent nearly enough. they play a fast up tempo game of hockey. not crappy slow trap hockey. i live for line to line passes, and end to end breakouts, not neutral zone traps and minnesota wild hockey. i think it would be great to have them in our division :)
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Oh dont get me wrong, I really do love watching the Penguins and the style of hockey they play... however that team is going to be a force to be reckoned with, and i dont want crosby and the pens on top of our division... know what i mean mozy?
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Yeah, I don't want the Penguins to move to Winnipeg.... even though it would be a treat for Winnipeg fans, it would be brutal for us.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Winnipeg will never ever get another team. People are holding on to the past and are foolish to ever think the NHL will go back to Winnipeg There's a reason why Bettman put the screws to Balsili.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: