Game day: Canada vs Finland

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Will Canada blow out Finland or will it be a close game?

Blow out
100%
Close game
No votes
Finland wins
No votes

Total votes: 5

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Game day: Canada vs Finland

Post by Jovorock »

Could Canada let down against the Finns?
Canada 24 goals 4 against
Finland 4 goals 3 against

x - Canada 3 0 0 24 4 6
Sweden 1 1 0 7 8 2
Slovakia 1 1 0 5 7 2
Finland 1 1 0 4 3 2
Germany 0 3 0 1 19 0

x - Advances to championship round

Finland cruises past Germany

Canadian Press

12/26/2004

THIEF RIVER FALLS, Minn. (CP) - Jussi Makkonen scored and set up Otto Honkaheimo's goal to lead Finland past Germany 4-1 Saturday at the world junior hockey championship.

Makkonen opened the scoring at 5:05 of the first and later found Honkaheimo, who put Finland up 2-0 at 6:47 of the second.

Petteri Nokelainen, at 13:39 of the second, and Lauri Korpikoski, with 10 seconds remaining in the third, also scored for Finland.

''This was a big game for us,'' said Nokelainen. ''We have to get in the top six.''

Florian Busch scored the lone goal for Germany, cutting Finland's lead to 3-1 at 4:03 of the third period.

All four Finland goals came on the power play, a fact not lost upon German assistant coach Uwe Krupp.

''You don't win hockey games in the penalty box,'' he said. ''If you play a physical brand of hockey and officials make marginal calls, it puts you at a disadvantage.''

Tuukka Rask made 23 saves for Finland while Youri Ziffzer stopped 30 shots for Germany.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

It depends a lot on the Sweden/Finland results. If Sweden wins, you'd expect the Canadians would take it easy against the Finns, rest their top guys and just try to avoid injuries.

But, then again, as this is a Sutter coached team . . . Ah hell, I vote thrashing! ;)
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Finland came back from a 4-1 deffiset to win 5-4, look for the Finns to be flying high. But with a Canadian team coached by Sutter will be pushing for the boys to get the game off and go striaght to the semi finals!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Pick_My_Nose
CC Rookie

Post by Pick_My_Nose »

Why would Finland even bother showing up? Those boys will be shaking in their boots, when they see the Red and White coming at them!
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose. But never, EVER, pick your friend's noses!!!!! BOOGER!!!
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

That exibition game verses the Finns Canada hit them so hard they were hurting in the third period. If Sutter's boys gives them the gas they will win it no problem.
of them in the back!
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Canada is going to slap finland around, thank god kipprusoff is slightly too lod to play in the WJ's but nonetheless, they are going to come out guns blazing and put the finns away early and then just cruise to a win, they have to intimidate their opponent s which i swhat they are going to do so they have that bye to the semis
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

http://tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp? ... =world_jrs

What a blowout, 8-1 and totally dominated the Finns. Sutter has this team playing unreal together.
of them in the back!
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

A thrashing it is!

Nice to see Carter and Perry potting some goals and Richards healthy (as usual he was lethal on the penalty kill).

Hopefully the bye into the semi-finals will let a couple of our defencemen get healthy - although I didn't think Getzlaf looked that out-of-place on the blue line.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Meerschaum wrote: Hopefully the bye into the semi-finals will let a couple of our defencemen get healthy - although I didn't think Getzlaf looked that out-of-place on the blue line.
getzlaf didn't play defense. we still had 6 dressed defensemen, instead of the usual 7 defensemen wjhc allows.
phaneuf-weber
syvret-belle
coburn-seabrook
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Actually, Getzlaf played a couple of shifts in place of Seabrook.

In a hillarious post-game interview, Sutter conceded that Seabrook had reinjured "his shoul . . . I mean it's an upper body injury". :lol:
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

Oh Great! Now Cam Barker is out for the rest of the tourney with mononucleosis. That'll teach him to kiss those damned North Dakotan girls.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?id=109581

Let's hope Seabrook's shoul . . . er . . . upper body injury improves with the two days off.
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

An injury update on Seabrook.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?id=109658

It also confirms that I wasn't hallucinating, and that really was Ryan Getzlaf playing defence during the third period after Seabrook went down.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Meerschaum wrote:An injury update on Seabrook.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/news_story.asp?id=109658

It also confirms that I wasn't hallucinating, and that really was Ryan Getzlaf playing defence during the third period after Seabrook went down.
i stand corrected.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Actually stinky Getzlaf looked pretty good back on defense, credit the kid for stepping up under pressure and doing it for the team.

Barker gone with mono, Seabrook gone with shoulder injury, Phaneuf gone with a 10 minute penalty, Getzlaf stepped up to the plate and really helped the team.
of them in the back!