Who are the Card Collectors here???

Do you collect hockey cards or other hockey/Canucks memorabilia? Dicuss your collections in this forum and network with other collectors.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Who are the Card Collectors here???

Post by tuzzi44 »

Hey guys, I've been a pretty big hockey card collectors since i was like 10 and i was just wondering how many peopls on here share this passion. I'm making this thread to talk about your collection or maybe even some trading and what not....
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
tey
CC Veteran

Post by tey »

I have tons of cards like 100,000 or more, I used to collect em yeards ago, before I bought a car, got bills etc, and before packs became 5 bucks each.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I got back into it around 99 and have been slowly building up a decent collection. Lots of Canucks naturally, but I also like collecting the players of yesteryear. Since I lived in Vegas though all this, ebay has been the centre of the hobby for me.

Right now, my collection is in boxes waiting to move. Prime card? maybe a Luongo Zenith RC graded 9.5? or some nice Canucks patch cards.

Once I'm unpacked again, trading could be possible. And I hear ya, Tey - $5 is the low end for any decent pack these days - now topping out at what? $250?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I'm a huge card collector - more so the past few years when they introduced patches and autographs.

My most expensive one is probably a Future Watch Sidney Crosby autographed.
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Ebay is for sure a huge part of the hobby nowadays. I've been buying boxes of the 06/07 artifacts and have had some incredible luck in the process. I pulled 2 markus naslund treasured swatches #/25 in the same box!! I've since bought 4 or 5 more Naslunds #/25 off of ebay.... is it crazy to try and get all 25 someday??

Another good pull i had last year was out of a box of ITG heroes and prospects. I went through the whole box hoping for at the very least the Crosby base card... in the last pack i pulled a Crosby auto... pretty sweet!
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
nuckknowitall1944
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckknowitall1944 »

I am also a collector, but not as much over the last couple of years i have purchased some cards on ebay an have some vintage sets like 80-81 opeechee,82-83 "",but one of my most prized cards was a pull i made a couple years back which is a ovechkin lemieux dual jersey aspiring card which is out of /50. i also have a gretzky rc ,messier rc,plenty of hull rc's,luongo graded zenith as well heatley graded rc an tons of auto's as well, it is a great hobby look forward to hearing about some more collections as well..
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

When I was in sixth or seventh grade (1984 I guess?), I had no hockey cards. I never bought any. A friend of mine generously gave me a "brownback" of Tony Esposito (goalie cards for some reason being worth more in those days). No idea what date that meant. The serious card collector of my school gave me three hundred cards in exchange for it. Instant collection!

I lost a few of them in card-tossing games on the schoolyard, and battered up most of the rest of them pretty good (though not as badly as the mythical acquaintance of a friend of mine, who disdainfully used a Wayne Gretzky card as a noisemaker on his bicycle tires). They're now in a shoebox under my bed at my parents' place, if the mice haven't eaten them like they did my Patrick O'Brian novels. Who is in that shoebox? Can't remember at all. I have vague memories of Tony Tanti, Wilf Paiement, and Ron Duguay, no doubt because of their distinctive names... But since we didn't have a television, they were only names to me.

A worthless collection, no doubt, but a charming document of a particular time and place.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I have bought some boxes in the past couple of years, but decided that money spent on the cards I actually wanted or could be a good investment was money better spent. Last year Upper Deck threw so many rookies into their sets that buying a box was a higher risk than usual.

My next set to build is the 69-70 OPC, which is the first set I collected way back when. I can't remember last Friday night, but I can remember exactly the place I opened my first pack and found a Bobby Hull card. I'm like 'Rainman' when it comes to remembering decent pulls.

I started putting money into cards as they seemed to be the only thing that held value. Of course, like the stock market, you need to know the hobby and the players. Sometime this year I plan to sell a lot of cards and go back to Europe for a couple of weeks. Investing in cards is a lot more fun than buying Microsoft stock.

PS: anyone out there want a Martin Brochu RC?
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I know what your saying about cards holding value. i got into card collecting when i was young and my parents didnt fight it... thinking "Hey this stuff could be sold when it comes time to set up for college"... and i was totally on board with it. until i realized, that i was in love with every single card that i owned!! and to this day, i havent sold a single one 8-)
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
tey
CC Veteran

Post by tey »

I got all sorts of great rookie cards from the 80s, Mario, Shanny etc, I also pulled a Pro Set Stanley Cup Hologram out of a pack, only 5000 of them made, when I got it, it was worth like a grand, now, ain't worth peaunuts, plus I havbe most of the early 90s sets. I got my car in 92, so that's about when I stopped buying cards.
Ilevakam
CC Veteran

Post by Ilevakam »

Did anyone ever collect the 93-94 hockey POGs? That was the only thing i seriously collected as a child, but i was only 6 or so, so it may have been something that only appealed to the POG generation, seeing is it was only made for one year. I got a great collection of the canucks tho
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I have a Patrick Roy rookie card in near mint. I also have a few sets from the early 90's. I gave a while back though.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Yep ...lots ... rookies ... Gretzky (3) Lemieux, Hull, couple of Messier & Bourques ... some other pretty cool cards include autographed Bobby Orr from the 76 Canada Cup ... swatch limited Valerie Kharlamov ...
... used to collect Gretzky cards too so I have 2nd year, 3rd, scoring/trophy cards etc.etc.

... also of interest ... I've got stacks of old Canuck programs from the mid 70's ... pretty neat to look back on them ... all pretty much in mint condition too.

Anyone flick cards when they were a kid ?? Knockdowns topsies .... lol too funny ... too fun.

New cards now are pretty expensive and priorities for me have changed with a family etc. ... but my son is gonna like 'em and appreciate them later !!

Grizz
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

Griiz, sounds like you've got quite the collection from back in the day there. I think its really cool that you have all those canucks programs and that you've been able to keep them in pretty good condition. Also, I've always wanted to get my hands on the Gretzky rookie... but with the amounts of fakes and reprinted crap floatin around i've never actually had the guts to buy one knowing all the risks 8-)

how did you get those rookies?? did you have them when you were young, not knowing who he was or did you buy them after everyone knew who he was??
BELIEVE.

Jonathan Toews
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Flick cards? You bet! I remember being some huge games back in the day at Annieville Elementary in Delta. I bent my share of corners, that's for sure. Those were the days.

I have some old programs as well, and found one on ebay from the '60's when Tony Esposito was in the lineup. I also have a ticket stub from the first Canucks game ever (my parents went to it) - the program I'm thinking was cut up and put on the wall.

These days you do need some expendable income to get decent cards, something that comes and goes in my case.