Would you trade Salo?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you trade Salo?

Only if the Canucks are out of playoff contention
32%
Never. Hold on to him then try to sign him
36%
Trade him at or before the deadline
32%

Total votes: 22

Momesso
CC Veteran

Would you trade Salo?

Post by Momesso »

The Canucks need a pointman like Salo, but they also need offensive depth upfront.

With additional talent like Edler, Bourdon and maybe even Koltsov being on the roster next year, and Salo being a UFA (and probably a highly sought after one), is it worth getting a young player + pick/prospect for him?

One thing is for sure, unless we dump A LOT of other salary (Morrison?) we certainly won't be able to afford him next year.

IMHO, if I was GM I would deal him at, or even before the deadline, if the canucks are still playing .500 hockey. If we are 20 games above .500, then obviously don't change a thing. But if offense is still a concern, I'd pull the trigger.

Before I thought that our defense will be thin, but given that the team is playing some of its best hockey right now, maybe we can handle it.
Eyes on the Prize
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I voted only if out of contention, but in my mind it has a lot more to do with whether Nonis will be able to sign him. Personally, if I were Nonis, I would go all out now and try to reach an agreement now for the next few years. If Salo won't commit for 2.5-3 million I would send him off on or before the deadline for some young prosepects / good draft picks to some buyer willing to pay a high price. (I think 2.5-3 is a relatively fair price given how brittle the guy is even though he has awesome upside - don't think this would force us to lose any salary to make it under the cap as I am betting there will be an increase of at least 2.5 (but even if I am wrong there, I don't think it would be that hard to trade him off after the season).

I would do this whether or not the team is in a position to make the playoffs. If we can make it in I don't think Salo is going to be the make or break man on the team. As well, our D situation is looking pretty good for the future and it would be nice to bolster up the forward situation by getting a blue chip prospect + draft picks etc.

Salo is definitely an asset, but considering the future of the team, and the seeming abundance of up-and-coming D (as you pointed out), I would rather have some solid offensive prospects.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Maybe I'm off base here but I think Nonis will sign him with little proble and not a loy more than he's being paid now. He neber plays a full season because of injury and is not the offensive threst that many would like to think he is. Ranked 24th in goals , 42nd in points, 147th in game played amongst NHL defensemen. They're not exactly putting him in the upper echelon. Using Sopel in LA as a referrence point he has 4 goals (same) and 11 pts in 15 game and get US$2.4 Salo has the same goals 4 and 10 assists in 24 games and get US$1,5.

Salo 0.58 pts per game Sopel 0.73 pts / game.

How much does Salo deserve ?

Salo has a plus 6 playing in front of Luongo, Sopel has a plus 3 in front of Cloutier
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sopel is way overpaid, and his salary is a product of the bygone era. That being said, I don't see Salo commanding 3 million. As said above, while he has the cannon of a shot, he's injured frequently, and has only scored 10 goals once. That being said, I seriously doubt he would sign an extension without testing the market. DN has to decide what a decent offer would be, and if Salo walks then he walks.

Again, he's trade bait at the deadline if we're not getting in. If healthy, he's the perfect 2-4 defenceman that can man the PP and add that extra dimension, considering his salary he may be the most valuable Canuck in trade talks.
MeesterFeester
AHL Prospect

Post by MeesterFeester »

IIMO it wouldn't be wise but there is the talented players such as Edler or Bourdon that would in the fututre be an asset to our team. If we did trade we do have Tremblay that could fill that spot easily. Not to mention we probably could get a good rookie such as Jeff Carter or Corey Perry and a seasoned vet or a draft pick, which in the long run it would inevitably help the team offensively. We could also add in one of our many grinders that we seem to stock pile.

So yeah , I think trading Salo could bode well for us with the right kind of deal.We do have defensive security.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Hard to say exactly, a lot of variables, but I'm more or less with DonCherry4PM. If we can get him signed for 2-3 years at $2.5-3 mil, then we do that and we do that now. If we're making the playoffs, then keep him, even with the shortage of offensive players, $1.5 mil is too much value for a playoff run, unless we get an unreal offer, but then all bets are off.

If we're out of the playoffs, then sure, off-load him and then maybe go after him in the off-season, get the both of best worlds if possible.

The hard part (what Nonis gets paid for) is if we're on the bubble for the playoffs, and get an offer that is a step forward for our future but could put our playoff run in jeopardy.
Mark
tuzzi44
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by tuzzi44 »

I would look around at the deadline, only if it seemed like we werent going to be able to sign him. i would hate to see him become a free agent and sign elsewhere, leaving us with nothing except some cap space. hes a huge asset and if we arent going to be able to sign him i would like to see us try to get some prospects or something for him. however if we are looking somewhat strong by playoff time, he can be a very important piece to our playoff team.... so tough call.

good poll question!!
BELIEVE.

"we did a fucking great job"
Jonathan Toews
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Too bad he is so injured this year, I like Sammy but it is all about how much he wants next year. If he wants too much and it doesn't look like we can afford him then trade him.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Whoa, get a Carter or Perry? Come on man. That's ridiculous. No way a team gives up that caliber of a player for Salo who may just be a rental player.

As for signing Salo right now, I heard somewhere that if a player signs an extension before January, then that extension plays into the cap hit, so technically the Canucks can not afford to sign him now. Can anyone confirm this?

As for whether Nonis should keep him or not, I think it depends. As soon as Nonis can afford to negotiate with him, he should. See what Sami's demands are. If it's deemed too expensive, trade him early for a winger. Look for a team that will need a D to make that playoff push (Atlanta, Carolina and Tampa come to mind). I could speculate names in return, but it's tough to say because it's hard to gauge the market right now.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

This question is too obscure.

Would I trade Salo for who?

1. Would you trade Salo for Ryan Whitney of the Penguins? Yes

2. Would you trade Salo for a 2nd round pick? Maybe, depends on where I am in the standings.

3. Would you trade Salo for the rights to Doug Lidster? No.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Larry Goodenough wrote:This question is too obscure.

Would I trade Salo for who?

1. Would you trade Salo for Ryan Whitney of the Penguins? Yes

2. Would you trade Salo for a 2nd round pick? Maybe, depends on where I am in the standings.

3. Would you trade Salo for the rights to Doug Lidster? No.
1. YES in a heatbeat.

2. Depends on which team is sending the 2nd

3. Dumbest question ever asked. Of course I would!
Hercules_Rockefeller
CC Rookie

Post by Hercules_Rockefeller »

Salo willl undoubtedly give us better return than a second. We gave up a second and skinner for Carney last year, who's a number 4 on a playoff team, and a third for Brown, who's a 6/7 on any team. If Salo's on the block come deadline time he'll be one of the most valuable defensemen avaliable, and if prescedent is any indication he'll fetch at least a low first rounder. With that kind of value, it'd be silly not to trade him.

Sometimes you have to part with players you like help your team.
Formerly Dangerous Dan.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Hercules_Rockefeller wrote:Salo willl undoubtedly give us better return than a second. We gave up a second and skinner for Carney last year, who's a number 4 on a playoff team, and a third for Brown, who's a 6/7 on any team. If Salo's on the block come deadline time he'll be one of the most valuable defensemen avaliable, and if prescedent is any indication he'll fetch at least a low first rounder. With that kind of value, it'd be silly not to trade him.

I'm not 100% sure he will be the most coveted D out there.

Markov, Stuart and Souray will all be out there. They may get more then Salo would. Either way, if Nonis moves him, it would be nice to sucker someone in to overpaying. By that I mean a winger and draft pick would be solid.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Hercules_Rockefeller wrote:Salo willl undoubtedly give us better return than a second. We gave up a second and skinner for Carney last year, who's a number 4 on a playoff team, and a third for Brown, who's a 6/7 on any team. If Salo's on the block come deadline time he'll be one of the most valuable defensemen avaliable, and if prescedent is any indication he'll fetch at least a low first rounder. With that kind of value, it'd be silly not to trade him.

Yes, Nonis gave a 2nd rounder for Carney, but most would agree he paid too much. Now that it's become apparant draft picks are more valuable than before the lockout, I'm not so sure anyone would "undoubtedly" give more.

Now, if he's so valuable that a team would give us a 1st rounder, why would you trade such value? Maybe he would stay in Vancouver for 5 yrs and 10 million. Maybe he would want 15 million.. I don't know what his agent and Nonis are talking about, so I'm not going to waste my time speculating about it as there are so many variables that we do not know.

Proposing trades without knowing if another team would accept is just a waste of time on this forum. Proposing just trading a guy without offering up what you would expect in return is even a bigger waste of time. That's was my point.
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

Were I Nonis, I would be talking long term now. See what it's going to take. Sign him on the last day of the regular season.

Markov & Souray are good comparables, save for the fact they're so overhyped. Each has different skill sets, but overall similar total value.

Again, were I DN, I'd prefer to have Salo than either of those two.

And it would be best for the franchise to keep Sami around another year or two, given that Bourdon is further away than Edler, and no one knows whether Koltsov will even come, much less be able to make the team.

But a first rounder? We'd have to be out of the playoff race, and that ain't going to happen.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)